hahabogus

Default Now if I only knew what a Swiss Roll was

Chocolate Mousse with Strawberry Coulis
by Paul Rankin
from Ready Steady Cook

Serves 1-2

Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time less than 10 mins
Ingredients

100g/4oz dark chocolate
120ml/4fl oz double cream
1/2 lemon, juice only
**1 slice swiss roll**
6 strawberries
cocoa sugar, to dust
For the strawberry coulis
85g/3oz strawberries

Method

1. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water and
cook until melted.

2. Place the cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks. Stir in the lemon
juice and whip until stiff.

3. Gently fold in the melted chocolate to give a marbled effect.

4. Place a three inch chefs ring on a serving plate and line with a slice
of **swiss roll**.

5. Cut the strawberries in half and use to line around the edge of the
ring.

6. Spoon the chocolate mixture on top and level off using a palette knife.

7. Refrigerate for up to 20 minutes (or up to an hour if time allows).

8. Remove the ring and dust with cocoa.

9. Place the strawberries into a mini food processor and blend until
smooth.

10. Spoon the strawberry coulis around the edge of the plate and serve.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Nancy Young

It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
like a spiral, know what I mean?

nancy
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> like a spiral, know what I mean?
>
> nancy

So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
filling?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Nancy Young

Nancy Young wrote:

> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> like a spiral, know what I mean?

Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it, I'd just use a slice of pound
cake (do they make that in chocolate?) or some kind of cake. Other
than the ? Hostess swiss roll, I have no idea where you'd find it.

nancy
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:34:18 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> like a spiral, know what I mean?
>
> nancy

Not necessarily chocolate. IME it's normally strawberry or apricot jam in a
vanilla/lemon sponge roll. In fact, the thought of a *chocolate* Swiss Roll
is bizarre.
--
Tim C.

Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in

> > It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> > like a spiral, know what I mean?

> So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
> filling?

Exactly! I haven't the vaguest idea if it actually has anything to
do with Swiss food, but that's what it's called.

nancy
hahabogus

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>

> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> like a spiral, know what I mean?
>
> nancy

A link I found a Link!

http://www.smart.com.mt/recipes/swissroll.shtml
--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> hahabogus > wrote in

> > Nancy Young > wrote in

> > It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> > like a spiral, know what I mean?

> A link I found a Link!

I knew you would! although I would call it a jelly roll. To me a
swiss roll is more like a (sp) busch noelle without the frosting.
But you get the general idea.

nancy
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:03:55 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> hahabogus > wrote in

>>> Nancy Young > wrote in

>>> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
>>> like a spiral, know what I mean?

>> A link I found a Link!

> I knew you would! although I would call it a jelly roll. To me a
> swiss roll is more like a (sp) busch noelle without the frosting.
> But you get the general idea.
>
> nancy

What was in that link is exactly what I think of as a Swiss roll. The
sponge is a bit thick, but otherwise that's it.
--
Tim C.
Nancy Young

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group1.htm

If you go there, you will see this company makes a variety of
Swiss Rolls. The chocolate is prominently featured.

nancy

PENMART01

jelly roll
Known since the mid-1800s, jelly rolls are cakes made of a thin sheet of SPONGE
CAKE, spread with jam or jelly (and sometimes whipped cream or frosting) and
rolled up. This type of cake is traditionally sprinkled with confectioners'
sugar, rather than being frosted. When cut, jelly rolls have an attractive
pinwheel design. The British term for jelly roll is Swiss roll .

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
MOM PEAGRAM

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>

> > It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> > like a spiral, know what I mean?
> >
> > nancy

> So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
> filling?

It can be any rolled thin sponge cake with filling, not just chocolate.

Nancy Young

PENMART01 wrote:

> jelly roll
> Known since the mid-1800s, jelly rolls are cakes made of a thin sheet of SPONGE
> CAKE, spread with jam or jelly (and sometimes whipped cream or frosting) and
> rolled up. This type of cake is traditionally sprinkled with confectioners'
> sugar, rather than being frosted. When cut, jelly rolls have an attractive
> pinwheel design. The British term for jelly roll is Swiss roll .

Thank you. nancy
MOM PEAGRAM

Here's mine:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Chocolate Cream Roll

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Family

-----MM BY H. PEAGRAM-----
6 tb Flour
6 tb Cocoa
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/4 ts Salt
4 md Eggs
3/4 c Sugar
1 t Vanilla
Icing sugar
Whipped Cream

Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, THREE times, onto a sheet
of waxed paper. Beat egg whites til thick and fluffy. Add sugar
gradually while beating, then add yolks and vanilla. Mixture should
be thick and lemony. Sift dry mixture over egg mix and fold in
gently. Pepare an edged cookie pan by greasing and lining with waxed
paper. Pour batter onto pan and spread evenly. Bake at 400 F for
12-15 minutes. When baked, remove from pan and roll in a damp tea
towel on which you have sprinkled some icing sugar. When cool,
unroll, trim off any crusty edges. Spread whipped cream on cake and
roll up. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on the side.

