Mr. Clueless

Default Help! Moron seeks advice on how not to ruin boneless prime spencer ribeyes. Friends? Romans? Mssr. Pastorio?

I have a new propane grill that I have yet to use, but I'm also open
to ways of preparation that don't involve grilling...just don't want
to waste these steaks!

Thanks,

Mr. Clueless
Peter Aitken

"Mr. Clueless" > wrote in message
> I have a new propane grill that I have yet to use, but I'm also open
> to ways of preparation that don't involve grilling...just don't want
> to waste these steaks!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mr. Clueless

In my experience propane grills do not get hot enough to do steaks properly.
I had to buy a Weber charcoal kettle for those situations where I want
really high heat. My favorite nn-grill methoid for steak it to brown one
side in a really hot cast iron pan, flip the steak, then finish it in a 500
degree oven.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

Default Help! Moron seeks advice on how not to ruin boneless prime spencer ribeyes. Friends? Romans? Mssr. Pasto

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mr. Clueless

>In my experience propane grills do not get hot enough to do steaks properly.
>I had to buy a Weber charcoal kettle for those situations where I want
>really high heat. My favorite nn-grill methoid for steak it to brown one
>side in a really hot cast iron pan, flip the steak, then finish it in a 500
>degree oven.
>
>Peter Aitken

You must have a Toys R Us grill... my propane Weber reaches 750F, actually too
hot for cooking anything... soon as I toss the steaks on I lower the heat from
high to medium and close off the center flame entirely, otherwise I would have
charcoal, the steaks.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Emil Luca

I second that way. It will be tasty especially a cast iron grill that
leaves the dark stripes on the meat.
Pure flavor.

--
Emil
"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mr. Clueless" > wrote in message
> > I have a new propane grill that I have yet to use, but I'm also open
> > to ways of preparation that don't involve grilling...just don't want
> > to waste these steaks!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mr. Clueless

> In my experience propane grills do not get hot enough to do steaks

properly.
> I had to buy a Weber charcoal kettle for those situations where I want
> really high heat. My favorite nn-grill methoid for steak it to brown one
> side in a really hot cast iron pan, flip the steak, then finish it in a

500
> degree oven.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Ted Campanelli

On 5/12/2004 3:33 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Use some inexpensive cuts of meat on the grill FIRST. This way you will
get used to HOW your grill heats, hot spots, time needed, etc. You will
have to learn where to set the knobs for the heat you want. Do not
believe the "built in" thermometers - many are highly inaccurate, use a
good oven thermometer and put it on the grill itself, not the warming
shelf, to determine the temperature.

> I have a new propane grill that I have yet to use, but I'm also open
> to ways of preparation that don't involve grilling...just don't want
> to waste these steaks!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mr. Clueless

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:37:46 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Mr. Clueless" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have a new propane grill that I have yet to use, but I'm also open
>> to ways of preparation that don't involve grilling...just don't want
>> to waste these steaks!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mr. Clueless

>In my experience propane grills do not get hot enough to do steaks properly.
>I had to buy a Weber charcoal kettle for those situations where I want
>really high heat. My favorite nn-grill methoid for steak it to brown one
>side in a really hot cast iron pan, flip the steak, then finish it in a 500
>degree oven.

I am a relatively recent convert to cast iron, but this procedure is a
solution to lots of problems, not just steaks. At lower oven temps,
you have a relaxed finish to many dishes, including pork rpasts,thick
fish fillets and shad roe.

Anyone who doesn't have a big cat iron skillet should look for one.
Old is better, if old enough that the inside was ground smooth, but
even the new ones with the rough surface are very useful.

I know this is old news to most on this group, but it may help a
newbie or two.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .