Andy

Default Atkins files Chapter 11

http://tinyurl.com/arycg
Jumping Jack Flash

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> http://tinyurl.com/arycg

Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting bacon
and eggs couldn't last long term.

Debbie

Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
>> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> http://tinyurl.com/arycg

>> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while
>> promoting bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business in 2003..
it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name. With every company
under the sun coming out with low carb products it couldn't compete. It is
looking to restructure with more specialty products.. not just low carb.

Debbie

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:23:26 -0400, "Debbie" > wrote:

>Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
>>> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
>>> .. .
>>>
>>> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while
>>> promoting bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

>It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business in 2003..
>it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name. With every company
>under the sun coming out with low carb products it couldn't compete. It is
>looking to restructure with more specialty products.. not just low carb.
>
>Debbie

For me, it was the PRICE of the Atkins products.

Label an item "lo-carb", and charge some insane price for it.
I'm surprised they sold anything !

ATKINS shoulda stuck to selling his books. ( ...greed )

<rj>
Michel Boucher

"Debbie" > wrote in
news
> Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
>>> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
>>> .. .
>>>
>>> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while
>>> promoting bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

> It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business
> in 2003.. it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name.
> With every company under the sun coming out with low carb products
> it couldn't compete. It is looking to restructure with more
> specialty products.. not just low carb.

Including some with more carbs? :-)

--
"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

Debbie

Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "Debbie" > wrote in
>> news >>

>>> It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business
>>> in 2003.. it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name.
>>> With every company under the sun coming out with low carb products
>>> it couldn't compete. It is looking to restructure with more
>>> specialty products.. not just low carb.

>> Including some with more carbs? :-)

Probably, they were talking about reduced sodium, reduced glucose etc.

Debbie

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"Jumping Jack Flash" > wrote:

> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> .. .
> > http://tinyurl.com/arycg

> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting bacon
> and eggs couldn't last long term.

My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
she lost?) She bought some of the various products at the local dollar
store (hmmm). Most of them were just plain unpalatable. About the only
thing she could stomach was the meal replacement bars. According to one
article, once Atkins Nutritionals reorganizes it will concentrate on the
shakes and bars.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Jumping Jack Flash

>> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting
>> bacon
>> and eggs couldn't last long term.

> My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
> wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
> she lost?)

Atkins, South Beach...they all come and go. People who lose weight, and keep
it off (I recently saw a stat that only 3% of those who lose significant
amounts of weight keep it off.) do it by changing their lifestyle. The
equation is so simple. Eat less, move more.

*JimH*

"Jumping Jack Flash" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> http://tinyurl.com/arycg

> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting
> bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

Couldn't last long? It has been around since the 1960's. ;-)

Leila

Jumping Jack Flash wrote:

>Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting bacon
>and eggs couldn't last long term.

Atkins promotes the evils of fruit?

My husband has been doing Atkins for 2 years. He bought the book, I
read it. Atkins is big on fruit - he just has ideas about which fruit
is ok. He likes berries. My hubby eats at least two servings of fruit
per day (and 4 or 5 servings of vegetables, just no potatoes).

I think if you actually read what Atkins says you should eat for
"lifetime maintenance", you would find your ideas about the diet are
mistaken.

We've also never bought any of that low carb packaged crap. OK, once I
bought the low carb pasta, but never again. Hubby occasionally eats
whole grains like brown rice, bulgur wheat (in tabbouli) and also I
convince him to eat beans. IIRC a 1/4 cup serving of each of these is
ten carbs, very Atkins approved, and all are on the lifetime
maintenance menu.

I personally can't do the no-bread-no-potatoes-no-pasta diet long term,
but I've certainly benefited from eating less of it. And hubbie is
thinner and in better shape than I've ever known him - he lost 40
pounds, has kept it off, and now that he's started going to the gym, I
feel like I got a new boyfriend with my dearest hubbie inside.

For what it's worth, my oncologist wants me to do low carb, and my
acupuncturist, who is a traditional chinese medicine doctor and sits on
the national licensing board for acupuncturists - this guy says meat
and vegetables are a very good diet. He thinks there's no problem with
Atkins. Of course if you ate only bacon double cheeseburgers that would
be a problem. But why it's so terrible to eat meat, fish, chicken or
tofu plus large helpings of veg and salad, I fail to understand.

