Damsel

Default REC - Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili

I used my black bean chili recipe as a jumping off point for what I made
today. Black Bean Slop.

I had some shredded beef in the freezer, leftover from a chuck roast vs.
crockpot competition that was decided in favor of the crock pot. Used
that, along with a pound of hamburger, for the meat section. WAY too much
meat!

Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat chunks of
tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5 ounces of golden Roma
diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol' immersion blender. Also added
a small can of tomato paste because the sheer volume of meat and beans
required more tomato flavor.

Instead of chili and cayenne powders, I seasoned the chili with Texas
Longhorn Hott Damn Chili Fixin's. Sparingly, of course.

Chili is a pretty forgiving dish. I generally just make it, like today,
with whatever happens to be handy. I posted a picture under Miscellany.
Made with shredded beef, the finished dish looks like something Joe Rogan
would require you to eat in order to win the $50,000 on Fear Factor. But
it tastes good.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : stews/chilis

16 ounces dried black beans -- rinsed and sorted
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef stew meat -- 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1 medium green pepper -- finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely minced
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
5 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
water -- as needed

Rinse and sort the beans. Place into a 3-quart saucepan with 2 quarts of
water. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Let stand for one hour.
Drain; add fresh water, and bring to a second boil. Reduce heat and simmer
for one hour. Drain.

Coat stew meat with a small amount of flour. While beans are cooking,
brown ground beef and stew meat in a 4-quart saucepan (start the ground
beef first, so there is some fat in the pan to keep the stew meat from
sticking). When meat is browned, add the onion and green pepper. Cook
until the onion is translucent. Drain off any excess fat. Add garlic,
tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until beans are ready. Add beans and water,
if needed. Cook until beans are desired texture. Adjust seasonings if
needed.

Serve with crackers and shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese.

Yield:
"4 quarts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Ranger

Damsel > wrote in message
> I made [..] Black Bean Slop.
>
> I had some shredded beef in the freezer, leftover from a
> chuck roast vs. crockpot competition that was decided in
> favor of the crock pot.

The Winnuh, and steeelll champ'een...

> Used that, along with a pound of hamburger, for the
> meat section. WAY too much meat!

Ha! Y'all can't never have 'nough meat in chili! Nevuh!

[snip remaining process]
Clan Ranger has a Gatherin' this weekend... I'll just have to give it a
fly-by on the crowd. Chili 'n cornbread!

Thanks DiD!

The Ranger

jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> I used my black bean chili recipe as a jumping off point for what I
> made today. Black Bean Slop.
>
> I had some shredded beef in the freezer, leftover from a chuck roast
> vs. crockpot competition that was decided in favor of the crock pot.
> Used that, along with a pound of hamburger, for the meat section.
> WAY too much meat!
>
> Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat
> chunks of tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5
> ounces of golden Roma diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol'
> immersion blender. Also added a small can of tomato paste because
> the sheer volume of meat and beans required more tomato flavor.
>
> Instead of chili and cayenne powders, I seasoned the chili with Texas
> Longhorn Hott Damn Chili Fixin's. Sparingly, of course.
>
> Chili is a pretty forgiving dish. I generally just make it, like
> today, with whatever happens to be handy. I posted a picture under
> Miscellany. Made with shredded beef, the finished dish looks like
> something Joe Rogan would require you to eat in order to win the
> $50,000 on Fear Factor. But it tastes good.
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

So, the beans are actually cockroaches and the shredded beef is worms?

Jill

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili
>
> Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
> Categories : stews/chilis

> 16 ounces dried black beans -- rinsed and sorted
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 pound beef stew meat -- 1/2" cubes
> 1 medium onion -- finely chopped
> 1 medium green pepper -- finely chopped
> 1 clove garlic -- finely minced
> 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
> 5 teaspoons chili powder
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1 teaspoon salt
> water -- as needed
>
> Rinse and sort the beans. Place into a 3-quart saucepan with 2
> quarts of water. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Let stand
> for one hour. Drain; add fresh water, and bring to a second boil.
> Reduce heat and simmer for one hour. Drain.
>
> Coat stew meat with a small amount of flour. While beans are cooking,
> brown ground beef and stew meat in a 4-quart saucepan (start the
> ground beef first, so there is some fat in the pan to keep the stew
> meat from sticking). When meat is browned, add the onion and green
> pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent. Drain off any excess
> fat. Add garlic, tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until beans are
> ready. Add beans and water, if needed. Cook until beans are desired
> texture. Adjust seasonings if needed.
>
> Serve with crackers and shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese.
>
> Yield:
> "4 quarts"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Damsel wrote:
>
> > Chili is a pretty forgiving dish. I generally just make it, like
> > today, with whatever happens to be handy. I posted a picture under
> > Miscellany. Made with shredded beef, the finished dish looks like
> > something Joe Rogan would require you to eat in order to win the
> > $50,000 on Fear Factor. But it tastes good.
> > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
> >

> So, the beans are actually cockroaches and the shredded beef is worms?

