Espresso coffee substitute?

Old 23-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Jonski
Usenet poster

Default Espresso coffee substitute?

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
methods?

Thanks in advance
Jon
Old 23-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Reg
Usenet poster

Jonski wrote:

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
methods?

The rich creaminess of espresso is lost in a chocolate mousse anyway. What
you want is concentrated coffee flavor. I keep strong instant coffee around
just for mocha mousses. I like Medallia D'Oro. Add enough to a 1/4 C of
hot water to make it very strong.

Old 24-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Scott
Usenet poster

In article ,
Jonski wrote:

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
methods?

You won't really notice the creaminess of espresso in a mousse; the
creaminess is from an emulsion of coffee oils, and the mousse should
have plenty of fat to substitute. Make some good quality coffee in that
Bodum. Use a coffee with good body, like a Sumatran or a
Nicaraguan--freshly roasted, of course.

And toss the percolator while you're at it.

please mail OT responses only
Old 25-05-2004, 06:01 AM
ant
Usenet poster

"Jonski" wrote in message
news
I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Make a strong brew in the plunger. I prefer coffee from plungers anyway,
although here in Australia espresso is meant to be "real" coffee.

Don't use instant "coffee" for anything, ever.

ant

Old 25-05-2004, 06:02 AM
ant
Usenet poster

"Scott" wrote in message

Make some good quality coffee in that
Bodum. Use a coffee with good body, like a Sumatran or a
Nicaraguan--freshly roasted, of course.

I found whatever is sold in the tin as Medaglia D'Oro in the US to be
drinkable in a plunger. Lavazza is always good.

And toss the percolator while you're at it.

absolutely.

ant

Old 25-05-2004, 02:47 PM
MrAoD
Usenet poster

Jonski writes:

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that calls for 1/4 cup of hot
espresso. I don't have an espresso machine, but do have a percolator
and a Bodum plunge pot.

Any suggestions to get that rich creaminess of espresso by other
methods?

Coffee essence. If you've access to drip coffee maker, add half again the
amount of coffee grind you'd normally use and then take the first cup out of
the carafe.

Works for me in the morning.

Best,

Marc

Chocolate and Coffee Mark Thorson Chocolate 4 26-04-2004 11:23 PM
Espresso Honey Brulee Fred Baking 0 13-03-2004 02:39 AM
Cold Brewed Coffee leah1314 General Cooking 20 09-03-2004 09:48 PM
Cold Brewed Coffee Kate ...... General Cooking 0 09-03-2004 01:30 PM
coffee beans DJS0302 General Cooking 16 16-12-2003 06:21 PM