Cool Whip and Dream whip

Old 03-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Jen
Usenet poster

Default Cool Whip and Dream whip

Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Old 03-08-2005, 02:30 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in the
freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy (whole)
cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to sweeten it and
you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I don't have measurements
for you.

Jill

Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 AM
ravinwulf
Usenet poster

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in the
freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy (whole)
cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to sweeten it and
you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I don't have measurements
for you.

I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
much better.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Andy
Usenet poster

ravinwulf wrote in
:

wrote:

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
(whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
don't have measurements for you.

I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
much better.

Regards,
Tracy R.

But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.

KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,

Andy
Old 03-08-2005, 03:07 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

wrote:

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
(whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
don't have measurements for you.

I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
much better.

Regards,
Tracy R.

I'm sorry I didn't elucidate that it's faux whipped cream with lots of
preservatives and weird stuff added. I don't use the stuff, myself. In
fact I don't use whipped cream for much of anything as I'm not a dessert
person

Jill

Old 03-08-2005, 03:16 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:59:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.

KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,

LOL! You're one of THOSE people? I was an adult before I knew anyone
did that. get your mind out of the gutter I'm talking about
filling your mouth with wipped cream squirted from the can, by passing
pies, strawberries, spoons and all other modes of transportation.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Puester
Usenet poster

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
cream substitute

The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.

gloria p
Old 03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Sandi
Usenet poster

Puester wrote:
Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
cream substitute

The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.

gloria p

Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
cream!

Sandi

Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Sandi wrote:
Puester wrote:
Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
cream substitute

The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.

gloria p

Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet
tried
a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
cream!

Sandi

But wow, homemade butter would be awesome!

Jill

Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

Jen wrote:

Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

There are no substitutes for Cool Whip and Dream Whip. Both are edible oil
products frothed up to a consistency like whipped cream. They are
substitutes.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Jean B.
Usenet poster

Sandi wrote:

Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
cream!

Sandi

I had to be really careful about this in Japan too. (This was
now over two decades ago, so I don't know whether that is
still the case.)

--
Jean B.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Jean B.
Usenet poster

Jen wrote:

Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

I just ran across this recipe yesterday:

Cool Whip

1 teaspoon gelatin
2 teaspoons cold water
3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons oil

Chill a small mixing bowl. Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons
cold water, then add boiling water, stirring until gelatin is
completely dissolved. Cool until tepid. Place ice water and
nonfat dry milk in the chilled bowl. Beat at high speed until
mixture forms stiff peaks. Add sugar, still beating, then oil
and gelatin. Place in freezer about 15 minutes then transfer
to refrigerator until ready for use. Stir before using to
retain creamy texture. Makes 2 cups.
http://www.dailyrecipes.net/recipes-446.html

I would use stabilized whipped cream, though.
--
Jean B.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Jen wrote:

Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

They are fake whipped cream. Use real whipped cream.
That's what I do when I see a recipe that otherwise sounds
good I just use real whipped cream in place of the cool whip.
Although in most cases you would have to refrigerate. With
the fake stuff no refrigeration is required.

Kate
Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

jmcquown wrote:

Jen wrote:
Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream,

It is *not* whipping cream. It is a fake whipped cream
substitute. Although there is a version of Cool-whip that
has some real cream in it.

Kate

Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Andy wrote:

ravinwulf wrote in
:

wrote:

Jen wrote:
[...]

Redi-whip is not the same thing as Cool-whip and Dream-whip.
Redi-whip is real cream in a pressurized can that you can
squirt onto things. The original is made with very low butterfat
cream but there is now a heavier cream version. The OP was
asking about Cool-whip which is a fake whipped cream which
comes ready to use in the freezer section of the supermarket.
Dream-whip is a powdered substance that you reconstitute into
a fake whipped cream.

Kate

KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,

Andy