Michael Odom

Default Being visible

Am I?

Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
Does anybody see me?

OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.

Bye.
modom

Michael Odom > wrote:
> Am I?

> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
> Does anybody see me?

I do ... at least your newsgroup posting.

> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

Awesome!

> OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
> ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

> OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

> OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.

So where're you living now?

Charles Gifford

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> Am I?

Hi Michael! Yes.

> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
> Does anybody see me?

Well, I can hear you.

> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

Brilliant! The world is a brighter place now. I wish you joy of your new gas
range!

> OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
> ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

Yum indeed! I too prefer grass fed beef

> OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

Be careful when weeding things out. I always have, within a week or so,
found that I needed that which I so rightously threw out.

> OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.

Batten ye hatches!

> Bye.
> modom

Charlie

hw

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> Am I?
>
> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
> Does anybody see me?
>
> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!
>
> OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
> ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.
>
> OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.
>
> OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.
>
> Bye.
> modom

You do be...gonna be in the 90's plus this week-end in SoCal...

Peter Aitken

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> Am I?
>
> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
> Does anybody see me?
>
> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

Have you used gas before and know that's what you want? Then fine. But if
you are getting one just because of the supposed "superiority" of gas, take
a look here before you decide: http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Peter Aitken

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:01:27 -0500, Michael Odom >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Am I?
>
>Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
>Does anybody see me?
>
>OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
>electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

One word: Thermador. The one with a gas cooktop and convection oven.
Absolutely rocks. The cooktop burners are star shaped (great
distribution of heat) and have a very slow and ultra-slow setting that
turns itself on and off for all day cooking of soups, stews, etc.
Dials are easy to read. (I made the mistake of buying a Dacor, the
predecessor of the Thermador, and had to kneel to see the digital
"dials.")

>OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
>ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

Dang. There definitely are some disadvantages to living near the beach
in SoCal: no place to put a freezer. OTOH, we can walk to the beach
and walk to the bar!

>OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

I'm a former Air Force brat/corporate wife and have refined moving to
an art. Although you didn't ask, this is a perfect time to get rid of
stuff. Oddly, I recommend (if you can afford it) to move everything to
the new place and make decisions about what to keep and what to toss
at the new place. Invariably, if I get rid of stuff before a move, I
find it's needed in the new space. And, although it's a massive pain
in the butt, label boxes in detail. Writing "living room" or "Suzie's
room" isn't going to tell you what a priority box is. "Suzie's
bedding" gets unpacked before "Suzie's Barbie doll collection."
"kitchen towels, hot pads, etc." is going to get unpacked before
"breadmaker, mandoline, Christmas cookie cutters."

>OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.

I miss storms. SoCal has so few.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:40:34 GMT, "hw" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>You do be...gonna be in the 90's plus this week-end in SoCal...

Not in this chunk of SoCal (south Orange County) - 78° was our high
today (Sat.) and about 83° tomorrow. Where are you?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Michael Odom

On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:09:04 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Am I?
>>
>> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
>> Does anybody see me?
>>
>> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
>> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!
>>

>Have you used gas before and know that's what you want? Then fine. But if
>you are getting one just because of the supposed "superiority" of gas, take
>a look here before you decide: http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm
>
>Peter Aitken

Have I used gas before? Sir! You cut me to the quick!

Why, I was cooking with gas back when we had to wait for the local
mastodon to fart so we could get enough pressure for the broiler.

I've been cooking with gas so long that Ken Burns wants to make a
documentary about me.

Mason Williams wrote "Classical Gas" about a pork chop I fried for
him.

Hell, the local gas company was first incorporated because they
perceived a lucrative market in my cooking habits.

Although there is no truth to the legend that I named it gas, I was
present when the term was coined as an acronym for "Grill And Sautee."

modom
Michael Odom

On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:22:19 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>One word: Thermador. The one with a gas cooktop and convection oven.
>Absolutely rocks. The cooktop burners are star shaped (great
>distribution of heat) and have a very slow and ultra-slow setting that
>turns itself on and off for all day cooking of soups, stews, etc.
>Dials are easy to read. (I made the mistake of buying a Dacor, the
>predecessor of the Thermador, and had to kneel to see the digital
>"dials.")