Courtesy H. Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1192 Calories; 24g Fat (15.1%
calories from fat); 50g Protein; 252g Carbohydrate; 48g Dietary Fiber; 187mg
Cholesterol; 281mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 3
1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"hahabogus" > wrote in message

> Chocolate Mousse with Strawberry Coulis
> by Paul Rankin
> from Ready Steady Cook
>
> Serves 1-2
>
> Preparation time less than 30 mins
> Cooking time less than 10 mins
> Ingredients
>
> 100g/4oz dark chocolate
> 120ml/4fl oz double cream
> 1/2 lemon, juice only
> **1 slice swiss roll**
> 6 strawberries
> cocoa sugar, to dust
> For the strawberry coulis
> 85g/3oz strawberries
>
> Method
>
> 1. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water and
> cook until melted.
>
> 2. Place the cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks. Stir in the lemon
> juice and whip until stiff.
>
> 3. Gently fold in the melted chocolate to give a marbled effect.
>
> 4. Place a three inch chefs ring on a serving plate and line with a slice
> of **swiss roll**.
>
> 5. Cut the strawberries in half and use to line around the edge of the
> ring.
>
> 6. Spoon the chocolate mixture on top and level off using a palette knife.
>
> 7. Refrigerate for up to 20 minutes (or up to an hour if time allows).
>
> 8. Remove the ring and dust with cocoa.
>
> 9. Place the strawberries into a mini food processor and blend until
> smooth.
>
> 10. Spoon the strawberry coulis around the edge of the plate and serve.
>

> --
> Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> and water.
> --------
> FIELDS, W. C.

PENMART01

>Subject: Now if I only knew what a Swiss Roll <S>was</S> is.

Swiss Roll is the British term for Jelly Roll.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

limey

"hahabogus" wrote in message >
> > Nancy Young wrote > >
> >
> > It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> > like a spiral, know what I mean?
> >
> > nancy
> >

> A link I found a Link!
>
> http://www.smart.com.mt/recipes/swissroll.shtml

That's a British recipe - hence the reference to caster sugar,
icing sugar, and greaseproof paper and calling it a Swiss roll.
However, when I make it I turn it out onto a clean tea towel, not
greaseproof paper, and roll up the sponge cake and towel
together, then allow to cool. If you cool it flat on greaseproof
paper, the sponge will break when you try to roll it.
I just wish I could find a bakery version these days - I use it
in making trifle and it would make assembly much simpler
and quicker.

Dora

limey

"Nancy Young" wrote in message >
> http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group1.htm
>
> If you go there, you will see this company makes a variety of
> Swiss Rolls. The chocolate is prominently featured.
>
> nancy

Goodness, Nancy - that's a real flashback. My uncle used to work in the
office at the J. Lyons headquarters. Regular Lyons cafés/cafeterias were
cheap and used to be all through London; the Corner Houses were in the
London West End (main shopping area) and were restaurants and a little more
ritzy. I haven't thought about them for years and have been away for so
long I'm not sure they're still in business.

Dora

zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
>>like a spiral, know what I mean?

> Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it, I'd just use a slice of pound
> cake (do they make that in chocolate?) or some kind of cake. Other
> than the ? Hostess swiss roll, I have no idea where you'd find it.
>
> nancy

So, in the recipe could you substitute a Twinkie, sliced lengthwise?
(the presentation would be all wrong, but I bet it would work...)

Bob
Nancy Young

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message >
> > http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group1.htm
> >
> > If you go there, you will see this company makes a variety of
> > Swiss Rolls. The chocolate is prominently featured.

> Goodness, Nancy - that's a real flashback. My uncle used to work in the
> office at the J. Lyons headquarters. Regular Lyons cafés/cafeterias were
> cheap and used to be all through London; the Corner Houses were in the
> London West End (main shopping area) and were restaurants and a little more
> ritzy. I haven't thought about them for years and have been away for so
> long I'm not sure they're still in business.

Oh, isn't that funny. I had never heard of them before (why
would I have?) ... I was only looking for an illustration of what
is known here as a Swiss Roll. Obviously, Alan gets the idea and
can use whatever he thinks would substitute if he can't find Swiss
Roll or jelly roll/whatever anyone wants to call it.

Your Lyons sort of reminds me of either Horn & Hardart or
(help me, someone) Chock Full of Nuts? corner stores. One of them
had counter service, and I would get the *incredibly* fattening
date nut and cream cheese sandwiches.

nancy
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >>It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> >>like a spiral, know what I mean?

> > Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it, I'd just use a slice of pound
> > cake (do they make that in chocolate?) or some kind of cake. Other
> > than the ? Hostess swiss roll, I have no idea where you'd find it.

> So, in the recipe could you substitute a Twinkie, sliced lengthwise?
> (the presentation would be all wrong, but I bet it would work...)
>
> Bob

(laughing!) Don't be mean, I was trying to help Alan out, he gets
the idea what the recipe called for, he didn't know what swiss roll
was, now he knows. As a matter of fact, Yodels, if you peel off the
chocolate, are closer to what I know as swiss roll than about anything
else.

