Matthew

Default Making sorbet with the minimal amount of sugar

Hi:

We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
found one cookbook
that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
that to
keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
sugar.

My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?

My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do not
want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet enough
as it is.

Thank You

Matthew

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 09:08:15p, Matthew wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Hi:
>
> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
> found one cookbook
> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
> that to
> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
> sugar.
>
> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>
> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do not
> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet enough
> as it is.
>
> Thank You
>
> Matthew

Add a beaten egg white and a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin dissolved in
some of the fruit juice. This will smooth out the texture. You still will
need to add some sugar.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-1, 08/09/2005
Tested on: 8/9/2005 9:52:22 PM

zxcvbob

Matthew wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
> found one cookbook
> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
> that to
> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
> sugar.
>
> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>
> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do not
> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet enough
> as it is.
>
> Thank You
>
> Matthew

Without the sugar, you might need a little bit of alcohol or glycerin to
lower the freezing point and to inhibit crystal growth. I don't know
how large your freezer is, but try adding a tablespoon or two of vodka.
Another thing to try would be a vegetable gum.

HTH

Bob
Marcella Peek

In article .com>,
"Matthew" > wrote:

> Hi:
>
> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
> found one cookbook
> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
> that to
> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
> sugar.
>
> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>
> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do not
> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet enough
> as it is.
>
> Thank You
>
> Matthew

I always add a couple of tablespoons of light corn syrup and that really
helps keep sorbets from getting too icy.

You still might need to add a little sugar syrup. The base should taste
sweet before you freeze as you don't taste sweetness as well in very
cold things.

marcella
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 09 Aug 2005 09:08:15p, Matthew wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
>> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
>> found one cookbook
>> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
>> that to
>> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
>> sugar.
>>
>> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>>
>> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do
>> not
>> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet
>> enough
>> as it is.
>>
>> Thank You
>>
>> Matthew
>>

> Add a beaten egg white and a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin dissolved
> in
> some of the fruit juice. This will smooth out the texture. You still
> will
> need to add some sugar.

Wayne do you have a recipe for this? I also would like to make sorbet
but the usual sugar content puts me off

Ophelia

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Matthew wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
>> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
>> found one cookbook
>> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
>> that to
>> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
>> sugar.
>>
>> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>>
>> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do
>> not
>> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet
>> enough
>> as it is.
>>
>> Thank You
>>
>> Matthew
>>

> Without the sugar, you might need a little bit of alcohol or glycerin
> to lower the freezing point and to inhibit crystal growth. I don't
> know how large your freezer is, but try adding a tablespoon or two of
> vodka. Another thing to try would be a vegetable gum.

Bob do you have an actual recipe for this please?

Ophelia

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 10 Aug 2005 12:10:59p, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue 09 Aug 2005 09:08:15p, Matthew wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
>>> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
>>> found one cookbook
>>> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
>>> that to
>>> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
>>> sugar.
>>>
>>> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>>>
>>> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do
>>> not want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet
>>> enough as it is.
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>>

>> Add a beaten egg white and a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin dissolved
>> in some of the fruit juice. This will smooth out the texture. You
>> still will need to add some sugar.

> Wayne do you have a recipe for this? I also would like to make sorbet
> but the usual sugar content puts me off

I posted this not long ago, Ophelia. It's one of my favorites:

Fresh Tangerine Sorbet

3-1/2 cups freshly squeezed tangerine juice
3/4 cups simple syrup
2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 egg white

Refrigerate juice, tightly covered. Heat simple syrup to just below
boiling. Pour over grated zest in a heatproof container. Cool to room
temperature, then cover tightly. Store juice and syrup mixture separately
in the refrigerator overnight. Next day, combine juice, syrup mixture, and
lemon juice. Pour the mixture into the machine and begin freezing.
Meanwhile, beat egg white until very loose and frothy, but before peaks
form. When mixture in freezer is beginning to thicken, add egg white and
continue freezing until finished.

Note: To add unflavored gelatin to this, soften 1 teaspoon gelatin in 1/2
cup of the tangerine juice. Warm mixture gently, stirring constantly,
until thoroughly dissolved. Add to remaining juice and store in
refrigerator overnight.

I sometimes adjust the amount of simple syrup according to how sweet the
juice is, more or less.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 10 Aug 2005 12:10:59p, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Add a beaten egg white and a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin
>>> dissolved
>>> in some of the fruit juice. This will smooth out the texture. You
>>> still will need to add some sugar.

