Nexis

Default Porcupine meatballs...only not

Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to find a
recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like porcupine
meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard of
this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.

Thanks
kimberly

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
> find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
> like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
> of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
> stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
> the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>
> Thanks
> kimberly

Yep, my mom didn't make hers with tomato sauce... she did pretty much what
you describe. Brown the beef meatballs with the rice and then simmer in
beef stock until cooked. Then she would add sour cream and serve the
meatballs over noodles much like a stroganoff.

Jill

Bolivar

Nexis wrote:

> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to find a
> recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like porcupine
> meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
> sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard of
> this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>
> Thanks
> kimberly

Kimberly,

You might want to look at this recipe of Damsel's. She made them at the
2002 Chicago cookin, and they were great.

http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/...meatballs.html

Boli
Nexis

"Bolivar" > wrote in message
> Nexis wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to

find a
> > recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like

porcupine
> > meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
> > sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard

of
> > this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
> >
> > Thanks
> > kimberly

> Kimberly,
>
> You might want to look at this recipe of Damsel's. She made them at the
> 2002 Chicago cookin, and they were great.
>
> http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/...meatballs.html
>
> Boli

Thanks!

kimberly

Nexis

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nexis wrote:
> > Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
> > find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
> > like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
> > of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
> > stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
> > the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
> >
> > Thanks
> > kimberly

> Yep, my mom didn't make hers with tomato sauce... she did pretty much what
> you describe. Brown the beef meatballs with the rice and then simmer in
> beef stock until cooked. Then she would add sour cream and serve the
> meatballs over noodles much like a stroganoff.
>
> Jill

Did she add anything else? It sounds yummy to me I would skip the noodles
and just eat the meatballs...too many carbs for me I fear.

Thanks
kimberly

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Nexis wrote:
>>> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying
>>> to find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
>>> like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but
>>> instead of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
>>> stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
>>> the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> kimberly

>> Yep, my mom didn't make hers with tomato sauce... she did pretty
>> much what you describe. Brown the beef meatballs with the rice and
>> then simmer in beef stock until cooked. Then she would add sour
>> cream and serve the meatballs over noodles much like a stroganoff.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Did she add anything else? It sounds yummy to me I would skip the
> noodles and just eat the meatballs...too many carbs for me I fear.
>
> Thanks
> kimberly

Mom did the noodles thing because she was feeding a family of 5 - I believe
they call it "stretching" I'd just eat the meatballs, too. Let me see
if I can get more specifics from her when we talk later today. There must
have been more to it, but Mom never did get very creative with herbs and
spices. I seem to recall this being a Betty Crocker recipe from the old
1950's ring-binder version, if that helps at all.

Jill

jmcquown

Default PING: Kimberly (WAS: Porcupine meatballs...only not)

Nexis wrote:
> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
> find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
> like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
> of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
> stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
> the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>
> Thanks
> kimberly

Is this what your SIL was looking for?

"1-1/2 lb. ground beef
1/3 c. instant rice
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. grated onion
2 tbsp. shortening
1/2 c. water
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. sour cream
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 1-1/2 quart casserole. Combine beef,
rice, salt and onion; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2 inch balls. Brown on all
sides over medium heat. Arrange in casserole.

Drain fat from skillet; stir in water, bouillon, Worcestershire and soup.
Cook over medium heat, stir frequently until thickened and smooth. Remove
from heat. Blend in sour cream. Pour over meatballs. Bake 45 minutes. Serve
over noodles or rice."

Now, I'm like you - I can't see the need for noodles or rice, but again,
this is one of those "feed a family" stretch it recipes. I cannot fathom
the need for shortening??? Mom said she never used cream of mushroom soup,
just simmered the browned meatballs in beef stock, Worcestershire, seasoned
with pepper and then stirred in sour cream to thicken it up. She also
didn't bake the meatballs. Simmered, covered, on the stovetop and then
stirred in the sour cream right before serving.

Jill

hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
news
> Nexis wrote:
>> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
>> find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
>> like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
>> of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
>> stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
>> the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>>
>> Thanks
>> kimberly

> Is this what your SIL was looking for?
>
> "1-1/2 lb. ground beef
> 1/3 c. instant rice
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 c. grated onion
> 2 tbsp. shortening
> 1/2 c. water
> 1 beef bouillon cube
> 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
> 1 can cream of mushroom soup
> 1/2 c. sour cream
> Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 1-1/2 quart casserole. Combine
> beef, rice, salt and onion; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2 inch balls.
> Brown on all sides over medium heat. Arrange in casserole.
>
> Drain fat from skillet; stir in water, bouillon, Worcestershire and
> soup. Cook over medium heat, stir frequently until thickened and
> smooth. Remove from heat. Blend in sour cream. Pour over meatballs.
> Bake 45 minutes. Serve over noodles or rice."
>
> Now, I'm like you - I can't see the need for noodles or rice, but
> again, this is one of those "feed a family" stretch it recipes. I
> cannot fathom the need for shortening??? Mom said she never used cream
> of mushroom soup, just simmered the browned meatballs in beef stock,
> Worcestershire, seasoned with pepper and then stirred in sour cream to
> thicken it up. She also didn't bake the meatballs. Simmered,
> covered, on the stovetop and then stirred in the sour cream right
> before serving.
>
> Jill

The shortening can be replaced with Pam as all it is for is greasing the
casserole dish to stop sticking.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Virginia Tadrzynski

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to find

> recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like porcupine
> meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
> sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard of
> this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
>
> Thanks
> kimberly

Try this, a bit different:

2 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbsp brown mustard
2 tsp. horseradish
1 Tbsp worcheshire

mix together into small meatballs, brown.
Add one can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of water to pan, scraping up
the bits on the bottom. Put meatballs back in pan and mix until heated
thoroughly.

