Ajanta

Default Panasonic Toaster Oven vs Cuisinart and Delonghi

I am sick of my slowly deteriorating $39 Black & Decker and need a new
toaster oven. Important considerations are reliability, quality of
toasting, speed, convenience. The cheaper the better but upto and
around $100 is ok. Will consider higher prices for exceptional
candidates.

I did look at the new B&D's but they seem more cheaply made than my
unit.

I have heard and read great things about the Panasonic NB-G100P. It
doesn't broil but I can live with that.

I have also checked a few high-end appliance and department stores. One
salesman recommends Cuisinart TOB-30 over Panasonic (they carry both).
Another one a Delonghi 160 (they don't carry Panasonic). Finally, an
discount outlet has Delonghi AS670 for about $110.

If you are in a position to compare the Panasonic with others, I shall
be grateful for your opinion.
Charles Gifford

"Ajanta" > wrote in message

> If you are in a position to compare the Panasonic with others, I shall
> be grateful for your opinion.

I have a DeLonghi that has been extremely faithful for many years. It is an
excellent piece of equipment.

Charlie

RPS

I too have heard very good things about Panasonic, but also noticed
that many of them are being dumped on Ebay by a liquidator.

In rec.food.cooking Ajanta > wrote:
> I am sick of my slowly deteriorating $39 Black & Decker and need a new
> toaster oven. Important considerations are reliability, quality of
> toasting, speed, convenience. The cheaper the better but upto and
> around $100 is ok. Will consider higher prices for exceptional
> candidates.

I have a Toastmaster. It cost me around $40 from Target about two
years ago. I use its broiling feature several times per month and
it hasn't let me down yet. One feature that I really like about
this is the entire interior is non-stick and it pulls out via a
handle, which makes cleaning it a breeze.

Ajanta

> wrote:

> I have a Toastmaster. It cost me around $40 from Target about two
> years ago. I use its broiling feature several times per month and
> it hasn't let me down yet. One feature that I really like about
> this is the entire interior is non-stick and it pulls out via a
> handle, which makes cleaning it a breeze.

Thanks. The price has doubled since then, $80 according to target.com .
However, I'll look at it.

I am still hoping to hear from people who can compare Panasonic,
Cuisinart, and Delnghi offerings in the $100 neighborhood.

Rick Auricchio

I had a faithful DeLonghi for about a dozen years, and it finally
decided to lose one of its heat rods last fall, so out it went. I
replaced it with a Pana NB-G100P and am completely thrilled with the
Pana unit.

The Panasonic heats up very quickly due to the near-infrared (quartz
lamp) element,and it also uses a standard heat rod. Speed is quite
amazing due to the lamps. Occasionally, I'll cut short its
preprogrammed times by just pressing the red power button (as Pana
suggests), especially when, for example, slightly warming a flour
tortilla.

Toast consistency on white bread slices is so good as to create a
pattern of lines on the bread where the rack shields some of the heat.
My wife is quite happy with its performance on bagels.

I've used its roll-reheat preset often; it works well.

When reheating leftover pizza (frozen) I get better results if I first
use a minute of microwave, followed by a few minutes in the Pana's
aluminum sheet pan. (Reheating without first microwaving tends to
overbrown the crust before fully heating the toppings.)

I've cooked up a variety of small frozen items, e.g. fries, in the
sheet pan, and they've been good. (Reheating leftover fries from the
fridge turned out surprisingly good results.)

Because of its quick heating speed, I find I'll use it more often for a
quick warming of a variety of foods. With a conventional-heat unit,
there's just too long a wait.

A drawback for some folks is that it's only available in white.

--
- rick http://www.cfcl.com/~rick/
Rick Auricchio Macs Only: Macintosh support

We like our George Forman rotisserie oven,does a great job on
roasting fowl and many other 'goodies'.

Ajanta

Rick Auricchio > wrote:

> I had a faithful DeLonghi for about a dozen years, and it finally
> decided to lose one of its heat rods last fall, so out it went. I
> replaced it with a Pana NB-G100P and am completely thrilled with the
> Pana unit.

Thank you. I assume you looked at Delonghi, Cuisinart, as well as
others.

> When reheating leftover pizza (frozen) I get better results if I first
> use a minute of microwave, followed by a few minutes in the Pana's
> aluminum sheet pan. (Reheating without first microwaving tends to
> overbrown the crust before fully heating the toppings.)

I discovered this on my own and have been doing it with my present
setup. And not just the toaster oven. It speeds up things and makes
sure everything is thoroughly cooked if you microwave stuff for a
minute or so before heating, broilng, stir-frying. Takes a little
practice to get the times right but the overall experience is better.

PS:
Anybody in a postion to compare the Panasonic with Cuisinart "160"?
Ajanta

Default Do convection ovens really ruin the toast?

As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
Do they? Any experience?
Vox Humana

"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
> convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
> Do they? Any experience?

Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use my
convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without convection) and
make toast in a toaster.

hahabogus

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
news

> "Ajanta" > wrote in message
>> As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
>> convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
>> Do they? Any experience?

> Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use my
> convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without convection)
> and make toast in a toaster.