Get some information, people. Even our esteemed nutritionist, Cindy -
have you looked at Atkins lifetime maintenance? I can't believe it's so
terrible of a diet.

However -re the corporation going bust - I say good riddance. I despise
those low-carb products. Yech.

In the end, moderation will always win out. Probably eating less white
flour and sugar is good for anybody.

Leila

TammyM

wrote:

> >It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business in

2003..
> >it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name. With every

company
> >under the sun coming out with low carb products it couldn't compete. It

is
> >looking to restructure with more specialty products.. not just low carb.
> >
> >Debbie
> >

> For me, it was the PRICE of the Atkins products.
>
> Label an item "lo-carb", and charge some insane price for it.
> I'm surprised they sold anything !
>
> ATKINS shoulda stuck to selling his books. ( ...greed )
>
> <rj>

ATKINS can't be greedy or sell anything, he's dead.

TammyM

Dee Randall

"Leila" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
>
>>Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while promoting
>>bacon
>>and eggs couldn't last long term.

> Atkins promotes the evils of fruit?
>
> My husband has been doing Atkins for 2 years. He bought the book, I
> read it. Atkins is big on fruit - he just has ideas about which fruit
> is ok. He likes berries. My hubby eats at least two servings of fruit
> per day (and 4 or 5 servings of vegetables, just no potatoes).
>
> I think if you actually read what Atkins says you should eat for
> "lifetime maintenance", you would find your ideas about the diet are
> mistaken.
>
> We've also never bought any of that low carb packaged crap. OK, once I
> bought the low carb pasta, but never again. Hubby occasionally eats
> whole grains like brown rice, bulgur wheat (in tabbouli) and also I
> convince him to eat beans. IIRC a 1/4 cup serving of each of these is
> ten carbs, very Atkins approved, and all are on the lifetime
> maintenance menu.
>
> I personally can't do the no-bread-no-potatoes-no-pasta diet long term,
> but I've certainly benefited from eating less of it. And hubbie is
> thinner and in better shape than I've ever known him - he lost 40
> pounds, has kept it off, and now that he's started going to the gym, I
> feel like I got a new boyfriend with my dearest hubbie inside.
>
> For what it's worth, my oncologist wants me to do low carb, and my
> acupuncturist, who is a traditional chinese medicine doctor and sits on
> the national licensing board for acupuncturists - this guy says meat
> and vegetables are a very good diet. He thinks there's no problem with
> Atkins. Of course if you ate only bacon double cheeseburgers that would
> be a problem. But why it's so terrible to eat meat, fish, chicken or
> tofu plus large helpings of veg and salad, I fail to understand.
>
> Get some information, people. Even our esteemed nutritionist, Cindy -
> have you looked at Atkins lifetime maintenance? I can't believe it's so
> terrible of a diet.
>
> However -re the corporation going bust - I say good riddance. I despise
> those low-carb products. Yech.
>
> In the end, moderation will always win out. Probably eating less white
> flour and sugar is good for anybody.
>
> Leila

I'm will try to use up my Dreamworks (?) low carb pasta. Today I'm making a
combination type minestrone/pasta e fagiole and will use as many as I can
put in of the low-carb macaroni; still have one lb. of penne, then no more
low-carb purchases for me -- although I must say it doesn't taste too bad.
My DH bought them, I wonder why, since he is not too concerned about
low-carbs; perhaps he was giving me a hint?
Dee Dee

Debbie

Leila wrote:
>> Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
>>
>>> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while
>>> promoting bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

>> However -re the corporation going bust - I say good riddance. I
>> despise those low-carb products. Yech.

It was a private corporation that went bust. Atkins sold it in 2003 to a
private enterprise. He knew that sort of thing was a fad and got out of it
while it was still making money. :-) Anything to do with the diet/books etc
would belong to his family still unless they have sold them off as well.

Debbie

Damsel

"Debbie" > said:

> Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
> >> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> >> .. .
> >>
> >> Shocking that a diet that preached the evils of fruit, while
> >> promoting bacon and eggs couldn't last long term.

> It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business in 2003..
> it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name. With every company
> under the sun coming out with low carb products it couldn't compete. It is
> looking to restructure with more specialty products.. not just low carb.

It didn't help that they kept "improving" their products until they were no
longer edible, by anyone's standards.

