Kswck

Default Need an opinion on Blue Cheese Dressing

Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
greater amount.

I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
don't like it myself, can someone advise me the difference in taste and
which would be tastier on wings?

Thank you.

Lynn Gifford

"Kswck" > wrote in message et>...
> Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
> about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> greater amount.
>
> I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
> don't like it myself, can someone advise me the difference in taste and
> which would be tastier on wings?
>
> Thank you.

This is a restaurant recepie and makes 2 quarts. It keeps well and I
like it becayuse it has blue cheese flavor all through - not just
lumps of chees in a nondescript "sauce". It's also thick & works well
for dipping.

Dutch Mill Gorgonzola Dressing
From the old "Dutch Mill" in Minot, ND This is the late George
Kontos' original recipe!

1 lb Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
2 cups whole milk
1 quart real mayonnaise

Coarsely crumble cheese. Scald milk, add all but about one cup of
crumbled cheese. Stir over low heat till cheese melts. Cool to room
temperature. Beat in the mayonnaise. Fold in reserved cheese crumbles.
Refrigerate.

This is a real restaurant recipe. It doesn't "halve" well. You just
have to share! For "smooth" dressing, do not reserve crumbles. Makes 2
quarts
Lynn from Fargo
ScratchMonkey

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> Just get some hidden valley ranch and add a few crumbs of blue cheese.
> That way you can keep the ranch for salads and please the other folks
> who like the blue cheese.

Oh, god, please don't! Blue cheese lovers know the difference, and the idea
of faux blue cheese made with ranch is almost stomach-turning.
sf

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:47:59 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
> > about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> > greater amount.
> >
> > I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
> > don't like it myself, can someone advise me the difference in taste and
> > which would be tastier on wings?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> Just get some hidden valley ranch and add a few crumbs of blue cheese. That
> way you can keep the ranch for salads and please the other folks who like
> the blue cheese.

Save time/trouble and don't add the extra cheese, plain ole
Hidden Valley works for me (with buffalo wings).

paul cooke

Kswck wrote:

> Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
> about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> greater amount.
>
> I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
> don't like it myself,

personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

--
Use Linux - Computer power for the people: Down with cybercrud...
ScratchMonkey

BTW, found some nice recipes on the Treasure Cave site. Here's two, one for
dressing and one for Buffalo strips:

http://www.treasurecavecheese.com/re...cdressing.html

(I'd substitute the Christopher-Ranch garlic for the powder.)

http://www.treasurecavecheese.com/re...lotenders.html

And here's Frank's recipe collection for Buffalo wing variations:

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipe-c...?recipeID=5653
ScratchMonkey

sf > wrote in news:nn5u90tb2ebnb1o31gkscjp30b5uvev12h@
4ax.com:

> Save time/trouble and don't add the extra cheese, plain ole
> Hidden Valley works for me (with buffalo wings).

True, if you like Ranch, don't get cheese in it. But the tradition is blue
cheese, and I prefer it, and I don't want to get Ranch in my blue cheese.

ScratchMonkey

paul cooke > wrote in
:

> personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

lol

http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmon...s/buffwing.htm

http://www.buffalowings.com/
Wayne

paul cooke > wrote in
:

> Kswck wrote:
>
>> Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It
>> seems about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is
>> used in a greater amount.
>>
>> I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings.
>> Since I don't like it myself,

> personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

Keep tuning in...ya learn something new here everyday!

--
Wayne

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

CoastWatcher

Wayne wrote:
> paul cooke > wrote in
> :
>

>>Kswck wrote:

snip

>>personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

Well Gee Whiz Pilgrim! Reckon you outta get out more often...

Dave Smith

Kswck wrote:

> Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
> about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> greater amount.
>
> I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
> don't like it myself, can someone advise me the difference in taste and
> which would be tastier on wings?

Why not just buy a bottle of the stuff, something like Kraft. If you like the
stuff, I would recommend that you add a little extra blue cheese to it, but if
you don't really like it, there is not much point to going out and buying all
the ingredients to make it yourself. You would be hard pressed to find a
chunk of blue cheese for less than the cost of a bottle of prepared dressing.

Maverick

"paul cooke" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>
> > Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It

seems
> > about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> > greater amount.
> >
> > I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings. Since I
> > don't like it myself,

> personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

I wouldn't recommend that you try Rocky Mountain Oysters then either... ;->

Bret

sf

On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:11:16 -0500, ScratchMonkey
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:nn5u90tb2ebnb1o31gkscjp30b5uvev12h@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > Save time/trouble and don't add the extra cheese, plain ole
> > Hidden Valley works for me (with buffalo wings).

> True, if you like Ranch, don't get cheese in it. But the tradition is blue
> cheese, and I prefer it, and I don't want to get Ranch in my blue cheese.

Let me amend that: Buffalo wings are not "gourmet" enough
to merit homemade anything. Use a bottled dressing, don't
sweat over the details (except for the hot sauce).

Doug Freyburger

paul cooke wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>
> > Google, Yahoo, etc. has numerous recipes on blue cheese dressing. It seems
> > about half and half which ingredient; mayo or sour cream is used in a
> > greater amount.

Everyone has a different favorite recipe. Make both and try them,
or average them and use equal amounts. From my bias it is simple:
I like sour cream, I mildly dislike mayo. I vote for much more
sour cream than mayo - same as in tuna salad.

> > I'm looking for a blue cheese dressing for use on buffalo wings.

> personally, I didn't know Buffalo had wings...

The popular wings are small. Buffalos you see in zoos and praries
are large. Clearly the wings are removed while they are still very
young ;^)