Jonski

Default Espresso coffee substitute?

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
methods?

Thanks in advance
Jon
Reg

Jonski wrote:

> I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
> espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
> and a Bodum plunge pot.
>
> Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
> methods?

The rich creaminess of espresso is lost in a chocolate mousse anyway. What
you want is concentrated coffee flavor. I keep strong instant coffee around
just for mocha mousses. I like Medallia D'Oro. Add enough to a 1/4 C of
hot water to make it very strong.

Scott

In article >,
Jonski > wrote:

> I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
> espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
> and a Bodum plunge pot.
>
> Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
> methods?

You won't really notice the creaminess of espresso in a mousse; the
creaminess is from an emulsion of coffee oils, and the mousse should
have plenty of fat to substitute. Make some good quality coffee in that
Bodum. Use a coffee with good body, like a Sumatran or a
Nicaraguan--freshly roasted, of course.

And toss the percolator while you're at it.

please mail OT responses only
ant

"Jonski" > wrote in message
news
> I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
> espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
> and a Bodum plunge pot.

Make a strong brew in the plunger. I prefer coffee from plungers anyway,
although here in Australia espresso is meant to be "real" coffee.

Don't use instant "coffee" for anything, ever.

ant

ant

"Scott" > wrote in message

> Make some good quality coffee in that
> Bodum. Use a coffee with good body, like a Sumatran or a
> Nicaraguan--freshly roasted, of course.

I found whatever is sold in the tin as Medaglia D'Oro in the US to be
drinkable in a plunger. Lavazza is always good.

> And toss the percolator while you're at it.

absolutely.

ant

MrAoD

Jonski writes:

>I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
>espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
>and a Bodum plunge pot.
>
>Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
>methods?

Coffee essence. If you've access to drip coffee maker, add half again the
amount of coffee grind you'd normally use and then take the first cup out of
the carafe.

Works for me in the morning.

Best,

Marc