Carol, who used to have an Atkins shake every morning
*JimH*

"Damsel" > wrote in message

>> It isn't the diet that went bankrupt. Atkins sold this business in
>> 2003..
>> it was selling low carb products under the Atkins name. With every
>> company
>> under the sun coming out with low carb products it couldn't compete. It
>> is
>> looking to restructure with more specialty products.. not just low carb.

> It didn't help that they kept "improving" their products until they were
> no
> longer edible, by anyone's standards.
>
> Carol, who used to have an Atkins shake every morning

An Atkins shake? What caused it? Is the Atkins shake similar to the
shake/shudder you get when you get the sudden chills? ;-)

Damsel

Cindy Fuller > said:

> My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
> wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
> she lost?)

That's true of any diet that you don't stick to in a maintenance form. I
lost 40 pounds on Atkins two years ago, but gained it all back. The weight
gain had more to do with microwave popcorn, M&Ms, and cherry Twizzlers than
the fact that I had lost it on Atkins. A dietician-prescribed diet won't
last forever, either, if the patient doesn't stick with it.

Carol, who's getting serious about weight control again (not with Atkins)
Damsel

"Dee Randall" > said:

> I'm will try to use up my Dreamworks (?) low carb pasta. Today I'm making a
> combination type minestrone/pasta e fagiole and will use as many as I can
> put in of the low-carb macaroni; still have one lb. of penne, then no more
> low-carb purchases for me -- although I must say it doesn't taste too bad.
> My DH bought them, I wonder why, since he is not too concerned about
> low-carbs; perhaps he was giving me a hint?

Dreamfields. To me, it tastes just like regular pasta. Unfortunately,
it's twice the price of the regular stuff, and it's becoming harder and
harder to find it in stores. Two years ago, all three of our stores
carried it. Now only one does.

I've tested it with my blood glucose meter. It doesn't cause the same
spikes as regular pasta.

Carol
Andy

Damsel > wrote in
:

> Cindy Fuller > said:
>
>> My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
>> wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
>> she lost?)

> That's true of any diet that you don't stick to in a maintenance form.
> I lost 40 pounds on Atkins two years ago, but gained it all back.
> The weight gain had more to do with microwave popcorn, M&Ms, and
> cherry Twizzlers than the fact that I had lost it on Atkins. A
> dietician-prescribed diet won't last forever, either, if the patient
> doesn't stick with it.
>
> Carol, who's getting serious about weight control again (not with
> Atkins)

I did Atkins for a year and lost 30 pounds, it was something about being
too anal about the whole regimen that made it hard to stick to it.

It actually all fell apart when I started revisiting this newsgroup!

There. I SAID IT!

Groups like rfc make diet failing so much less MY fault!!!

Andy
Damsel

"*JimH*" > said:

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
> >
> > Carol, who used to have an Atkins shake every morning

> An Atkins shake? What caused it? Is the Atkins shake similar to the
> shake/shudder you get when you get the sudden chills? ;-)

It's caused by carb withdrawal, and usually subsides after about a week.
Smart-ass! LOL!

Carol

Damsel

Andy <Q> said:

> I did Atkins for a year and lost 30 pounds, it was something about being
> too anal about the whole regimen that made it hard to stick to it.

Exactly. I'm OCD to start out with. I went into conniptions every time I
ate 10 extra carbs.

> It actually all fell apart when I started revisiting this newsgroup!

Have you kept any/all of the weight off?

> There. I SAID IT!
>
> Groups like rfc make diet failing so much less MY fault!!!

ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.

Carol
*JimH*

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> "*JimH*" > said:
>
>> "Damsel" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Carol, who used to have an Atkins shake every morning

>> An Atkins shake? What caused it? Is the Atkins shake similar to the
>> shake/shudder you get when you get the sudden chills? ;-)

> It's caused by carb withdrawal, and usually subsides after about a week.
> Smart-ass! LOL!
>
> Carol

:-)

Andy

Damsel > wrote in
:

> Andy <Q> said:
>
>> I did Atkins for a year and lost 30 pounds, it was something about
>> being too anal about the whole regimen that made it hard to stick to
>> it.

> Exactly. I'm OCD to start out with. I went into conniptions every
> time I ate 10 extra carbs.
>
>> It actually all fell apart when I started revisiting this newsgroup!

