Personal Chef Service vs. The Health Dept

Old 02-08-2005, 04:17 PM
WanderingChef
Usenet poster

Default Personal Chef Service vs. The Health Dept

I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Gorboner of Torros
Usenet poster

"WanderingChef" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Sell them the food at a mark up and cook it for free.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:42 PM
nancy1
Usenet poster

WanderingChef wrote:
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Without knowing where Travis County is, do you think it's possible
someone is misinterpreting the code? This sounds just too ludicrous to
be true.

N.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"WanderingChef" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Double check as a temporary domestic worker (employee).

Dimitri

Old 02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

"WanderingChef" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

That sounds ridiculous. I'd call again, ask to speak to a supervisor, and
demand an explantion/reinterpretation. Are caterers illegal? What happens if
you hire someone to care for a sick person, and the job includes cooking?

Old 02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Leila
Usenet poster

it was against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee.

Where is Travis County, and why are they against domestic help?

Leila
Doesn't have a personal chef, but thinks if you can afford one, you
ought to be able to hire a cook

Old 02-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

nancy1 wrote:

WanderingChef wrote:
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Without knowing where Travis County is, do you think it's possible
someone is misinterpreting the code? This sounds just too ludicrous to
be true.

That would make it difficult for nannies, au pair girls and baby-sitters who
have to feed the children they are paid to care for. I understand that
there are regulations about the commercial preparation of food because the
local health department would want to have such operations under their
umbrella so that they can inspect the premises, but having someone cook for
you in your own home would be no different than doing it yourself.
Considering that people too busy to cook would be too busy to clean, your
kitchen would be likely be cleaner.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
WanderingChef
Usenet poster

Travis Count is in Central Texas, Austin area.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
WanderingChef
Usenet poster

I was at the office to sign up for the safety in food handling class
and asked the clerk if there was any other licenses I needed to start a
Personal Chef service. She handed me the form to license a commercial
kitchen, I forget what it was called. I told her I would be cooking in
clients homes, she wasn't sure and that's when she got her supervisor.
He had few answers when I asked why it was against health code. I also
asked what about the people who are already providing this service. He
said if they were caught they would be fined. It really made no sense
to me, hence the question. Any personal chefs out there who have delt
with this?

Old 02-08-2005, 07:33 PM
sarah bennett
Usenet poster

WanderingChef wrote:
Travis Count is in Central Texas, Austin area.

Maybe you should contact these folks:

http://www.daniellagana.com/
http://www.personalchef.com/angelfood.htm

Both are located in the Austin area. Methinks that there are
insurance/licensing issues involved, and that it is not illegal, per se,
to cook in a customer's home for a fee. One just needs to be a
professional about it.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

WanderingChef wrote:

I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

I know of *no* places in the U.S. where this applies. Where's Travis
County - what state are you in? Whose regulations are they saying
prevent this - state or local? To whom did you speak - was this a person
who answers phones all day long or was it a sanitarian or supervisor?

In all the discussions I've seen on the professional lists I hang out on
about personal chefs, not one has ever mentioned this restriction. The
regulation would serve to eliminate household staff or medical people,
part of whose function would include prescribed food preparations.

I don't believe this is the case. You were almost certainly given
erroneous information. I'd ask a bit higher up the chain and if that
person says the same thing, ask to see the regulation in question.

Pastorio
Old 02-08-2005, 07:49 PM
sf
Usenet poster

On 2 Aug 2005 09:42:53 -0700, nancy1 wrote:

WanderingChef wrote:
I was told yesterday by the Travis County Health Dept. that it was
against health code to cook in another persons home for a fee. How do
you get around this? Any Personal Chefs out there care to comment?
Thanks

Without knowing where Travis County is, do you think it's possible
someone is misinterpreting the code? This sounds just too ludicrous to
be true.

N.

Travis County is in Texas... if it was true, there are a lot of people
in Austin who wouldn't have cooks.

I think the OP would get more and better information by typing
"personal chef austin texas" into Google's search box and contacting
one of the hits or by contacting the American Personal Chef
Association http://www.personalchef.com/
Old 02-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Dean G.
Usenet poster

Get a copy of the law. Is is a local (county) law ? If so, it only
allies inside that jurisdiction. Also, local laws are fairly easy to
get changed. You don't need a lobbyist to talk to the county councilman
down the street. Make an issue of it at meetings and make sure you
stress the jobs angle. This law costs our county jobs. Perhaps
so-and-so will agree to an amendment that allows personal chefs to do
this if they have a food safety certification. If not, you can always
run for his office next election, loudly stressing that so-and-so is
anti-job. Frequently, odd laws like this are passed to protect
someone's investment. In that case, you may be up against big money. If
that is the case, you may still be able to work out an amendment to the
law that allows you to work, but doesn't affect the monied interests
(not that I really care about them, just trying to be practical.)

If it is a state law, then there is very likely a lot more info.
Perhaps you can talk to a lawyer who could pull up all the relevant
case law on Lexis-Nexis or Westlaw. Then you can see what the court
says. If the appeals court says it is ok to charge for the food, but
not the cooking you may be able to get around the law by being carful
how you bill your clients. Otherwise, perhaps your client will agree to
lease their kitchen to you. That sounds odd, but with a good contract,
no one needs to worry about it too much.

Dean G.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

"Dean G." wrote:

Get a copy of the law. Is is a local (county) law ? If so, it only
allies inside that jurisdiction. Also, local laws are fairly easy to
get changed. You don't need a lobbyist to talk to the county councilman
down the street. Make an issue of it at meetings and make sure you
stress the jobs angle. This law costs our county jobs.

It's pretty hard to argue jobs when there is a public health issue. Around
here, you are subject to the regulations of the health department when you
are cooking commercially. They inspect the premises and they want to be
able to trace food to its source if there is an outbreak of food
poisoning. I can appreciate the rationale in that case, but the OP is
talking about cooking in someone's kitchen, so I can't see why those
concerns would apply here. It would be no different than them cooking for
themselves in their own kitchen, so long as all the food is being prepared
on site and not in the personal chef's kitchen.

There has been talk around here about clamping down on all food sales. That
will apply to home made jams and jellies made for bake sales and at local
fruit stands. That's a crying shame. Until my recent success with
strawberry jam I had had so many batches turn out poorly that I stopped
making it myself and used to get it at a neighbour's fruit stand. They
won't be able to sell the stuff any more.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
"Dean G." wrote:

[...]

How many bad jars did the local militia find in the area last year? One?
:-)