Jen

Default Cool Whip and Dream whip

Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

jmcquown

Jen wrote:
> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
> available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in the
freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy (whole)
cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to sweeten it and
you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I don't have measurements
for you.

Jill

ravinwulf

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Jen wrote:
>> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
>> available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

>It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in the
>freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy (whole)
>cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to sweeten it and
>you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I don't have measurements
>for you.

I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
much better.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Andy

ravinwulf > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Jen wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
>>> available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

>>It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
>>the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
>>(whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
>>sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
>>don't have measurements for you.

> I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
> like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
> you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
> Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
> much better.
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.

But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.

KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,

Andy
jmcquown

ravinwulf wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Jen wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
>>> available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

>> It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
>> the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
>> (whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
>> sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
>> don't have measurements for you.

> I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
> like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
> you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
> Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
> much better.
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.

I'm sorry I didn't elucidate that it's faux whipped cream with lots of
preservatives and weird stuff added. I don't use the stuff, myself. In
fact I don't use whipped cream for much of anything as I'm not a dessert
person

Jill

sf

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:59:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

> But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
> is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.
>
> KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,

LOL! You're one of THOSE people? I was an adult before I knew anyone
did that. <get your mind out of the gutter> I'm talking about
filling your mouth with wipped cream squirted from the can, by passing
pies, strawberries, spoons and all other modes of transportation.
Puester

Jen wrote:
> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
cream substitute

The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.

gloria p
Sandi

Puester wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> > Australia???? What are some good substitutes??
> >

> Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
> Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
> cream substitute
>
> The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.
>
> gloria p

Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
cream!

Sandi

jmcquown

Sandi wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>> Jen wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
>>> available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??
>>>

>> Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
>> Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
>> cream substitute
>>
>> The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.
>>
>> gloria p

> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet
> tried
> a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> cream!
>
> Sandi

But wow, homemade butter would be awesome!

Jill

Dave Smith

Jen wrote:

> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

There are no substitutes for Cool Whip and Dream Whip. Both are edible oil
products frothed up to a consistency like whipped cream. They are
substitutes.

Jean B.

Sandi wrote:

> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
> a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> cream!
>
> Sandi

I had to be really careful about this in Japan too. (This was
now over two decades ago, so I don't know whether that is
still the case.)

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Jen wrote:

> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

I just ran across this recipe yesterday:

Cool Whip

1 teaspoon gelatin
2 teaspoons cold water
3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons oil

Chill a small mixing bowl. Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons
cold water, then add boiling water, stirring until gelatin is
completely dissolved. Cool until tepid. Place ice water and
nonfat dry milk in the chilled bowl. Beat at high speed until
mixture forms stiff peaks. Add sugar, still beating, then oil
and gelatin. Place in freezer about 15 minutes then transfer
to refrigerator until ready for use. Stir before using to
retain creamy texture. Makes 2 cups.
http://www.dailyrecipes.net/recipes-446.html

I would use stabilized whipped cream, though.
--
Jean B.
Kate Connally

Jen wrote:

> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

They are fake whipped cream. Use real whipped cream.
That's what I do when I see a recipe that otherwise sounds
good I just use real whipped cream in place of the cool whip.
Although in most cases you would have to refrigerate. With
the fake stuff no refrigeration is required.

Kate
Kate Connally

jmcquown wrote:

> Jen wrote:
> > Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they
> > available in Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

> It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream,

It is *not* whipping cream. It is a fake whipped cream
substitute. Although there is a version of Cool-whip that
has some real cream in it.

Kate

> in the U.S. available in the
> freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy (whole)
> cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to sweeten it and
> you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I don't have measurements
> for you.
>
> Jill

Kate Connally

Andy wrote:

> ravinwulf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:

> >>It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
> >>the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
> >>(whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
> >>sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
> >>don't have measurements for you.

> > I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
> > like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
> > you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
> > Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
> > much better.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tracy R.

> But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
> is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.

Redi-whip is not the same thing as Cool-whip and Dream-whip.
Redi-whip is real cream in a pressurized can that you can
squirt onto things. The original is made with very low butterfat
cream but there is now a heavier cream version. The OP was
asking about Cool-whip which is a fake whipped cream which
comes ready to use in the freezer section of the supermarket.
Dream-whip is a powdered substance that you reconstitute into
a fake whipped cream.

Kate

> KSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH,
>
> Andy

Sandi

jmcquown wrote:
> Sandi wrote:
> > Puester wrote:
> >>>

> >> Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
> >> Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
> >> cream substitute
> >>
> >> The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.
> >>
> >> gloria p

> > Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> > that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet
> > tried
> > a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> > from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> > cream!
> >
> > Sandi

> But wow, homemade butter would be awesome!

But not when sugar has been added to the cream. Totally disgusting.
Sometimes we can get Redi Whip in a can. Usually we use a whipped cream
powder substitute imported from Germany, mix it with milk....it's not
bad too bad..but then I only use it when we make hot chocolate.