> Have you kept any/all of the weight off?

No, I bought a kitchen-aid stand mixer at the thought of making my own
pasta and with pasta comes poundage. I'm back to 225-230.

>> There. I SAID IT!
>>
>> Groups like rfc make diet failing so much less MY fault!!!

> ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
> inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.

I didn't know about that newsgroup (?) at that time.

That's, like I said, the problem with "groups", imho. Everybody can fall
into a trap of blaming the group instead of themselves.

After 30 years, I quit smoking last year, Wednesday, September 1, 2004,
10am, cold turkey. I didn't join any group, didn't discuss it with
anybody and that's over and done. I can't wait to celebrate my first
anniversary.

I think we all have power at our disposal. Sometimes just keeping it
private makes it simple. Maybe, imho?!

I don't know, Carol. Sorry for going so deep.

Andy
Vilco

Mi e' parso che Dee Randall abbia scritto:

> I'm will try to use up my Dreamworks (?) low carb pasta. Today
> I'm making a combination type minestrone/pasta e
> fagiole and will use as many as I can put in of the
> low-carb macaroni; still have one lb. of penne, then no
> more low-carb purchases for me -- although I must say it
> doesn't taste too bad

I love "pasta e fagioli"! Heve you ever tried to use bacon-rind
instead of pasta, to make "fagioli e cotiche"?
I'm not sure of the translations of "bacon rind", here cotiche
are a part of the pig's skin, from the belly area, and looks like
this (aim at the link rolls in the middle of ohter ingredients):
http://www.casaflorio.it/SUGO%20CON%...%20FAGIOLI.htm
The one in that page is a different recipe, "fagioli e cotiche"
don't use pasta.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Vilco abbia scritto:

> link rolls

it should have been "Pink rolls", sorry
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Jean B.

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
> wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
> she lost?) She bought some of the various products at the local dollar
> store (hmmm). Most of them were just plain unpalatable. About the only
> thing she could stomach was the meal replacement bars. According to one
> article, once Atkins Nutritionals reorganizes it will concentrate on the
> shakes and bars.
>
> Cindy

Here's my take:

First, you will gain weight if you go off ANY diet. It is not
the fault of the diet.

Second, the woes of Atkins pharmaceuticals is in large part
due to the proliferation of specious products in recent years.
These products led many folks to eat more and to segue back
into ?real?/?other>? carby foods.

I think the premise is still sound, especially of folks stop
thinking of Atkins/low-carb as what is allowed on induction
only. What on earth is wrong with giving up the relatively
useless carbs and getting one's (reduced) carbs from veggies,
fruits, legumes, and even whole grains?

I will probably post this on the LC group too....

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Damsel wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > said:
>

>>My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
>>wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
>>she lost?)

> That's true of any diet that you don't stick to in a maintenance form. I
> lost 40 pounds on Atkins two years ago, but gained it all back. The weight
> gain had more to do with microwave popcorn, M&Ms, and cherry Twizzlers than
> the fact that I had lost it on Atkins. A dietician-prescribed diet won't
> last forever, either, if the patient doesn't stick with it.
>
> Carol, who's getting serious about weight control again (not with Atkins)

Absolutely, Carol!!!!! Why do folks blame the diet? (I am
about ready to do the deed too.)

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Damsel wrote:

> "Dee Randall" > said:
>

>>I'm will try to use up my Dreamworks (?) low carb pasta. Today I'm making a
>>combination type minestrone/pasta e fagiole and will use as many as I can
>>put in of the low-carb macaroni; still have one lb. of penne, then no more
>>low-carb purchases for me -- although I must say it doesn't taste too bad.
>>My DH bought them, I wonder why, since he is not too concerned about
>>low-carbs; perhaps he was giving me a hint?

> Dreamfields. To me, it tastes just like regular pasta. Unfortunately,
> it's twice the price of the regular stuff, and it's becoming harder and
> harder to find it in stores. Two years ago, all three of our stores
> carried it. Now only one does.
>
> I've tested it with my blood glucose meter. It doesn't cause the same
> spikes as regular pasta.
>
> Carol

Good products, IMHO: Dreamfields (assuming it doesn't cause
the spikes, and I gather that varies from person to person and
by cooking method; also assuming it doesn't cause one to slide
into eating other carbs).

