Margaret Suran

Default HELP with preserving sweet cherries

ellen wickberg wrote:

> you don't need to use glass. If you have a crock with a lead free

glaze that is even nicer.
> Ellen

Thank you, but I do not want to use a crock. I do not have a crock
and if I had one, there would be no room for it in my minuscule
kitchen, which is hidden in my tiny New York City apartment. I want
to (have to) use individual little jam jars and give them out as gifts
later on. It is less a matter of choice than a matter of necessity.

Thank you for your suggestion. I remember the great earthenware
crocks of my childhood. We kept everything in them, especially the
monthly goose liver, with the goose fat rendered and and poured over
it, to be used for cooking on a daily basis. The goose liver was
large and was used up during the month as well, mostly as liver
appetizers for the grown ups in our family.

Bubba Vic, if you happen to see this, what is the English word for
Leberpastete?
nancree

Margaret Suran asked:
"Bubba Vic, if you happen to see this, what is the English word for
Leberpastete?
----------------------------
I'm not Bubba Vic (smile) but it means liver pie, or liver pastry.
Cheers,
Nancree

Schweinefleischpastete {f} [cook.] porkpie

Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Bubba Vic, if you happen to see this, what is the English word for
> Leberpastete?

The semi-English word is liver pté (or paste).

Bubba Vic
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Bubba Vic, if you happen to see this, what is the English word for
>>Leberpastete?

> The semi-English word is liver pté (or paste).
>
> Bubba Vic

Why do I have the feeling that I already asked you this? Thank you,
but I remember our cook making something she called Leberpastete, but
it had a crust made of some kind of dough and was baked. I never saw
this particular kind of dish again and it may have been her invention.

What am I thinking of, or do you not know what I mean?
Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> > Margaret Suran > wrote:
> >
> >>Bubba Vic, if you happen to see this, what is the English word for
> >>Leberpastete?

> > The semi-English word is liver pté (or paste).

> Why do I have the feeling that I already asked you this?

Maybe you did. :-)

> Thank you,
> but I remember our cook making something she called Leberpastete, but
> it had a crust made of some kind of dough and was baked. I never saw
> this particular kind of dish again and it may have been her invention.
>
> What am I thinking of, or do you not know what I mean?

Pté en croûte, i.e. that same Leberpastete enclosed in a pastry shell.
Probably a French influence, which is not at all rare but not really
typical around here.

Bubba

Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:

>>>The semi-English word is liver pté (or paste).

>>Why do I have the feeling that I already asked you this?

> Maybe you did. :-)
>

>>Thank you,
>>but I remember our cook making something she called Leberpastete, but
>>it had a crust made of some kind of dough and was baked. I never saw
>>this particular kind of dish again and it may have been her invention.
>>
>>What am I thinking of, or do you not know what I mean?

> Pté en croûte, i.e. that same Leberpastete enclosed in a pastry shell.
> Probably a French influence, which is not at all rare but not really
> typical around here.
>
> Bubba

Yes, indeed, that would be the English name for it. ) It was
wonderful and we ate it both warm and cold. I have always loved liver
of almost any kind. Not pork or lamb, as we never ate that at home.
The French influence probably came from Teta's Polish background. )

Bubba, you are always there to help me and to tell me what I mean.
Thank you, I am so fortunate and glad I know you.

Teta's Leberpastete was a work of art. And of love. The crust was
decorated with flowers or other designs scratched into it and was
brushed with egg wash to make it shiny. The crust itself was was very
light and tasty. The pate was..... I don't know. It was made with
goose liver. I remember biting into the crust, but I do not remember
the taste of the filling. It is more than seventy years ago, since I
last ate it.

Thank you, Margaret
Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Pté en croûte, i.e. that same Leberpastete enclosed in a pastry shell.
> > Probably a French influence, which is not at all rare but not really
> > typical around here.

> Yes, indeed, that would be the English name for it. ) It was
> wonderful and we ate it both warm and cold. I have always loved liver
> of almost any kind. Not pork or lamb, as we never ate that at home.
> The French influence probably came from Teta's Polish background. )

Quite possibly. The French influnce on Polish cuisine was at least as
profound as on any other European country's (just think of those Polish
kings who were also French dukes). "Goose liver pté" is "pasztet z
gesich watróbek" in Polish, if I'm not mistaken. Where is Monika when
one needs her?

