Loire21

Default Leave well enough alone

The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned, simpler is
better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on their
own. Lavender creme brulee may be perfectly nice, but a creme brulee on its own
is better. Fries with nothing but salt have it all over seasoned fries, or
fries with garlic, or pepper, whatever else some enterprising chef decides to
put on them.

But chefs, like opera directors, just can't seem to leave well enough alone.
They have to innovate. Please, stop innovating, and just give us a perfectly
prepared Waldorf salad or Boston cream pie with no fancy frills.

I find myself saying this all the time, as I did this weekend. I sampled two
desserts at a rather expensive restaurant: Boston banana cream pie, and angel
food strawberry shortcake, both with disappointing results.

As is the custom nowadays, both desserts had been prepared in small circular
molds, with fancily decorated sauce surrounding them on the plate.

The Boston cream pie was not topped by a chocolate glaze, but rather by a thick
round of hard, rather tasteless chocolate. The cake itself and the cream were
quite nice, but the flavor of the banana overpowered them both. The banana was
a case of gilding the lily. Just leave the lilies alone!

The strawberry shortcake was encased in a shell of hardened white chocolate,
which, I'm afraid added nothing to the cake. The angel food cake absorbed the
syrup so that it was a soggy gop. The strawberries and cream were fine. The
truth is, a dessert of just strawberries and cream would have been so much
better!

To our restaurant chefs: Just stick to the basics and we'll all be better off.
JimLane

Loire21 wrote:
> The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned, simpler is
> better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on their
> own. Lavender creme brulee may be perfectly nice, but a creme brulee on its own
> is better. Fries with nothing but salt have it all over seasoned fries, or
> fries with garlic, or pepper, whatever else some enterprising chef decides to
> put on them.
>
> But chefs, like opera directors, just can't seem to leave well enough alone.
> They have to innovate. Please, stop innovating, and just give us a perfectly
> prepared Waldorf salad or Boston cream pie with no fancy frills.
>
> I find myself saying this all the time, as I did this weekend. I sampled two
> desserts at a rather expensive restaurant: Boston banana cream pie, and angel
> food strawberry shortcake, both with disappointing results.
>
> As is the custom nowadays, both desserts had been prepared in small circular
> molds, with fancily decorated sauce surrounding them on the plate.
>
> The Boston cream pie was not topped by a chocolate glaze, but rather by a thick
> round of hard, rather tasteless chocolate. The cake itself and the cream were
> quite nice, but the flavor of the banana overpowered them both. The banana was
> a case of gilding the lily. Just leave the lilies alone!
>
> The strawberry shortcake was encased in a shell of hardened white chocolate,
> which, I'm afraid added nothing to the cake. The angel food cake absorbed the
> syrup so that it was a soggy gop. The strawberries and cream were fine. The
> truth is, a dessert of just strawberries and cream would have been so much
> better!
>
> To our restaurant chefs: Just stick to the basics and we'll all be better off.

Go to McD's, because that is the final outcome of what you are
advocating in a fashion. If everyone cooked everything just alike, you
would end up being bored to death. Just think about how much
satisfaction you would be missing as you express yourself in bitching
about the food.

Here's your review as you would have it.

Went to ABC and had a very good piece of salmon grilled on wood. But, it
was just like the one I had at XYZ and at 123 and at 9F6. No real reason
to go there for the food, it is the exactly same as everywhere else, but
the atmosphere is a bit quainter than my normal haunts. So, don;t go
there for the food, go there to be quaint.

What a crock.

jim
Loire21

>JimLane wrote:

>What a crock.

Thanks, Jim.

Michael Rolfe

"Loire21" > wrote in message

<snips>

> The Boston cream pie was not topped by a chocolate glaze, but rather by

a thick
> round of hard, rather tasteless chocolate. The cake itself and the cream

were
> quite nice, but the flavor of the banana overpowered them both. The

banana was
> a case of gilding the lily. Just leave the lilies alone!
>
> The strawberry shortcake was encased in a shell of hardened white

chocolate,
> which, I'm afraid added nothing to the cake. The angel food cake

absorbed the
> syrup so that it was a soggy gop. The strawberries and cream were fine.

The
> truth is, a dessert of just strawberries and cream would have been so

much
> better!
>
> To our restaurant chefs: Just stick to the basics and we'll all be

better off.

It seems to me that you had experience of something being done poorly, and
the problem with it was how it was done more than what it was. To me, the
moral of your tale is, "Whatever you do, do it well" Doing something poorly
isn't a case for not doing it well.

I have in mind a recent Stilton Cheesecake with Peppery Port Compote
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...wit_4790.shtml)
I recently made. It's scarcely classically simple cheesecake but no-one who
ate it seemed to think there was any reason why I shouldn't have made it.
Guess I got it right.