Serve over rice or noodles.

-Ginny

Nexis

Default Kimberly (WAS: Porcupine meatballs...only not)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Nexis wrote:
> > Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
> > find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
> > like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
> > of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
> > stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
> > the recipes I read had tomato sauce.
> >
> > Thanks
> > kimberly

> Is this what your SIL was looking for?
>
> "1-1/2 lb. ground beef
> 1/3 c. instant rice
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 c. grated onion
> 2 tbsp. shortening
> 1/2 c. water
> 1 beef bouillon cube
> 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
> 1 can cream of mushroom soup
> 1/2 c. sour cream
> Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 1-1/2 quart casserole. Combine beef,
> rice, salt and onion; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2 inch balls. Brown on all
> sides over medium heat. Arrange in casserole.
>
> Drain fat from skillet; stir in water, bouillon, Worcestershire and soup.
> Cook over medium heat, stir frequently until thickened and smooth. Remove
> from heat. Blend in sour cream. Pour over meatballs. Bake 45 minutes.
Serve
> over noodles or rice."
>
> Now, I'm like you - I can't see the need for noodles or rice, but again,
> this is one of those "feed a family" stretch it recipes. I cannot fathom
> the need for shortening??? Mom said she never used cream of mushroom soup,
> just simmered the browned meatballs in beef stock, Worcestershire,

seasoned
> with pepper and then stirred in sour cream to thicken it up. She also
> didn't bake the meatballs. Simmered, covered, on the stovetop and then
> stirred in the sour cream right before serving.
>
> Jill

Thanks so much Jill! I passed it along, along with the variations of your
mom's, and my SIL is thrilled. She's going to make it this week, so I told
her to let me know how it turns out and which way she did it (soup, no soup,
etc). I'll let ya know! ;-)

kimberly

Bean

"Nexis" > wrote in news:TbVmc.17053$k24.182@fed1read01:

> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
> find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like
> porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all..

The recipe I have for this came from a Beef Rice-a-roni recipe. I used to
eat them all the time in college - haven't had them for a while. This may
not be gourmet, but they are easy:

1 package Beef Rice-A-Roni
1 pound ground beef
1 egg

Instructions

Combine ground beef, egg, and rice.
Shape into small meatballs.
Brown on all sides in a skillet.
Mix contents of beef seasoning packet with 2 1/2 cups of hot water.
Pour over meatballs.
Cover & simmer for 30 minutes.

Dan Abel

In article <TbVmc.17053$k24.182@fed1read01>, "Nexis" > wrote:

> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to find a
> recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like porcupine
> meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
> sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard of
> this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.

This isn't what you asked for, but it's yummy and we eat it often. It's
from memory, but originally from the Frugal Gourmet:

GREEK MEATBALLS
===============

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1/3 cup raw white rice
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
16 oz can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup flour

Mix first five ingredients in bowl (I usually throw in other spices
according to how I feel that day). Heat tomato sauce in large saucepan
with two cans of water. Add olive oil to saucepan. Make meatballs. Put
flour on plate and roll meatballs in flour. Add meatballs to saucepan.
Cook at slow simmer for one hour. The flour will make a gravy. Serve
over noodles.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Tamzen Cannoy

wrote:

> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to find a
> recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was like porcupine
> meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead of a tomato based
> sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like stroganoff. Has anyone heard of
> this? I did a brief search, but all the recipes I read had tomato sauce.

Hmm. I never heard of such a thing in tomato sauce. yuck. We just
used condenced cream of mushroom soup thinned with chicken broth when I
was a kid.
Wayne

Tamzen Cannoy > wrote in
:

> In article <TbVmc.17053$k24.182@fed1read01>, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I got an odd request from my sister in law today. She's trying to
>> find a recipe for something her mom used to make. She said it was
>> like porcupine meatballs, with the rice and meat and all, but instead
>> of a tomato based sauce, it had a creamy sauce, rather like
>> stroganoff. Has anyone heard of this? I did a brief search, but all
>> the recipes I read had tomato sauce.

> Hmm. I never heard of such a thing in tomato sauce. yuck. We just
> used condenced cream of mushroom soup thinned with chicken broth when
> I was a kid.

It's pretty common to make "such a thing" in tomato soup diluted with some
water. We never had this at home growing up, but several friends did.

--
Wayne

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Tamzen Cannoy

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> It's pretty common to make "such a thing" in tomato soup diluted with some
> water. We never had this at home growing up, but several friends did.

It's one of those regional things. Where I grew up meatloaf didn't come
in or with ketchup either.