> Bubba, you are always there to help me and to tell me what I mean.
> Thank you, I am so fortunate and glad I know you.

I know. You'd have been hopelessly and miserably lost without me and
reduced to sharing various beety dishes with Barb, not knowing what else
is out there.

Bubba
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>>Pté en croûte, i.e. that same Leberpastete enclosed in a pastry shell.
>>>Probably a French influence, which is not at all rare but not really
>>>typical around here.

>>Yes, indeed, that would be the English name for it. ) It was
>>wonderful and we ate it both warm and cold. I have always loved liver
>>of almost any kind. Not pork or lamb, as we never ate that at home.
>>The French influence probably came from Teta's Polish background. )

> Quite possibly. The French influnce on Polish cuisine was at least as
> profound as on any other European country's (just think of those Polish
> kings who were also French dukes). "Goose liver pté" is "pasztet z
> gesich watróbek" in Polish, if I'm not mistaken. Where is Monika when
> one needs her?

There you are, I can plainly see the word "Pastete", spelled
differently in Polish.

When Teta cleaned the goose, she would take the largest and best
feathers for herself and shape them into writing quills with a sharp
little knife.

The next size feathers were gathered to make little brushes for
cooking chores, such as basting roasts, greasing pans or brushing
cakes with egg wash.

The rest of the feathers went into two different piles, the larger
ones, when enough had ben accumulated, would be used to make feather
pillows, the fine ones from the chest of the goose, the down, was
saved until there was enough to make a featherbed, or as it was called
in Vienna, a plumeau.

I loved to play with the feathers, making extra work for Teta, who had
to sweep them off the floor and pick them off the furniture.

>>Bubba, you are always there to help me and to tell me what I mean.
>>Thank you, I am so fortunate and glad I know you.

> I know. You'd have been hopelessly and miserably lost without me and
> reduced to sharing various beety dishes with Barb, not knowing what else
> is out there.

Bubba Vic, I met Barbara and you through your Duesseldorfer Mustard,
remember? Up to then I had not even figured out that Barbara and
Melba's Jammin' were one and the same. I had been semi-lurking for
years, so that was quite an accomplishment, not knowing, I mean.

I made an Apple and Blueberry Crisp for dessert. I substituted fresh
orange juice for the water and used half white, half dark brown sugar,
instead of all white. Marcel said it was "fine", but he took a second
piece. )

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> The rest of the feathers went into two different piles, the larger
> ones, when enough had ben accumulated, would be used to make feather
> pillows, the fine ones from the chest of the goose, the down, was
> saved until there was enough to make a featherbed, or as it was called
> in Vienna, a plumeau.

Or in Rokytov, a perina.

Al's Halushky

2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
chopped cabbage
chopped onion
some butter

Mix the flour, eggs, and milk to make a thick batter. Push it through a
struhadlo (halushky maker :-0) into a vat of boiling water and cook
gently for 5 minutes.

Toss with the chopped cabbage and onion that have been fried in some
butter.

Peasant food. The hit of the family reunion on July 3. Al was Queen of
the May that day.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!
Monika Adamczyk

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>>Pté en croûte, i.e. that same Leberpastete enclosed in a pastry shell.
>>>Probably a French influence, which is not at all rare but not really
>>>typical around here.

>>Yes, indeed, that would be the English name for it. ) It was
>>wonderful and we ate it both warm and cold. I have always loved liver
>>of almost any kind. Not pork or lamb, as we never ate that at home.
>>The French influence probably came from Teta's Polish background. )

> Quite possibly. The French influnce on Polish cuisine was at least as
> profound as on any other European country's (just think of those Polish
> kings who were also French dukes). "Goose liver pté" is "pasztet z
> gesich watróbek" in Polish, if I'm not mistaken. Where is Monika when
> one needs her?

Monika is about 2 months behind in reading RFC (only 20000+ messages
left to read).
Bubba got the name right. Pasztet, aka pate is very popular in Poland
and can be made from liver, liver/meat or meat only. Hare meat pate is
also considered classic although not as popular as it was last century
when hunting was common activity. These days mixture of pork and beef or
veal is used most often.

Monika

Nancy Young

"Monika Adamczyk" > wrote

> Monika is about 2 months behind in reading RFC (only 20000+ messages left
> to read).

Look who it is! Nice to see you.

nancy