Carasau Bread Foto

Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Pandora
Usenet poster

Default Carasau Bread Foto

This is a very simple recipe for a snake or for a fast food during the
hotter hours of the day. You need only the "Carasau bread" original from
Sardinia; a sort of sheet of pastry bread (like pizza but much more thin and
very very crisp). I don't know if you can find it.
Ingredients:
Sheets of "Carasau bread"
Little round tomatoes (quality "Pachino")
Good olive oil
salt
Garlic (if you want)
Basil or oregano

In a large dish put some pieces of "Carasau". Then put one stratum of
tomatoes (cutted in little pieces),oil, salt and basil. Cover with another
stratum of Pieces of Carasau, tomatoes and the same condiment of oil etc.
Serve at the moment this dish because the water contained in the tomatoes
could soften the crispness of the bread.
Here is the foto
http://tinypic.com/6p2upx.jpg

Have a good meal!!!! (Buon appetito)
Cheers
Pandora

Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Nathalie Chiva
Usenet poster

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:18:51 GMT, "Pandora"
wrote:

This is a very simple recipe for a snake or for a fast food during the
hotter hours of the day. You need only the "Carasau bread" original from
Sardinia; a sort of sheet of pastry bread (like pizza but much more thin and
very very crisp). I don't know if you can find it.

I love pane Carasau, and buy several packages every time I go to Italy
(it keeps forever). I don't know why, in Switzerland we can find just
about every grocery product marketed in Italy (albeit at a price), but
not pane Carasau!

Nathalie in Switzerland
Old 03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

"Nathalie Chiva" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

This is a very simple recipe for a snake or for a fast food during the
hotter hours of the day. You need only the "Carasau bread" original from
Sardinia; a sort of sheet of pastry bread (like pizza but much more thin
and
very very crisp). I don't know if you can find it.

I love pane Carasau, and buy several packages every time I go to Italy
(it keeps forever). I don't know why, in Switzerland we can find just
about every grocery product marketed in Italy (albeit at a price), but
not pane Carasau!

Nathalie in Switzerland

"Great Snakes"
(An exclamation used by W. C. Fields)
Dee

Old 03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Pandora
Usenet poster

"Nathalie Chiva" wrote:

This is a very simple recipe for a snake or for a fast food during the
hotter hours of the day. You need only the "Carasau bread" original from
Sardinia; a sort of sheet of pastry bread (like pizza but much more thin
and
very very crisp). I don't know if you can find it.

I love pane Carasau, and buy several packages every time I go to Italy
(it keeps forever). I don't know why, in Switzerland we can find just
about every grocery product marketed in Italy (albeit at a price), but
not pane Carasau!

What a pity!!!!!
Ciao Nathalie

Old 03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
sf
[...]

What a BEAUTIFUL food picture, Pandora! Thank you. It looks like a
wonderful warm day snack, for sure. Is the mosaic tile background in
your courtyard? It's beautiful too.

Question: Is pene carasau a crisp flatbread? It looks lighter and
more delicate than any cracker bread I've seen. I wonder if we can
substitute another type of "cracker" bread (Scandinavian, Armenian)?

Old 03-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Pandora
Usenet poster

"sf" wrote:
Pandora wrote:

Here is the foto
http://tinypic.com/6p2upx.jpg

What a BEAUTIFUL food picture, Pandora! Thank you. It looks like a
wonderful warm day snack, for sure. Is the mosaic tile background in
your courtyard? It's beautiful too.

Thank you!!! Sorry for the "Snake" ((((
But I enjoy that you could appreciate it (In the photo).

Question: Is pene carasau a crisp flatbread?

Yes. Something like this: like a sheet of paper and very very crispy. It is
very difficult to make it by hand. You fin it in very big market.

It looks lighter and
more delicate than any cracker bread I've seen.

Yes. It is the half of an half of a cracker!!!!

I wonder if we can
substitute another type of "cracker" bread (Scandinavian, Armenian)?

Were do you live?
ciao
Pandora

Old 04-07-2005, 04:12 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:16:37 GMT, Pandora wrote:

I wonder if we can
substitute another type of "cracker" bread (Scandinavian, Armenian)?

Were do you live?