>> Wayne do you have a recipe for this? I also would like to make
>> sorbet
>> but the usual sugar content puts me off

> I posted this not long ago, Ophelia. It's one of my favorites:
>
> Fresh Tangerine Sorbet

Many many thanks Wayne I must have missed it.

It has been saved and stored) If you have any
more............................

zxcvbob

Ophelia wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Matthew wrote:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
>>>time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
>>>found one cookbook
>>>that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
>>>that to
>>>keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
>>>sugar.
>>>
>>>My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>>>
>>>My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do
>>>not
>>>want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet
>>>enough
>>>as it is.
>>>
>>>Thank You
>>>
>>>Matthew
>>>

>>Without the sugar, you might need a little bit of alcohol or glycerin
>>to lower the freezing point and to inhibit crystal growth. I don't
>>know how large your freezer is, but try adding a tablespoon or two of
>>vodka. Another thing to try would be a vegetable gum.

> Bob do you have an actual recipe for this please?
>
> Ophelia

No. The little bit of alcohol is something I read about in Cooks
Illustrated (I think) a long time ago. Vegetable gum (guar or bean gum)
is what commercial ice cream makers use to prevent graininess --
especially in sherbet.

Bob
Ophelia

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message > No. The little bit
of alcohol is something I read about in Cooks
> Illustrated (I think) a long time ago. Vegetable gum (guar or bean
> gum) is what commercial ice cream makers use to prevent graininess --
> especially in sherbet.

Ok thank you for your tips Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 10 Aug 2005 01:21:38p, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Wayne do you have a recipe for this? I also would like to make
>>> sorbet but the usual sugar content puts me off

>> I posted this not long ago, Ophelia. It's one of my favorites:
>>
>> Fresh Tangerine Sorbet

> Many many thanks Wayne I must have missed it.
>
> It has been saved and stored) If you have any
> more............................

You're very welcome. There are two other sorbets that I especially like.
One I actually use the same basic recipe with slight variations. Crush and
gently heat enough black or red raspberries to yield the same amount of
juice (put fruit through food mill). Omit the zest and lemon juice. To
the black raspberries, add 1/4 cup Chambord liqueur; to the red
raspberries, add 1/4 cup Framboise liqueur. Continue with remaining
recipe.

The other I rarely have a chance to make because I can almost never find
the fruit... Crush and heat enough black or red currants to yield at least
3 cups of juice when put through jelly bag. (Reserve a tablespoon or so of
the seeds to add in when freezing.) Combine juice with 1-1/4 cups
superfine (castor) (or to taste) sugar and bring to a slow simmer, just
long enough for the sugar to be completely dissolved. Chill overnight.
Omit simple syrup, zest, and lemon juice. Add 1/4 cup Creme De Cassis to
the black currant. I don't add any liqueur to the red currant. Follow
remaining procedure as in original recipe.

That's pretty much the extent of my sorbet efforts. I tried kiwi sorbet
once, but it had a wretched texture!

Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Matthew wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
> > time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
> > found one cookbook that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and
> > ices. However it seems that to keep the sorbet / ice from getting
> > chalky you have to add alot of sugar.

> > My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
> >
> > My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do
> > not want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet
> > enough as it is.
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Matthew

> Without the sugar, you might need a little bit of alcohol or glycerin to
> lower the freezing point and to inhibit crystal growth. I don't know
> how large your freezer is, but try adding a tablespoon or two of vodka.
> Another thing to try would be a vegetable gum.
>
> HTH
>
> Bob

I'm pretty sure that Cook's Illustrated treatise on the subject (don't
remember when, though) involved vodka.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:

> >>Without the sugar, you might need a little bit of alcohol or glycerin
> >>to lower the freezing point and to inhibit crystal growth. I don't
> >>know how large your freezer is, but try adding a tablespoon or two of
> >>vodka. Another thing to try would be a vegetable gum.

> > Bob do you have an actual recipe for this please?
> >
> > Ophelia

> No. The little bit of alcohol is something I read about in Cooks
> Illustrated (I think) a long time ago. Vegetable gum (guar or bean gum)
> is what commercial ice cream makers use to prevent graininess --
> especially in sherbet.
>
> Bob

<whoops> I posted my reply to your first reply before reading this one..
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Margaret Suran

Matthew wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. We had not used it for a long
> time due the fact that ice cream is a high fat endeavour. We had
> found one cookbook
> that gave us recipes for creating sorbet and ices. However it seems
> that to
> keep the sorbet / ice from getting chalky you have to add alot of
> sugar.
>
> My first question is why does sugar hold off the chalkiness ?
>
> My second question is , is there something else we can add ? I do not
> want to add a sugar substitute, the fruit we are using is sweet enough
> as it is.
>
> Thank You
>
> Matthew