Hood Carb Countdown Milk (and now Hershey's has a sugar-free
chocolate milk).

Low-carb catsup/ketchup.

I had better stick to the last two. :-)

--
Jean B.
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > said:
>
> > My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
> > wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
> > she lost?)

> That's true of any diet that you don't stick to in a maintenance form. I
> lost 40 pounds on Atkins two years ago, but gained it all back. The weight
> gain had more to do with microwave popcorn, M&Ms, and cherry Twizzlers than
> the fact that I had lost it on Atkins. A dietician-prescribed diet won't
> last forever, either, if the patient doesn't stick with it.
>
> Carol, who's getting serious about weight control again (not with Atkins)

A group of scientists, including Dr. James Hill in Denver, has compiled
a registry of people who have lost large amounts of weight (without
surgery) and managed to keep it off for at least 5 years. Some common
characteristics of the people in this registry:

Slow, steady weight loss. No cabbage soup diet here.
Exercise.
A permanent lifestyle change. Again, no 5-day weight loss miracle.
(Implicit in all of the above) Hard work and discipline.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
TammyM

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> Andy <Q> said:
>
> > I did Atkins for a year and lost 30 pounds, it was something about being
> > too anal about the whole regimen that made it hard to stick to it.

> Exactly. I'm OCD to start out with. I went into conniptions every time I
> ate 10 extra carbs.
>
> > It actually all fell apart when I started revisiting this newsgroup!

> Have you kept any/all of the weight off?
>
> > There. I SAID IT!
> >
> > Groups like rfc make diet failing so much less MY fault!!!

> ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
> inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.
>
> Carol

Dams, TELL ME you're being sarcastic, PLEASE! That guy is such a major
asshole, he makes Sheldon look sweet ;-)

TammyM

TammyM

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> Damsel > wrote in
> :
>
> > Andy <Q> said:
> >
> >> I did Atkins for a year and lost 30 pounds, it was something about
> >> being too anal about the whole regimen that made it hard to stick to
> >> it.

> > Exactly. I'm OCD to start out with. I went into conniptions every
> > time I ate 10 extra carbs.
> >
> >> It actually all fell apart when I started revisiting this newsgroup!

> > Have you kept any/all of the weight off?

> No, I bought a kitchen-aid stand mixer at the thought of making my own
> pasta and with pasta comes poundage. I'm back to 225-230.
>

> >> There. I SAID IT!
> >>
> >> Groups like rfc make diet failing so much less MY fault!!!

> > ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
> > inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.

> I didn't know about that newsgroup (?) at that time.
>
> That's, like I said, the problem with "groups", imho. Everybody can fall
> into a trap of blaming the group instead of themselves.
>
> After 30 years, I quit smoking last year, Wednesday, September 1, 2004,
> 10am, cold turkey. I didn't join any group, didn't discuss it with
> anybody and that's over and done. I can't wait to celebrate my first
> anniversary.

My 6th anniversary of smoking cessation is on Sept 2 -- we can almost
celebrate together!
<snip>

TammyM

Dee Randall

"TammyM" > wrote in message

> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> Damsel > wrote in
>> :

>> > Exactly. I'm OCD to start out with. I went into conniptions every
>> > time I ate 10 extra carbs.

>> > Have you kept any/all of the weight off?

>> No, I bought a kitchen-aid stand mixer at the thought of making my own
>> pasta and with pasta comes poundage. I'm back to 225-230.

>> > ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
>> > inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.

>> I didn't know about that newsgroup (?) at that time.
>>
>> That's, like I said, the problem with "groups", imho. Everybody can fall
>> into a trap of blaming the group instead of themselves.
>>
>> After 30 years, I quit smoking last year, Wednesday, September 1, 2004,
>> 10am, cold turkey. I didn't join any group, didn't discuss it with
>> anybody and that's over and done. I can't wait to celebrate my first
>> anniversary.

> My 6th anniversary of smoking cessation is on Sept 2 -- we can almost
> celebrate together!
> <snip>
>
> TammyM

Congratulations. I quit smoking January 1, 1988 after 38 years of smoking.
(with a few stoppages along the way - very few!). I quit cold turkey also
after visiting friends that day, none of them smoked. I felt so guilty
wanting a smoke, that that was it.
Dee Dee

Damsel

"TammyM" > said:

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
> >
> > ROFL! Did you participate in the low-carb group? That JC is such an
> > inspiration to us all. It was hard to tear myself away from that guy.