They look great, but sticker shock doesn't quite convey the glacial
numbness that enveloped me when I checked the prices online just now.

>>OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
>>ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

>Dang. There definitely are some disadvantages to living near the beach
>in SoCal: no place to put a freezer. OTOH, we can walk to the beach
>and walk to the bar!
>>
>>OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

>I'm a former Air Force brat/corporate wife and have refined moving to
>an art. Although you didn't ask, this is a perfect time to get rid of
>stuff. Oddly, I recommend (if you can afford it) to move everything to
>the new place and make decisions about what to keep and what to toss
>at the new place. Invariably, if I get rid of stuff before a move, I
>find it's needed in the new space. And, although it's a massive pain
>in the butt, label boxes in detail. Writing "living room" or "Suzie's
>room" isn't going to tell you what a priority box is. "Suzie's
>bedding" gets unpacked before "Suzie's Barbie doll collection."
>"kitchen towels, hot pads, etc." is going to get unpacked before
>"breadmaker, mandoline, Christmas cookie cutters."

We're only moving about half a mile, so it's been a week of small
loads twixt and tween, getting ready for the big haul on Tuesday. D
hired Three-Bubbas-and-a-Truck, Inc. for the final Big Push. We might
make some money if we sell tickets to the show.

My grandmother used to say that three moves equal one burn. And
inspite of your (and others') good advice, I must confess to having
lightend our load of material posessions lately.

>>OBStorms: We've got a doozy bearing down on us tonight.
>>

>I miss storms. SoCal has so few.

The storms passed, and it got cold enough for the heat to come on in
the new place today. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Hope
I didn't toss out the manual.

modom
PENMART01

>Ain't got one yet. After the gale of bills that came with our new
>house, I'll have to wait a month or so for the purchase. Meanwhile,
>do you have any ideas on brands and models I might consider.

GE Profile, nonpareil.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Michael Odom

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:20:41 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
.. .

>> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
>> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!

>Brilliant! The world is a brighter place now. I wish you joy of your new gas
>range!

Ain't got one yet. After the gale of bills that came with our new
house, I'll have to wait a month or so for the purchase. Meanwhile,
do you have any ideas on brands and models I might consider. Squeaks
suggested Thermador, but I'm in the market for something less
expensive.

>> OBFood: We're getting a freezer so we can buy bulk beef. We already
>> ordered a quarter steer. Grass-fed and organic. Yum.

>Yum indeed! I too prefer grass fed beef
>
>> OBMoving: Yikes! How did I accumulate all this stuff.

>Be careful when weeding things out. I always have, within a week or so,
>found that I needed that which I so rightously threw out.

Too late.

modom
hw

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:40:34 GMT, "hw" >
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>

> >You do be...gonna be in the 90's plus this week-end in SoCal...
> >

> Not in this chunk of SoCal (south Orange County) - 78° was our high
> today (Sat.) and about 83° tomorrow. Where are you?

Monrovia...San Gabriel Valley...btwn Duarte & Pasadena

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Blair P. Houghton

Peter Aitken > wrote:
>"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Am I?
>>
>> Koyote conjured a new news server this week. I'm not sure it works.
>> Does anybody see me?
>>
>> OBCooking: I discovered an incredibly convenient gas line behind the
>> electric stove in the new house. Gas range, here we come!
>>

>Have you used gas before and know that's what you want? Then fine. But if
>you are getting one just because of the supposed "superiority" of gas, take
>a look here before you decide: http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Nice page.

Where's the entry for "Farmed Salmon is inferior to Wild Salmon: False!"?

--Blair
"Needs one."