I believe any toaster oven does a poor job on toast. Because the heating
elements are too far away from the bread. This means it takes longer to
brown the bread, which allows the bread to dry out too much.

I use my toaster to make toast and my convection microwave oven to make 1
dish meals, bake a potato or keep things warm. Since I live alone the
convection oven gets used frequently...so as to not heat up the kitchen
with the stove's oven.

In my opinion toaster ovens have their place and are very useful but not
for making toast.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Peter Aitken

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "Ajanta" > wrote in message
> > As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
> > convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
> > Do they? Any experience?

> Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use my
> convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without convection) and
> make toast in a toaster.

Some toaster ovens make good toast, as good as any toaster I have seen.
Unfirtunately ebven expensive toasters do not always make really good toast.
Convection is probably not a good idea for toast although I have not tried
it.

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
news

> "Ajanta" > wrote in message
>> As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
>> convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
>> Do they? Any experience?

> Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use my
> convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without convection)
> and make toast in a toaster.

When I was growing up there were 8 people in my aunt's family. They always
made toast on a large cookie sheet in oven of their electric range. The
first side was dry toasted, the bread was then flipped and lightly
buttered, then toasted. It's a fond memory of some of the best toast I've
ever eaten. Toast for two in our household is most often made in the
toaster. The oven is too much trouble most of the time.

Wayne
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> news >
> >
> > "Ajanta" > wrote in message
> >> As I am looking the toaster ovens, afe whave commented to me that
> >> convection ovens are not good for toasting, that they dry the bread.
> >> Do they? Any experience?

> > Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use my
> > convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without convection)
> > and make toast in a toaster.

> When I was growing up there were 8 people in my aunt's family. They

always
> made toast on a large cookie sheet in oven of their electric range. The
> first side was dry toasted, the bread was then flipped and lightly
> buttered, then toasted. It's a fond memory of some of the best toast I've
> ever eaten. Toast for two in our household is most often made in the
> toaster. The oven is too much trouble most of the time.
>
> Wayne

There is a difference between toasting something under a broiler and simply
putting it in a hot oven. A true convection oven has a hidden element and a
blower. There is no way you are going to "toast" bread with a convection
oven. A broiler is a fair approximation of a toaster. Therefore it is quite
possible to toast bread under a broiler in an oven. I make garlic toast this
way.

Ajanta

Default Toaster oven: thanks for all the help

I have ordered the Panasonic toaster oven, thanks to everyone for all
the help. I ordered it from abtelectronics.com (the lowest price was
at ecost.com but they were out of stock).

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
>> news >>

>> > Ovens don't make good toast. You need direct radiant heat. I use
>> > my convection ovens for baking. I broil in the oven (without
>> > convection) and make toast in a toaster.

>> When I was growing up there were 8 people in my aunt's family. They

> always
>> made toast on a large cookie sheet in oven of their electric range.
>> The first side was dry toasted, the bread was then flipped and
>> lightly buttered, then toasted. It's a fond memory of some of the
>> best toast I've ever eaten. Toast for two in our household is most
>> often made in the toaster. The oven is too much trouble most of the
>> time.
>>
>> Wayne

> There is a difference between toasting something under a broiler and
> simply putting it in a hot oven. A true convection oven has a hidden
> element and a blower. There is no way you are going to "toast" bread
> with a convection oven. A broiler is a fair approximation of a
> toaster. Therefore it is quite possible to toast bread under a
> broiler in an oven. I make garlic toast this way.

Agreed. I was assuming that one could turn off the confection fan, which
I used to do with my range oven. If fact, there was only an assortment
of things I really liked to use the convection unit for.

Rick Auricchio

Ajanta > wrote:

>...I assume you looked at Delonghi, Cuisinart, as well as others.

I did, but I didn't get too far into the process. I almost went for the
Cuisinart. (Can't remember the model, however.)

I then checked out the reviews on www.epinions.com and found that
several people really didn't like the Cuisinart model I was
considering. I hadn't heard about the NB-G100P till I read about it on
that site. Glad I did.

We were amused to see Alton Brown show the G100P on his show a few
weeks ago...

--
- rick http://www.cfcl.com/~rick/
Rick Auricchio Macs Only: Macintosh support
I acknowledge the existence of a higher power, and have therefore installed
surge suppressors.
Steve Smoot

> I have ordered the Panasonic toaster oven, thanks to everyone for all

Let us know how it works....after a little "fire incident" I'm now in the
market for a new toaster oven....

-s
Ajanta

Steve Smoot > wrote:

> > I have ordered the Panasonic toaster oven, thanks to everyone for all

> Let us know how it works....after a little "fire incident" I'm now in the
> market for a new toaster oven....

I like it a lot. I can think of just one minor negative: the aluminium
tray is cheap quality and better replacements probably don't exist
because of its non-standard size. The toaster oven itself looks, feels,
and works great. (Remember however it doesn't broil.)

I found good choices in Cuisinart and Delonghie lines as well but the
Panasonic was by far the best value.
Steve Smoot

> because of its non-standard size. The toaster oven itself looks, feels,
> and works great. (Remember however it doesn't broil.)

Ok, so, if I never use the broil setting now, things are fine? Or is this
the same as the "top brown" toaster setting? I still dont use that much,
but at least nonzero.

-s