See if this is something you can use. It is from today's NY Times

Recipe: Forest Berry Gelato

Published: August 10, 2005

Time: 20 minutes, plus freezing
½ ccup mixed frozen berries, thawed
½ cup frozen raspberries, thawed
½ cup Demerara or turbinado sugar
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup organic low-fat yogurt
1 cup organic whole milk
2 egg whites

1. Place a shallow 1-quart glass or ceramic baking dish in freezer to
chill. Combine all berries in a strainer and strain over a bowl,
reserving liquid. Purée half the berries; reserve remaining whole berries.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolk together. Stir in
yogurt, milk, puréed berries and 1 tablespoon reserved berry liquid.
In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Stir into yogurt mixture.
3. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Fold in reserved whole berries and
quickly transfer to chilled baking dish. Cover securely with plastic
wrap and freeze until hardened, about 1 hour. Serve within 24 hours in
chilled serving bowls.

Yield: 3 cups (4 servings).

Recipe: Raspberry Lime Rickey Sorbet

Published: August 10, 2005

Time: 15 minutes, plus 4 hours' refrigeration and 2 hours' freezing
1 quart (about 1 pound) fresh raspberries½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons lime juice (from about 3 limes)
1½ cups sparkling water
1 teaspoon minced lime zest, for garnish (optional).

1. In a medium saucepan, combine raspberries, sugar, salt and ¼ cup
water. Place over medium heat, and stir about 1 minute to dissolve as
much sugar as possible. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to
low. Simmer until berries have begun to split apart and release their
juices, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a container with a tight-fitting
lid, and strain berries, pressing through as much fruit pulp as
possible. Add lime juice and sparkling water, and whisk to combine.
Cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

3. Churn sorbet in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's
instructions. Pack into a container with a tight-fitting lid, and
freeze 2 hours. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Spoon
into dishes, and garnish with a sprinkling of lime zest.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:

>>>Bob do you have an actual recipe for this please?
>>>
>>>Ophelia

>>No. The little bit of alcohol is something I read about in Cooks
>>Illustrated (I think) a long time ago. Vegetable gum (guar or bean gum)
>>is what commercial ice cream makers use to prevent graininess --
>>especially in sherbet.
>>
>>Bob

> <whoops> I posted my reply to your first reply before reading this one..

It confirms where I *thought* I read about it. Might make it easier for
Ophilia to find the article.

Best regards,
Bob

Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 10 Aug 2005 01:21:38p, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I posted this not long ago, Ophelia. It's one of my favorites:
>>>
>>> Fresh Tangerine Sorbet

>> Many many thanks Wayne I must have missed it.
>>
>> It has been saved and stored) If you have any
>> more............................

> You're very welcome. There are two other sorbets that I especially
> like.
> One I actually use the same basic recipe with slight variations.
> Crush and
> gently heat enough black or red raspberries to yield the same amount
> of
> juice (put fruit through food mill). Omit the zest and lemon juice.
> the black raspberries, add 1/4 cup Chambord liqueur; to the red
> raspberries, add 1/4 cup Framboise liqueur. Continue with remaining
> recipe.
>
> The other I rarely have a chance to make because I can almost never
> find
> the fruit... Crush and heat enough black or red currants to yield at
> least
> 3 cups of juice when put through jelly bag. (Reserve a tablespoon or
> so of
> the seeds to add in when freezing.) Combine juice with 1-1/4 cups
> superfine (castor) (or to taste) sugar and bring to a slow simmer,
> just
> long enough for the sugar to be completely dissolved. Chill
> overnight.
> Omit simple syrup, zest, and lemon juice. Add 1/4 cup Creme De Cassis
> the black currant. I don't add any liqueur to the red currant.
> Follow
> remaining procedure as in original recipe.
>
> That's pretty much the extent of my sorbet efforts. I tried kiwi
> sorbet
> once, but it had a wretched texture!
>
> Enjoy!

thank you very much Wayne) all saved

Ophelia

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:

>>>No. The little bit of alcohol is something I read about in Cooks
>>>Illustrated (I think) a long time ago. Vegetable gum (guar or bean
>>>gum) is what commercial ice cream makers use to prevent graininess --
>>>especially in sherbet.
>>>
>>>Bob

>> <whoops> I posted my reply to your first reply before reading this
>> one..

> It confirms where I *thought* I read about it. Might make it easier
> for Ophilia to find the article.

Article?? what article? I seem to be missing posts again