jmcquown

Default Irish Brown Bread

A friend provided this recipe; I have not tried it yet. She was on a trip
to Ireland a few years ago and said she very much enjoyed eating this with
breakfast at the B&B's they stayed in.

Irish Brown Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tbs. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a cookie sheet. Whisk all dry ingredients
together thoroughly. Add buttermilk and mix with fork until just moistened.
Turn out on floured surface, and knead gently until smooth - about 1 minute.
Shape dough into a ball and place on cookie sheet. Flatten into a 7 inch
circle about 1 1/2" thick. Cut through center with floured knife almost to
the bottom. Cut through again at right angles to form a cross. Bake 35-40
minutes, or until top is golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove
from oven, brush with butter, cool.

She adds 2 Tbs brown sugar to the dry ingredients and does not use the
butter; I'll use the butter since it forms such a nice glaze on freshly
baked bread.

Jill

Dunter Powries

jmcquown > wrote in message
> She adds 2 Tbs brown sugar to the dry ingredients and does not use the
> butter; I'll use the butter since it forms such a nice glaze on freshly
> baked bread.

Try brushing a little of the buttermilk on the top just before you put the
loaf in the oven.

Incidentally, two more cuts and you can call them 'scones.'

jmcquown

Dunter Powries wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in message
>> She adds 2 Tbs brown sugar to the dry ingredients and does not use
>> the butter; I'll use the butter since it forms such a nice glaze on
>> freshly baked bread.

> Try brushing a little of the buttermilk on the top just before you
> put the loaf in the oven.
>
> Incidentally, two more cuts and you can call them 'scones.'

Thanks for the suggestion! What I call 'scones' are made with cream of
tarter, patted out, cut into triangles and baked on a cast iron griddle. At
least, that's how my Scottish grandmother made them I inherited that
griddle.

Jill

Dunter Powries

jmcquown > wrote in message
> Dunter Powries wrote:
> > jmcquown > wrote in message
> >> She adds 2 Tbs brown sugar to the dry ingredients and does not use
> >> the butter; I'll use the butter since it forms such a nice glaze on
> >> freshly baked bread.

> > Try brushing a little of the buttermilk on the top just before you
> > put the loaf in the oven.
> >
> > Incidentally, two more cuts and you can call them 'scones.'

> Thanks for the suggestion! What I call 'scones' are made with cream of
> tarter, patted out, cut into triangles and baked on a cast iron griddle.

At
> least, that's how my Scottish grandmother made them I inherited that
> griddle.

I THINK that what our Scottish grandmothers called scones was more properly
'bannock.' I'm probably just muddled by current usage, but I think of
bannocks and saps being made on the griddle and scones and baps being made
in the oven, a 'scone' being much the same as a biscuit - aside from the
traditional shape. On the other hand, my grandmother was just as likely to
serve me toasted WonderBread® as a homemade scone.

Dunty Porteous

--
It tastes like burning..... waaaaa!!!!"
-Ralph Wiggum

jmcquown

Dunter Powries wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in message
>> Dunter Powries wrote:
>>>
>>> Try brushing a little of the buttermilk on the top just before you
>>> put the loaf in the oven.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, two more cuts and you can call them 'scones.'

>> Thanks for the suggestion! What I call 'scones' are made with cream
>> of tarter, patted out, cut into triangles and baked on a cast iron
>> griddle. At least, that's how my Scottish grandmother made them
>> I inherited that griddle.

> I THINK that what our Scottish grandmothers called scones was more
> properly 'bannock.' I'm probably just muddled by current usage

No, you're probably correct. And there has been a lot of discussion here
lately about "current usage" vs. proper usage in terms of food; see the
SHRIMP SCAMPI thread )

> I think of bannocks and saps being made on the griddle and scones and
> baps being made in the oven, a 'scone' being much the same as a
> biscuit - aside from the traditional shape. On the other hand, my
> grandmother was just as likely to serve me toasted WonderBread® as a
> homemade scone.
>
> Dunty Porteous

Irish Soda Bread MummyChunk General Cooking 4 12-03-2014 03:05 AM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 22-12-2007 10:47 PM
Irish Soda Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2006 03:18 PM
Irish Soda Bread Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2005 04:19 AM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 10-08-2004 01:58 AM