Ghost Hunter

Default Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe

Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe

Ingredients:
3-4 Lbs Pork Fat Skin/Rind On (unsalted) cut into 1-inch cubes
Juice of 1 Lime
4 Cups Condensed Milk*
1/8-1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
4 Tbsp Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp. Sweet Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Soft Butter
1 Cup Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Slap yo Momma Cajun Seasoning (dry salty hot powder)
1 Tsp. Asses of Fire or Tabasco Sauce (sweet hot sauce wet)
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
4 Cups new Lard for frying (make sure it's new)
2 Cup Confectioners Sugar (not regular)
3 Tbsp Shredded Coconut (optional)
1 Tsp Ground Cardamom - available at most Asian food stores
(optional)
Fresh Mint leaves for garnish
1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper

* a 2:1:1 mixture of 2% milk, regular sugar and corn starch can also be
used

Wash and place Pork Fat in a wide bowl, squeeze juice of 1 lime over
pork fat and mix well. This will clean and tenderize the fat and remove

any residual 'off' taste. Leave for at least 15 minutes, preferably
longer, and then wash and drain thoroughly (you need to remove all
traces of the lime juice before proceeding to the next step or the milk
will curdle).

Mix 2 cups condensed milk, ground cloves and coconut milk, pour over
pork fat and marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.

Preparation:

Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in a deep fryer to about 350-375 degrees.
Prepare batter by mixing together remaining 2 cups condensed milk, rice
wine vinegar, wet sweet hot sauce and soft butter.

In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and dry salty Cajun
seasoning.

In a COLD bowl, whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing
until smooth. Keep batter on ice.

Remove Pork Fat from marinade but do not dry, quickly (very quickly)
dust with flour and dip into the batter.

Rotate pork fat until batter covers entire cube.

Very, very, very, carefully place the battered pork fat in hot oil.

Pork fat will float, and air pockets may pop so it's a good idea to use
a splatter screen if you have one.

Fat cubes should turn golden in 4 to 5 minutes.

Rotate and turn to make sure that the entire fat cube has been browned
(be careful to neither overcook nor undercook!).

Remove fried sweet-battered pork fat to paper towel and let drain
(drain well).

In a wide rolling tray, blend confectioners sugar, shredded coconut and
ground cardamom.

While battered pork fat is still warm roll in confectioners sugar,
shredded coconut and ground cardamom mix to coat generously.

Place on a bed of mint leaves, or garnish with mint leaves (mint leaves
may also be eaten). Sprinkle mint leaves with a light coating of
confectioners sugar and cayenne pepper.

Suggested accompaniment: Hurricane (full or half), Mint Julep
(bourbon), Corona, Casa del Sol, Carribe, Don Equis etc. Wine - none,
Wine Cooler - none

rmg

"Ghost Hunter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe

<snip>

> While battered pork fat is still warm roll in confectioners sugar,
> shredded coconut and ground cardamom mix to coat generously.

This explains so much somehow...

------------------------
rox

Cindy Fuller

In article .com>,
"Ghost Hunter" > wrote:

> Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe

recipe snipped, mercifully

Hmmm, looks like a dessert for the Atkins crowd.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Jeff Bienstadt

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Ghost Hunter" > wrote:
>
>> Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe
>>

> recipe snipped, mercifully
>
> Hmmm, looks like a dessert for the Atkins crowd.
>
> Cindy

I think one of my arteries just exploded.

---jkb

--
"Damn you, brocolli!"
-- Stewie Griffin

zxcvbob

Jeff Bienstadt wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>

>>In article .com>,
>> "Ghost Hunter" > wrote:
>>

>>>Deep-Fried Candied Pork Fat - New Orleans Recipe
>>>

>>recipe snipped, mercifully
>>
>>Hmmm, looks like a dessert for the Atkins crowd.
>>
>>Cindy
>>

> I think one of my arteries just exploded.

They'll do that if you don't keep 'em greased...

Bob