FoodBanter.com

-   -   Toasters... crumbless? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/64453-toasters-crumbless.html)

[email protected] 04-07-2005 04:18 PM

Toasters... crumbless?

OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)

Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.

Anyone?

Edwin Pawlowski 04-07-2005 04:27 PM

> wrote in message
> Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
> Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
> even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
> someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
> brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
>
> Anyone?

I never see crumbs for under the Kitchen Aid toaster. They all have some
provision, but I'm sure some brands perform better than others.

Margaret Suran 04-07-2005 05:05 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>>Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
>>Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
>>even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
>>someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
>>brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
>>
>>Anyone?
>>

> I never see crumbs for under the Kitchen Aid toaster. They all have some
> provision, but I'm sure some brands perform better than others.

The crumbs do not depend on the toaster, but on the bread you toast.
A firm slice of Rye Bread is less likely to generate crumbs than an
English Muffin.

The crumbs have to go someplace. Pulling out the tray and wiping it
clean is a matter of seconds and I really do not believe that a
toaster exists that eliminates the need to do it.

sf 04-07-2005 08:58 PM

On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, wrote:

> OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
> a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
>
> Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
> Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
> even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
> someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
> brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
>
> Anyone?

I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it. We bought it
several years ago and I think it was in the $50 - 60 range at that
point.

Wayne Boatwright 04-07-2005 10:05 PM

On Mon 04 Jul 2005 08:18:35a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
> a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
>
> Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
> Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
> even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
> someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
> brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
>
> Anyone?

We have a fairly inexpensive Protor Silex 4-slice model and there is never
any problem with crumbs falling through. They are completely contained in
the slide out crumb tray. Perhaps you need to clean yours more often.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/4/2005 2:02:02 PM

[email protected] 04-07-2005 10:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
contained. I will look into those options.

Nancy Young 04-07-2005 11:09 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
contained. I will look into those options.

How about putting a small aluminum tray under the toaster, or even
just some aluminum foil. This way all you have to do is dump it out
and replace it.

nancy

Terry Pulliam Burd 04-07-2005 11:11 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:58:27 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
>toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it. We bought it
>several years ago and I think it was in the $50 - 60 range at that
>point.

I have a Cuisinart toaster, as well. It doesn't "pop up" the toast, it
*ejects* it, which is why you have more crumbs on it than under it!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Sheldon 05-07-2005 12:49 AM

sf wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, wrote:
>
> > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
> > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
> >
> > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
> > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
> > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
> > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
> > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
> >
> > Anyone?

> I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
> toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it.

That's just a result of having trouble lining up with the slit.

Sheldon

jmcquown 05-07-2005 01:31 AM

Nancy Young wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
> lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
> contained. I will look into those options.
>
> How about putting a small aluminum tray under the toaster, or even
> just some aluminum foil. This way all you have to do is dump it out
> and replace it.
>
> nancy

Excellent suggestion, Nancy!

Jill

sf 05-07-2005 08:02 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:11:03 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I have a Cuisinart toaster, as well. It doesn't "pop up" the toast, it
> *ejects* it, which is why you have more crumbs on it than under it!

LOL!!!! That's the TRUTH! It scares me at times.

sf 05-07-2005 08:03 AM

On 4 Jul 2005 16:49:12 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, wrote:
> >
> > > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
> > > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
> > >
> > > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
> > > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
> > > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
> > > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
> > > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
> > >
> > > Anyone?

> > I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
> > toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it.

> That's just a result of having trouble lining up with the slit.

HUH?