Boron Elgar

Default =

On 25 May 2004 19:31:59 GMT, (Loire21) wrote:

>The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned, simpler is
>better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on their
>own. Lavender creme brulee may be perfectly nice, but a creme brulee on its own
>is better. Fries with nothing but salt have it all over seasoned fries, or
>fries with garlic, or pepper, whatever else some enterprising chef decides to
>put on them.
>
>But chefs, like opera directors, just can't seem to leave well enough alone.
>They have to innovate. Please, stop innovating, and just give us a perfectly
>prepared Waldorf salad or Boston cream pie with no fancy frills.
>
>I find myself saying this all the time, as I did this weekend. I sampled two
>desserts at a rather expensive restaurant: Boston banana cream pie, and angel
>food strawberry shortcake, both with disappointing results.
>
>As is the custom nowadays, both desserts had been prepared in small circular
>molds, with fancily decorated sauce surrounding them on the plate.
>
>The Boston cream pie was not topped by a chocolate glaze, but rather by a thick
>round of hard, rather tasteless chocolate. The cake itself and the cream were
>quite nice, but the flavor of the banana overpowered them both. The banana was
>a case of gilding the lily. Just leave the lilies alone!
>
>The strawberry shortcake was encased in a shell of hardened white chocolate,
>which, I'm afraid added nothing to the cake. The angel food cake absorbed the
>syrup so that it was a soggy gop. The strawberries and cream were fine. The
>truth is, a dessert of just strawberries and cream would have been so much
>better!

I'd say you were the victim of poor cooking and that is unrelated to
innovation and craft in the kitchen. There is nothing wrong with
varying or altering a "classic" as long as the results produce
something wonderful.

>To our restaurant chefs: Just stick to the basics and we'll all be better off.

I have a feeling that had you ordered regular old Boston cream pie or
strawberry shortcake at this place, you'd have gotten slop, too.

Boron

Peter Aitken

"Loire21" > wrote in message
> The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned,

simpler is
> better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on

their
> own. Lavender creme brulee may be perfectly nice, but a creme brulee on

its own
> is better. Fries with nothing but salt have it all over seasoned fries, or
> fries with garlic, or pepper, whatever else some enterprising chef decides

> put on them.
>
> But chefs, like opera directors, just can't seem to leave well enough

alone.
> They have to innovate. Please, stop innovating, and just give us a

perfectly
> prepared Waldorf salad or Boston cream pie with no fancy frills.
>
> I find myself saying this all the time, as I did this weekend. I sampled

two
> desserts at a rather expensive restaurant: Boston banana cream pie, and

angel
> food strawberry shortcake, both with disappointing results.
>
> As is the custom nowadays, both desserts had been prepared in small

circular
> molds, with fancily decorated sauce surrounding them on the plate.
>
> The Boston cream pie was not topped by a chocolate glaze, but rather by a

thick
> round of hard, rather tasteless chocolate. The cake itself and the cream

were
> quite nice, but the flavor of the banana overpowered them both. The banana

was
> a case of gilding the lily. Just leave the lilies alone!
>
> The strawberry shortcake was encased in a shell of hardened white

chocolate,
> which, I'm afraid added nothing to the cake. The angel food cake absorbed

the
> syrup so that it was a soggy gop. The strawberries and cream were fine.

The
> truth is, a dessert of just strawberries and cream would have been so much
> better!
>
> To our restaurant chefs: Just stick to the basics and we'll all be better

off.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments but not your prescription.
Remember, today's classics were once someone's experiments!

--
Peter Aitken

Anthony

"Loire21" > wrote in message
> The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned,

simpler is
> better.

This is a matter of individual taste and in general I agree, fine
ingredients, nicely cooked, simply presented and politely served are hard to
beat. OTOH look at what, for example, Thomas Keller is doing (or perhaps
was doing!) at The French Laundry and you can see how interesting pushing
the limits can be.

In rec.food.cooking, Loire21 > wrote:
> The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned, simpler is
> better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on their
> own. Lavender creme brulee may be perfectly nice, but a creme brulee on its own
> is better. Fries with nothing but salt have it all over seasoned fries, or
> fries with garlic, or pepper, whatever else some enterprising chef decides to
> put on them.

Malt vinegar can be nice...

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
A.C.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>I can't for the life of me figure out (and here's where I'll
> get flamed) the fascination with adding garlic to mashed potatoes. I love
> garlic. I love mashed potatoes. But put them together and I feel
> absolutely no sense of overwhelming joy. Yet I add a little minced garlic
> if I'm making potato pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes. Go figure.

i'm not a big fan of raw garlic in mashed potatoes however, roasted garlic
mashers nearly give me wood! :-P

JAdkins392

I've witnessed this from inside the kitchen and inside the culinary schools. I
think part of the problem is the popularity of the term "culinary arts". Many
high schools have changed the name of their home ec classes to "culinary arts".
The kids from these classes talk to a recruiter from a culinary school, get
fed a bunch of hype about the glamour of the profession, and here we are 10-15
years into this trend and nobody really understands culinary craft anymore.
There is no glamour in craft. Craft won't get you on the Food Network. Its
all about creativity and trying to create something unique and different.
Which is good to a point but it seems the profession has lost its perspective.
There are very few culinary artists out there. I think there is quite a bit
of culinary folk art out there and some of it is really good but very little
"high art". I've witnessed many mediocre attempts at art and admittly I made a
few in my younger days but now I'm older and my tastes have changed. I think
leaving the profession allowed me to step back and view things differently. I
haven't cooked professionaly for a couple of years now but I think I've learned
alot and improved in certian areas also.
I remember a few years back I interviewed with the exec chef at a restaurant
that was part of a triple A four diamond resort and he asked me about "culinary
art". I started talking about culinary craft and he looked at me like I had
started shooting flames from the top of my head or something. I didn't get the
job. I think that ws the begining of the end for me.
I realize that I've rambled here and I apologize for ranting. This something
that been simmering inside me for a while. Thank you allowing me to let it
out.
..
John
PENMART01