Sandi

Kate Connally

Sandi wrote:

> Puester wrote:
> > Jen wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> > > Australia???? What are some good substitutes??
> > >

> > Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
> > Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
> > cream substitute
> >
> > The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.
> >
> > gloria p

> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
> a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> cream!
>
> Sandi

I'm curious as to what percentage butterfat is in this
cream you describe. I regularly use heavy cream for whipping
and it has 36% butterfat.

Kate
Default User

Sandi wrote:

> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet
> tried a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip
> cream from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for
> whipping cream!

Can't you thin it with a little milk, bring the butterfat content down?

Brian
~patches~

jmcquown wrote:

> Sandi wrote:
>
>>Puester wrote:

>>>Cool WHip = frozen whipped cream substitute
>>>Dream Whip = a powder to be mixed with milk and beaten as a whipped
>>>cream substitute
>>>
>>>The best substitute for either is real whipped cream.
>>>
>>>gloria p

>>Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
>>that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet
>>tried
>>a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
>>from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
>>cream!
>>
>>Sandi

> But wow, homemade butter would be awesome!
>
> Jill

It's pretty easy to make using heavy whipping cream and a blender. When
the butter forms pour out the liquid buttermilk and reserve for biscuits
or other baking. Pat any remaining buttermilk from the butter. Add
salt, herbs, or cranberries if desired.
serene

~patches~ > wrote:

[homemade butter]

> It's pretty easy to make using heavy whipping cream and a blender.

Or a mixer. Just past really stiff whipped cream comes really good
butter and a bit of liquid, which is fine to drink.

serene

Arri London

Jen wrote:

> Does anyone know what Cool whip and Dream whip are, are they available in
> Australia???? What are some good substitutes??

Cool whip is frozen fake whipped cream and Dream whip is a powder to
make the same thing.
The best substitute is real whipped cream which tastes far better.
Rick & Cyndi

"Sandi" <
>snip<
> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
> a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> cream!
>
> Sandi
>=======

Have you tried adding milk to the cream to 'water' it down so that it
doesn't become butter? <shrug>

Cyndi

Brick

On 2-Aug-2005, Andy <Q> wrote:

> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:30:46 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:

> >>It's pre-prepared sweetened whipping cream, in the U.S. available in
> >>the freezer case for convenient quick thawing and usage. Take heavy
> >>(whole) cream and whip it to a thick consistency with sugar added to
> >>sweeten it and you'll have the same thing only better Sorry I
> >>don't have measurements for you.

> > I'm pretty sure the stuff isn't actually dairy in nature; it's more
> > like faux whipped cream. Dream Whip comes in packets in a dry form;
> > you whip it with 2% milk to make the topping. Cool Whip comes frozen.
> > Real whipped cream will substitute for the stuff though, and taste
> > much better.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tracy R.

> But... but... Reddi-Wip whipped-cream is fat free, has propulsion and
> is, if I might add, terribly fun in a variety of circumstances.

At least one of which includes maraschino cherries. Am I right?

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 3-Aug-2005, "Sandi" > wrote:

> Puester wrote:
> > Jen wrote:

<snip>

> Unless of course the cream that is available has sooooo much butterfat
> that upon whipping it goes immediately to butter! We have not yet tried
> a cream here in Honduras that we can successflully make whip cream
> from. The stuff is great for homemade ice cream but sucks for whipping
> cream!
>
> Sandi

Listen boys and girls. In the U.S. Commercial ice cream mix is 10%
butterfat, regular pasteurized milk is 3.5% to 4.2% butterfat, whipped cream is
37% butterfat. If somebody sells you something else under a commercial
license, they're subject to substantial fines. My reference is from employment
at a dairy plant in the early '50's. I don't think the rules have changed much.
A short search through usda.gov/dairy got me lost in a maze.

Cold whipping cream, (heavy cream) will whip nicely into fluffy whipped cream
that you've grown to love. Heavy cream that has been left at room temperature
for awhile and then churned, will make butter, (and buttermilk).

The apparent taste of milk in America is largely dependent on the source of
the milk. Jersey and Guernsy herds provide the tastiest milk while Holstein
herds provide the largest volumn, albeit least palatable milk. The dairy that
employed me concentrated on Jersey and Guernsy farmers and as a con-
sequence, along with some very astute business practices virtually cornered
the market in and around South Bend Indiana. That was the Hillview Dairy
located at the corner of Ireland Road and Ironwood Drive.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 3-Aug-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> Sandi wrote:
> > Puester wrote:
> >> Jen wrote:

<snip all that previous>

> But wow, homemade butter would be awesome!
>
> Jill

Homemade butter is awesome Jill. Years ago, one could get butter locally
from particular dairy herds that was measurably different (better) then any-
thing else around. Nowadays, that would be hard to come by.

Dairy farmers are paid by a relationship between weight and butterfat content.
They individually decide whether they will strive for volumn or high butterfat.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

cool whip sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 18-01-2015 10:52 PM
cool whip Jen General Cooking 28 17-01-2015 06:18 PM
Cool Whip Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 20 23-12-2007 07:49 PM
dream whip Jen General Cooking 1 07-08-2005 04:58 AM
Cool Whip Dee Randall Baking 39 19-01-2004 02:00 AM