Yeah, we couldn't find any live, hissing Madagascar cockroaches, so we had
to settle on domestic. Want a bowl??

Carol
jmcquown

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
> > Damsel wrote:
> >
> > > Chili is a pretty forgiving dish. I generally just make it, like
> > > today, with whatever happens to be handy. I posted a picture under
> > > Miscellany. Made with shredded beef, the finished dish looks like
> > > something Joe Rogan would require you to eat in order to win the
> > > $50,000 on Fear Factor. But it tastes good.
> > > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
> > >

> > So, the beans are actually cockroaches and the shredded beef is worms?

> Yeah, we couldn't find any live, hissing Madagascar cockroaches, so we had
> to settle on domestic. Want a bowl??
>
> Carol

I'll take that challenge! (Saw some of those hissing cockroaches at the zoo
last month - in an aquarium, of course - but still UGH!)

Jill

Pandora

"Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I used my black bean chili recipe as a jumping off point for what I made
> today. Black Bean Slop.

[Cut]
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

The Photo looks like the one of "Drunked beans"!
I think this is a good recipe! I try this one also!
Thank You Carol.
Cheers
Pandora

sf

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:52:47 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat chunks of
> tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5 ounces of golden Roma
> diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol' immersion blender.

Next time find the cans of pureed tomato. It's less work and the
result is about the same... a little more tomatoey maybe.
Damsel

sf > said:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:52:47 -0500, Damsel wrote:
>
> > Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat chunks of
> > tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5 ounces of golden Roma
> > diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol' immersion blender.

> Next time find the cans of pureed tomato. It's less work and the
> result is about the same... a little more tomatoey maybe.

Normally, I keep several cans of crushed tomatoes on hand. It's getting to
be that time of month when we cooks with what we've gots, so I had to
improvise. We wound up adding two small cans of tomato paste and extra
seasoning. Now, Crash sweats when he eats it. <EG>

Carol
Crash

Damsel wrote:
> sf > said:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:52:47 -0500, Damsel wrote:
> >
> > > Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat chunks of
> > > tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5 ounces of golden Roma
> > > diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol' immersion blender.

> > Next time find the cans of pureed tomato. It's less work and the
> > result is about the same... a little more tomatoey maybe.

> Normally, I keep several cans of crushed tomatoes on hand. It's getting to
> be that time of month when we cooks with what we've gots, so I had to
> improvise. We wound up adding two small cans of tomato paste and extra
> seasoning. Now, Crash sweats when he eats it. <EG>
>
> Carol

it turned out pretty good.. better for a burrito shell tho.. theres
just so much meat in the pot its not funny.. its good stuff.. you all
should try it for yourself's and get back ahold of us with your
review..

Crash

Default User

Damsel wrote:

> Instead of 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (Crash can't/won't eat
> chunks of tomatoes), I used 15 ounces of tomato sauce plus 14.5
> ounces of golden Roma diced tomatoes, squashed with the trusty ol'
> immersion blender.

What I've been doing lately for "smooth tomato" needs is to take a big
can of whole tomatoes and put them in the blender. Run it up to the
highest speed and let it go for a couple of minutes. Then pour the
resultant liquid into a sieve and kind of stir around with a wooden
spoon. The product is pretty thin, so it goes through easily, this is
mainly to remove the seeds. You end up with a fine pure tomato puree.

Brian

REC - Black Bean Chili Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 27 11-01-2009 09:50 PM
REC: Black Bean Chili Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] General Cooking 47 12-08-2007 07:26 AM
Ping Damsel, re. black bean chili Nathalie Chiva General Cooking 6 02-02-2007 04:48 PM
Low-Fat Black Bean Chili Tim Recipes 0 27-12-2005 09:12 PM
LC-REC - Black Bean Chili Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 05-02-2005 01:37 AM