PENMART01

>>Have you used gas before and know that's what you want? Then fine. But if
>>you are getting one just because of the supposed "superiority" of gas, take
>>a look here before you decide: http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Response speed
When you turn the heat up or down gas responds immediately. This is important
for certain cooking tasks. Electric is definitely much slower responding than
gas. You can compensate to some extent by moving the pan off and on the
element, but it's not nearly as convenient as gas.
Gas is the winner

Simmering
Many gas stoves, particularly high-end ones, have greatly improved simmering.
For slow, even, worry-free simmering, however, electric is still the champ.

Not true... gas can be infinitely adjusted to match any size pot, whereas
electric burner controls are limited by one simmer setting. Gas is the winner.

Boiling speed In comparison tests, gas stoves are almost always slower to boil
a large pot of water than an electric stove with the same BTU rating. This is
probably because a lot more heat escapes with gas.

Electric wins only under ideal theoretical conditions, that the pot bottom
makes good contact with the element. Gas could care less regarding pot
configuration. Gas almost always wins.

Use with a wok Woks are designed for cooking over an open flame, and the fast
response speed of a traditional thin steel wok will be compromised when used on
an electric element. If you have an electric stove you can do a perfectly good
stir fry by placing a flat-bottomed wok directly on the element, but a round
bottomed wok over a gas burner is better. gas wins

Escaping heat It's unavoidable - a gas burner produces a lot of hot air that
has no choice but to flow up and around your pan and into the kitchen. This
means that less heat gets into your food, the pan's handles may get very hot,
and the room heats up more. With electric and a pan that is not too small for
the element, more heat goes into the food and less into the handles and the
room.

With a pot properly sized for the burner heat loss minimal with gas... even
with a properly sized pot unless there is excelent contact with the electric
element much heat is lost. Gas wins.

In addition, gas ovens vent more heat than electric ovens.

This is utter nonsense, gas and electric ovens both vent the same.

Choice of pans
Electric stoves, particularly the flat top models, require the use of pans with
reasonably flat bottoms. The bottom does not have to be perfectly flat - which
is essentially impossible anyway - but if the pan is too far off flat the
efficiency of heat transfer will be lowered. Plus, pans with a convex (bowed
out) can be unstable on a flat top stove, rocking or spinning while in use. In
contrast you can use pretty much any pan on a gas stove regardless of how flat
the bottom is.

This supports the previous contentions that gas loses more heat, it does not.
Gas wins.

Cleaning
While the old-style coil electric burners are not all that easy to clean, they
are still easier than gas because you do not have to worry about gunk getting
into the burners. Needless to say, the new flattop electric ranges are a breeze
to clean. electric

Modern gas burners are sealed, making them as easy if not easier to clean than
modern electric burners... gas berner parts can even go into the dishwasher,
not so with electric elements. Gas wins.

Btw, gas is also substantially less expensive to operate

In each and every respect, GAS WINS!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sun, 02 May 2004 07:53:22 GMT, "hw" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:40:34 GMT, "hw" >
>> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>>

>> >You do be...gonna be in the 90's plus this week-end in SoCal...
>> >

>> Not in this chunk of SoCal (south Orange County) - 78° was our high
>> today (Sat.) and about 83° tomorrow. Where are you?

>Monrovia...San Gabriel Valley...btwn Duarte & Pasadena

San Clemente, near the beach. Still, it was a HELL of a lot hotter
than predicted. More tomorrow. Cooling off mid-week.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Charles Gifford

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Ain't got one yet. After the gale of bills that came with our new
> >house, I'll have to wait a month or so for the purchase. Meanwhile,
> >do you have any ideas on brands and models I might consider.

> GE Profile, nonpareil.

I agree. For even less money I've heard very good things about Tappan gas
ranges as well.

Charlie

hahabogus

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> >Ain't got one yet. After the gale of bills that came with our new
>> >house, I'll have to wait a month or so for the purchase. Meanwhile,
>> >do you have any ideas on brands and models I might consider.

>> GE Profile, nonpareil.

> I agree. For even less money I've heard very good things about Tappan gas
> ranges as well.
>
> Charlie

If you want bills try an induction cook top...same fast response as gas but
more efficent engery use...after ticket shock. But you need cookware that a
magnet will stick to.
--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.