I live in the US, San Francisco.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Pandora
Usenet poster

"sf" wrote
Pandora wrote:
I wonder if we can
substitute another type of "cracker" bread (Scandinavian, Armenian)?

Were do you live?

I live in the US, San Francisco.

Can't you find a Carasau?
If not I send to you.
Bye
Pandora

Old 04-07-2005, 07:17 AM
serene
Usenet poster

sf wrote:

[...]

I serve a very similar thing, but with cubes of olive bread in place of
the flatbread. Delicious.

serene
Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Pandora
Usenet poster

"serene" wrote:
I serve a very similar thing, but with cubes of olive bread in place of
the flatbread. Delicious.

Ohhh! Nice! Have you got a photo?
I make olive bread for myself with the bread machine called "Alice". I send
you a photo.

http://tinypic.com/6psyyq.jpg

Ciao
Pandora

P.s. When do you come from Serene?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 PM
sf
Usenet poster

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:05:06 GMT, Pandora wrote:

"sf" wrote
Pandora wrote:
I wonder if we can
substitute another type of "cracker" bread (Scandinavian, Armenian)?

Were do you live?

I live in the US, San Francisco.

Can't you find a Carasau?
If not I send to you.

Frankly, I'd never heard of carasau before you mentioned it. I'll ask
a couple of friends of Italian heritage if they know about it. If
they do, I might be able to find where it's baked here. Unfortunately
the Little Italy part of what we call North Beach isn't what it was 25
- 30 years ago, so there are many things Italian that we don't have
anymore... real Italian delis and the (fresh) pasta shop for starters.
Most of what's left is either Yuppy or touristy Italian.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
sf
Usenet poster

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:59:28 GMT, Pandora wrote:

"serene" wrote:
I serve a very similar thing, but with cubes of olive bread in place of
the flatbread. Delicious.

Ohhh! Nice! Have you got a photo?
I make olive bread for myself with the bread machine called "Alice". I send
you a photo.

http://tinypic.com/6psyyq.jpg

Ciao
Pandora

P.s. When do you come from Serene?

I hope both of you post the recipes! I don't use a bread machine, so
if you have regular baking instructions that would be great.

Caio

Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Pandora
Usenet poster

"sf" wrote:

Frankly, I'd never heard of carasau before you mentioned it. I'll ask
a couple of friends of Italian heritage if they know about it. If
they do, I might be able to find where it's baked here. Unfortunately
the Little Italy part of what we call North Beach isn't what it was 25
- 30 years ago, so there are many things Italian that we don't have
anymore... real Italian delis and the (fresh) pasta shop for starters.
Most of what's left is either Yuppy or touristy Italian.

Ok! if you write my to my private e-mail I will send you some packs.
Cheers
Pandora

Old 05-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Vilco
Usenet poster

Mi e' parso che sf abbia scritto:

Question: Is pene carasau a crisp flatbread?

Well, Pandora did kindly skip over your little typo, but remember
that "pAne" is bread, while "pEne" is... well, you guessed right

--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Old 13-07-2005, 08:47 AM
serene
Usenet poster

Pandora wrote:

"serene" wrote:
I serve a very similar thing, but with cubes of olive bread in place of
the flatbread. Delicious.

Ohhh! Nice! Have you got a photo?

No, but next time I make it, I will post one. My tomatoes may even
ripen in a few weeks, and I can make it with my own tomatoes. That would
be exciting. (Right now, my tomato plant looks sick and infested, so I'm
not sure it'll end up actually ripening the dozens of little tomatoes on
it.)

I make olive bread for myself with the bread machine called "Alice". I send
you a photo.

http://tinypic.com/6psyyq.jpg

Nice. :-)

P.s. When do you come from Serene?

I live in Oakland -- near San Francisco, in California. Because you've
been so sweet posting photos, here are some pictures of my neighborhood
and the places that we go:

Temescal, our cool neighborhood where we go to the cafe, and the shops:
http://www.temescalplace.com/nbrhd.html

Nomad Cafe, about 8 blocks from our place:
http://www.gypsyspiritmission.com/html/nomad.htm

My job that I love: http://dsp.berkeley.edu/

My other job that I don't hate:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...iew?storeId=12
&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&StoreName=emeryville

serene