> Dams, TELL ME you're being sarcastic, PLEASE! That guy is such a major
> asshole, he makes Sheldon look sweet ;-)

Next to JC, Sheldon is Mr. Rogers. LOL!

Carol
Debbie

TammyM wrote:
>> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> Damsel > wrote in
>>> :

>>> No, I bought a kitchen-aid stand mixer at the thought of making my
>>> own pasta and with pasta comes poundage. I'm back to 225-230.

>>> I didn't know about that newsgroup (?) at that time.
>>>
>>> That's, like I said, the problem with "groups", imho. Everybody can
>>> fall into a trap of blaming the group instead of themselves.
>>>
>>> After 30 years, I quit smoking last year, Wednesday, September 1,
>>> 2004, 10am, cold turkey. I didn't join any group, didn't discuss it
>>> with anybody and that's over and done. I can't wait to celebrate my
>>> first anniversary.

>> My 6th anniversary of smoking cessation is on Sept 2 -- we can almost
>> celebrate together!
>> <snip>

Congratulations! I quit jan 27, 2003 after smoking for 36 years. didn't do
it cold turkey though. Started to reduce in Sept. 2002 and finally after
only smoking maybe 2 per day for a few weeks, it dawned on my that I
wouldn't be having nicotine withdrawal if I stopped. So I did. :-)

Debbie
Two years, six months, six days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 54 seconds. 26645
cigarettes not smoked, saving $8,995.20. Life saved: 13 weeks, 1 day, 12
hours, 25 minutes.

serene

Jean B. > wrote:

> Damsel wrote:
>
> > Cindy Fuller > said:
> >

> >>My sister was on Atkins in the late 90's and is on it again. (Gee, I
> >>wonder why she had to repeat--could it be she she regained the weight
> >>she lost?)

> > That's true of any diet that you don't stick to in a maintenance form. I
> > lost 40 pounds on Atkins two years ago, but gained it all back. The weight
> > gain had more to do with microwave popcorn, M&Ms, and cherry Twizzlers than
> > the fact that I had lost it on Atkins. A dietician-prescribed diet won't
> > last forever, either, if the patient doesn't stick with it.
> >
> > Carol, who's getting serious about weight control again (not with Atkins)

> Absolutely, Carol!!!!! Why do folks blame the diet?

Maybe because if 95% (a conservative estimate) of all diets fail, diets
don't work?

serene

Andy

"Debbie" > wrote in
:

> Debbie
> Two years, six months, six days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 54 seconds.
> 26645 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8,995.20. Life saved: 13 weeks, 1
> day, 12 hours, 25 minutes.

Debbie,

When you put it in those terms... WOW!

I stopped as a cost cutting measure. Eight dollars a day? No thanks.

I can smell cigarette smoke in the air and it really stinks! I never
knew!

All the best,

Andy
Dee Randall

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> "Debbie" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Debbie
>> Two years, six months, six days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 54 seconds.
>> 26645 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8,995.20. Life saved: 13 weeks, 1
>> day, 12 hours, 25 minutes.

> Debbie,
>
> When you put it in those terms... WOW!
>
> I stopped as a cost cutting measure. Eight dollars a day? No thanks.
>
> I can smell cigarette smoke in the air and it really stinks! I never
> knew!
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

A few weeks ago we were at Foxwoods and a fellow ahead of me was paying for
a 'short' pack of cigarettes (I guess you would call them regulars) and the
pack was $7.58. I looked to see if he had any other purchase -- none.
Dee

Debbie

Andy wrote:
>> "Debbie" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Debbie
>>> Two years, six months, six days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 54
>>> seconds. 26645 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8,995.20. Life saved:
>>> 13 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 25 minutes.

>> Debbie,
>>
>> When you put it in those terms... WOW!

Go to www.silkquit.net and you can do the same.

Debbie

maxine in ri

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:39:01 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> connected the dots and wrote:

~
~"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
. ..
~> "Debbie" > wrote in
~> :
~>
[...]
Criminy! They're a soveirgn nation. THey're supposed to be
undercutting the local CT govt.

maxine in ri, food tastes better when you quit smoking.