>(JAdkins392) bloviated:
>
>I haven't cooked professionaly for a couple of years now but I think I've
>learned alot and improved

You haven't learned shit... "alot" is NOT a word... you're a pontificating
illiterate *******, ie. blowhard.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Nona

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:06:54 +0200, "Michael Rolfe"
> wrote:

> I have in mind a recent Stilton Cheesecake with Peppery Port Compote
>(http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...wit_4790.shtml)
>I recently made. It's scarcely classically simple cheesecake but no-one who
>ate it seemed to think there was any reason why I shouldn't have made it.
>Guess I got it right.

This looks quite good with the exception of rhubarb (it's one of the
few veggies I never acquired a taste for), but it can certainly be
substituted. I really like stilton with port, but never thought about
making it into a sweet dessert. Is caster sugar what is known in US
as regular sugar? With the description of golden not sure it is.
Sounds more like less refined sugar. Thanks for pointing this recipe
out. Will try it.

Nona Myers
JAdkins392

You haven't learned shit... "alot" is NOT a word... you're a pontificating
illiterate *******, ie. blowhard.

YES!!! I leave this newsgroup for a couple of years, come back for a few weeks
and the first time I post Sheldon jumps on me.
I feel like one of the gang now!

John
Rick & Cyndi

: >
:
>(http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ncheesecakewit

_4790.shtml)
: >I recently made. It's scarcely classically simple cheesecake
but no-one who
: >ate it seemed to think there was any reason why I shouldn't
have made it.
: >Guess I got it right.
:
: This looks quite good with the exception of rhubarb (it's one
of the
: few veggies I never acquired a taste for), but it can certainly
be
: substituted. I really like stilton with port, but never
thought about
: making it into a sweet dessert. Is caster sugar what is known
in US
: as regular sugar? With the description of golden not sure it
is.
: Sounds more like less refined sugar. Thanks for pointing this
recipe
: out. Will try it.
:
: Nona Myers
=============

That recipe looks nice. We do something similar but instead of
the compote we do a little drizzle of stuff and pecans... LOL.
This is amazing when paired with a glass of Port!

Cyndi

Liz's Bleu Cheesecake

This is the recipe for what cousin Liz served while we were in
Cincinnati, visiting over Memorial Weekend 2003. The "base" of
this recipe comes from GG (Grandma Gertrude Hackett) and she
simply adds the additional Roquefort to make it Bleu. Her
preference is to add Gorgonzola, instead, but she wasn't able to
procure it from the store (in time).

24 oz Cream Cheese
3 Egg Yolks
5 Egg Whites (whipped & folded)
1 1/2 c Sugar
1 t Vanilla
4 oz Roquefort

Graham Cracker Crust

Caramelized Sugar with toasted Pecans for topping

Cream the cream cheese and the sugar, blend in the egg yolks and
vanilla. Then fold in the egg whites and pour into a springform
pan with the graham cracker crumb crust. Sprinkle on Bleu Cheese
and poke into the cheesecake.

Bake at 350 F. for 1 hour.

Caramelize some sugar, add toasted pecans and sprinkle/ladle over
the cheesecake once it's chilled.

Frogleg

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:32:27 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Loire21" > wrote

>> The older I get the more I realize that as far as food is concerned,
>>simpler is
>> better. Classic dishes are classics because they're already perfect on
>>their own.

>I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments but not your prescription.
>Remember, today's classics were once someone's experiments!

Indeed. Cooks and restaurants can screw up simple things as well as
complicated or innovative ones. Food also swings between extremes
according to fashion. Nouvelle Cuisine was an reaction against rich
French cooking with elaborate sauces, and became a ridiculous exercise
in producing tiny portions of elaborately-arranged ingredients in
unlikely combinations. The eventual result, however, was a greater
appreciation of fresh, seasonal ingredients and simplified
preparation. Recent 'architectural' presentation will doubtless linger
as a way to tidy up the plate a bit and stick some garnish on top ifor
a pleasing appearance. Fusion cuisine, too, is new (and sometimes
extreme) to the ethnic traditions it marries, but is no reason to
prohibit rice-stick noodles from appearing with a non-Asian dish.

The OP mentions 2 desserts as examples of her point of view, but
"traditionally,* desserts are where the most elaboration and
innovation happen. Sometimes for good, and sometimes evil in the
extreme. One might as well say no one has ever improved on chocolate
ice cream and refuse to try New York Super Fudge Chunk. :-)