Chip steak - where is it today?

Old 15-07-2005, 09:40 PM
hob
Usenet poster

Default Chip steak - where is it today?

Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

--
------

Old 15-07-2005, 09:59 PM
RobtE
Usenet poster

hob wrote:
Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

They sound similar to what we used to get in MI, except that ours were
called Sizzle Steaks. IFRC, there were 4 sizzle steaks per pack, on a
styrofoam tray, covered with a clingfilm sort of wrapping. As you say,
they were cooked from frozen.

I asked about Sizzle Steaks here a year ago or so, but no one seemed to
know anything about them.

I wish we had something similar in the UK. Cheap and nasty food to some,
I suppose, but they sure were tasty.

RobtE
Old 15-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Alan Shutko
Usenet poster

RobtE writes:

I asked about Sizzle Steaks here a year ago or so, but no one seemed to
know anything about them.

Well, in NW Indiana where I grew up, "sizzle steaks" were tri-tip
steaks....

--
Alan Shutko - I am the rocks.
Conspiracy theory: Humpty Dumpty was pushed.
Old 15-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Andy
Usenet poster

"hob" wrote in
:

Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In
our area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan,
and they were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

I get chip steak from my local butcher. Here, it's used to make Philly
cheesesteaks. It's usually top round roast that's semi-frozen then
sliced paper thin through a meat slicer.

Call around to some local butchers is your best bet.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 15-07-2005, 11:01 PM
I-zheet M'drurz
Usenet poster

Andy spaketh thusly:
"hob" wrote:

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen
or so paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round
"pattie". In our area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the
pan, and they were served in a bun.

I get chip steak from my local butcher. Here, it's used to make
Philly cheesesteaks. It's usually top round roast that's
semi-frozen then sliced paper thin through a meat slicer.

Call around to some local butchers is your best bet.

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
don't you? :-)

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Old 15-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Hal Laurent
Usenet poster

They're sometimes called "minute steaks".

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Old 15-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"hob" wrote in message
Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

I think now all gone - the brand was Camp's and the product was a "Minute Steak"
in the frozen meat section.

Dimitri

Old 16-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Andy
Usenet poster

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in
:

Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
don't you? :-)

The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen cheesesteaks in a
box, located right next to the steakums in the freezer section.

Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell it's
meat.

Andy
Old 16-07-2005, 01:54 AM
I-zheet M'drurz
Usenet poster

Andy spaketh thusly:
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get
'em frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some
variation of the name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging.
The ones we get are IQF with wax sheets in between, so you
only need to take 'em out of the freezer as you need them,
don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

:-) Yep, that's our boys.

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook
snob debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two
guys) but you *do* realize you're essentially talking about
"Steak-Ums", don't you? :-)

The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen
cheesesteaks in a box, located right next to the steakums in the
freezer section.

Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell
it's meat.

OK, I'll admit it's been ages since I've actually *tasted* a
Steakum, but the visual similarity is what I remember. I don't
doubt that the Phillysteaks are better quality (just like a lot
of other similar things in life).

Old 16-07-2005, 05:23 AM
hob
Usenet poster

"Andy" Q wrote in message
.. .
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in
:

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

thank you, sirs/madams. I see them listed.

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
don't you? :-)

I had tried Steakums, and they were not the same - (pressed and processed,
if i remember?)

Old 16-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Stan Horwitz
Usenet poster

"hob" wrote:

Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

Where do you live. In my area (Philadelphia), I would be hard pressed to
think of any grocery store that didn't carry them, but maybe that's
bacause they're very popular here due to Philly's famous Philadelphia
Cheese steak sandwich. Why don't you ask for them at your favorite
grocery store if you don't see them?
Old 16-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Stan Horwitz
Usenet poster

In article , Andy Q
wrote:

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in
:

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
don't you? :-)

The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen cheesesteaks in a
box, located right next to the steakums in the freezer section.

Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell it's
meat.

Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section if you
want the real thing.
Old 16-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I-zheet M'drurz
Usenet poster

Stan Horwitz spaketh thusly:
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get
'em frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some
variation of the name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging.
The ones we get are IQF with wax sheets in between, so
you only need to take 'em out of the freezer as you need
them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section
if you want the real thing.

Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best thing".
I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at the butcher shop
or service meats section for a fresh piece of meat for a sandwich,
but that's not the case for everybody.

Old 16-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Stan Horwitz
Usenet poster

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

Stan Horwitz spaketh thusly:
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get
'em frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some
variation of the name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging.
The ones we get are IQF with wax sheets in between, so
you only need to take 'em out of the freezer as you need
them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section
if you want the real thing.

Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best thing".
I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at the butcher shop
or service meats section for a fresh piece of meat for a sandwich,
but that's not the case for everybody.

It takes no more time than buying any other type of meat. What's the big
deal? Its not like you would have to wait for the store's butcher to go
out and slaughter a cow first.
Old 17-07-2005, 05:29 AM
I-zheet M'drurz

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best
thing". I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at
the butcher shop or service meats section for a fresh piece
of meat for a sandwich, but that's not the case for
everybody.

It takes no more time than buying any other type of meat. What's
the big deal? Its not like you would have to wait for the
store's butcher to go out and slaughter a cow first.

You have to stop and buy yours 15 times, mine is bought once and
in the freezer. Here, let me translate: If we each want a steak
salad when we get home from work tonight, you need to stop at the
store, I need to open my freezer and 30 seconds later it's in the
pan frying. Oh yeah, you pick an $8 piece of delmonaco and get
the butcher to slice it for you, I paid about $3.30 a pound for
mine, last I checked (and that's not even total "wholesale".) You
stand there and kabitz with the widow Wilson while somebody
cuts your steak, and I'm at home prepping my salad. Is any of
this sinking in yet?

Getting REAL tired of this elitist, bullshit attitude on this
newsgroup, that everything must be "the real/best thing." You
blowhard snobs don't understand convenience and/or economy,
aka: "REAL Life".