Unless he feels like making a major project out of his dessert, he
should take a stroll down the frozen food aisle for what kind of cakes
are available. By now, I'm sure he's sorry he asked.

nancy (hmmm ... Yodels ... Swiss rolls ... I guess now I know why
they were called Yodels ... yodeling is swiss, no?)

zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it, I'd just use a slice of pound
>>>cake (do they make that in chocolate?) or some kind of cake. Other
>>>than the ? Hostess swiss roll, I have no idea where you'd find it.

>>So, in the recipe could you substitute a Twinkie, sliced lengthwise?
>>(the presentation would be all wrong, but I bet it would work...)
>>
>>Bob

> (laughing!) Don't be mean, I was trying to help Alan out, he gets
> the idea what the recipe called for, he didn't know what swiss roll
> was, now he knows. As a matter of fact, Yodels, if you peel off the
> chocolate, are closer to what I know as swiss roll than about anything
> else.
>
> Unless he feels like making a major project out of his dessert, he
> should take a stroll down the frozen food aisle for what kind of cakes
> are available. By now, I'm sure he's sorry he asked.
>
> nancy (hmmm ... Yodels ... Swiss rolls ... I guess now I know why
> they were called Yodels ... yodeling is swiss, no?)

I wan't being mean, I was actually (almost) serious. The only reason a
sliced or butterflied Twinkie wouldn't work in the original recipe is
that it would look ridiculous.

Best regards,
Bob
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> nancy (hmmm ... Yodels ... Swiss rolls ... I guess now I know why
> they were called Yodels ... yodeling is swiss, no?)

No, Yodeling is just annoying.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Arri London

hahabogus wrote:

> Chocolate Mousse with Strawberry Coulis
> by Paul Rankin
> from Ready Steady Cook
>
> Serves 1-2
>
> Preparation time less than 30 mins
> Cooking time less than 10 mins
> Ingredients
>
> 100g/4oz dark chocolate
> 120ml/4fl oz double cream
> 1/2 lemon, juice only
> **1 slice swiss roll**

It's generic UK speak for any rolled up spongecake filled with either a
creamy filling or jam. Can be iced or not.

> 6 strawberries
> cocoa sugar, to dust
> For the strawberry coulis
> 85g/3oz strawberries
>
> Method
>
> 1. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water and
> cook until melted.
>
> 2. Place the cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks. Stir in the lemon
> juice and whip until stiff.
>
> 3. Gently fold in the melted chocolate to give a marbled effect.
>
> 4. Place a three inch chefs ring on a serving plate and line with a slice
> of **swiss roll**.
>
> 5. Cut the strawberries in half and use to line around the edge of the
> ring.
>
> 6. Spoon the chocolate mixture on top and level off using a palette knife.
>
> 7. Refrigerate for up to 20 minutes (or up to an hour if time allows).
>
> 8. Remove the ring and dust with cocoa.
>
> 9. Place the strawberries into a mini food processor and blend until
> smooth.
>
> 10. Spoon the strawberry coulis around the edge of the plate and serve.
>

> --
> Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> and water.
> --------
> FIELDS, W. C.

Arri London

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>

> > It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> > like a spiral, know what I mean?
> >
> > nancy

> So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
> filling?

Yes, sort of. Can be any flavour cake, any sort of filling and any sort
of icing or not. In the posted recipe, might go with white cake and
strawberry jam filling. Doesn't need to be iced.
Arri London

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message >
> > http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group1.htm
> >
> > If you go there, you will see this company makes a variety of
> > Swiss Rolls. The chocolate is prominently featured.
> >
> > nancy

> Goodness, Nancy - that's a real flashback. My uncle used to work in the
> office at the J. Lyons headquarters. Regular Lyons cafés/cafeterias were
> cheap and used to be all through London; the Corner Houses were in the
> London West End (main shopping area) and were restaurants and a little more
> ritzy. I haven't thought about them for years and have been away for so
> long I'm not sure they're still in business.
>
> Dora

Lyons is still in business, but the last Corner House disappeared some
years ago.

hahabogus > wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :

>> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
>> like a spiral, know what I mean?
>>
>> nancy

> So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
> filling?

Yup.

Steve the Sauropodman > wrote:

> And Drake's used to call them "Yodels"...go figure.

And Drakes still does call them Yodels, but there
is a difference. Drakes' Yodels are wrapped in a
thin chocolate coating.

what?

> wrote in message ...
> hahabogus > wrote:
> > Nancy Young > wrote in
> > :

> >> It's that rolled up chocolate cake with white filling. So it looks
> >> like a spiral, know what I mean?
> >>
> >> nancy

> > So it is like a jelly roll except with chocolate cake and some white
> > filling?

> Yup.

In the Uk a Swiss roll isn't necessarily chocolate cake. It can also be a
plain sponge cake rolled up with either strawberry or raspberry jam, and
sometimes with butter cream as well.