tenplay

Default minced zest of 1 orange?

In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

Wayne Boatwright

"tenplay" > wrote in news:xpkkc.1547$I%1.179493@attbi_s51:

> In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
> Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

Use a citrus zester or vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the orange,
then use a small chef's knife to mince it. Be sure to remove only the zest
(down to just barely below the colored part) and do not cut down into the
pithy part of the peel.

Wayne
Scott

In article <xpkkc.1547$I%1.179493@attbi_s51>,
"tenplay" > wrote:

> In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
> Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
pretty monopurpose.

Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
creates ready-minced zest.

From my favorite hardware site:
<http://tinyurl.com/2rage>

(they have *great* catalogs!)

please mail OT responses only
Charles Gifford

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article <xpkkc.1547$I%1.179493@attbi_s51>,
> "tenplay" > wrote:
>
> > In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
> > Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

> Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> pretty monopurpose.
>
> Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
> creates ready-minced zest.

No way does a microplane create minced zest. Microplanes produce very finely
grated zest.

After removing the zest into strips by any method, one then uses a knife to
mince the zest.

Charlie

Dunter Powries

Charles Gifford > wrote in message
et...

> "Scott" > wrote in message
> > In article <xpkkc.1547$I%1.179493@attbi_s51>,
> > "tenplay" > wrote:
> >
> > > In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1

orange".
> > > Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

> > Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> > part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> > aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> > gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> > by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> > little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> > pretty monopurpose.
> >
> > Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
> > creates ready-minced zest.

> No way does a microplane create minced zest. Microplanes produce very

finely
> grated zest.
>
> After removing the zest into strips by any method, one then uses a knife

> mince the zest.

What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of course.

Incidentally, I got an introductory offer from 'Fine Cooking' the other day
which included a give-away recipe for Orange-Scented English Scones - using
the grated zest of one medium orange, incidentally. It looked interesting
and easy so I whipped up a batch. They were the BEST scones I've ever
eaten!

Dunty Porteous

--
"It tastes like burning..... waaaaa!!!!"
-Ralph Wiggum

Kate Connally

Dunter Powries wrote:

> Charles Gifford > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "Scott" > wrote in message

> orange".
> > >
> > > Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> > > part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> > > aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> > > gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> > > by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> > > little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> > > pretty monopurpose.
> > >
> > > Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
> > > creates ready-minced zest.

> > No way does a microplane create minced zest. Microplanes produce very

> finely
> > grated zest.
> >
> > After removing the zest into strips by any method, one then uses a knife

> > mince the zest.

> What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
> mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of course.

I always hated grating because it's too easy to get too
much pith. When I discovered zesters I got one and that's
what I use to this day. Zest, then mince. Much better
control of what part of the peel you get, thus yielding
much better taste.

Also with graters a lot of the peel remains in the
grater and you have to spend a lot of time trying to
scrape it out. A lot of it gets wasted because it's
impossible to get it all off the grater without rinsing
it under running water. Major nuisance.

My aunt just got a microplane grater. I don't know
how well it works yet. I'll have to ask her if she's
used it yet and if it works better than a regulare
grater. The main thing she got it for was grating
citrus rinds. I didn't like the look of it myself.
It look lethal and like it would be overkill for
small things like lemon or lime. That sucker is nearly
a foot long. I'd be afraid I'd grate my knuckles off
trying to use it. I'll stick to my zester.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Default User

Scott wrote:

> Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> pretty monopurpose.

You can get the kitchen versions (which have nicer handles in my
opinion) at more places these days. True value hardware in my area
carries both the dedicated graters and the ones with the swappable
blades like I have.

Brian Rodenborn

Kate Connally wrote:

> I always hated grating because it's too easy to get too
> much pith.

Not with a microplane. You'll be amazed at the control you have.

Brian Rodenborn
Karen O'Mara

"Dunter Powries" <fech.redcaps@spedlin> wrote in message >...
> What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
> mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of course.

Seems to have a different end result... like garlic or onion would.

Karen
Dave Smith

tenplay wrote:

> In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
> Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

I would use my microplane grater.

PENMART01

>(Karen O'Mara) writes:
>
>"Dunter Powries" wrote:
>> What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
>> mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of

>course.
>
>Seems to have a different end result... like garlic or onion would.

Not really. Onion and garlic are different ingredients. Orange zest is still
orange zest no matter how it is prepared. Whether zest is finely minced or
grated is about appearence, not flavor.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

tenplay > wrote:
> In a recipe I came across, one ingredient is "minced zest of 1 orange".
> Exactly how does one make it? thanks.

Take one orange and peel off the yellow part of the skin. Wash the
orange thoroughly first. Then take the yellow part (the zest) and
chop it finely on a cutting board. There's a little tool called
a zester which you can get for a few dollars at any decent cookwares
store and many supermarkets to make the peeling easier.

Kswck

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >(Karen O'Mara) writes:
> >
> >"Dunter Powries" wrote:
> >> What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and

then
> >> mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of

> >course.
> >
> >Seems to have a different end result... like garlic or onion would.

> Not really. Onion and garlic are different ingredients. Orange zest is

still
> orange zest no matter how it is prepared. Whether zest is finely minced

or
> grated is about appearence, not flavor.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

I disagree Sheldon. I just made a knock-off of A1 sauce and it called for
orange zest. The misture was cooked and then pureed. After pureeing, looks
have nothing to do with it.

PENMART01

writes:
>I disagree Sheldon. I just made a knock-off of A1 sauce and it called for
>orange zest. The misture was cooked and then pureed. After pureeing, looks
>have nothing to do with it.

The question is mince vs grate... no one asked about or gives a fiddler's ****
about puree.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon

Lemon Zest -- how-to? itsjoannotjoann General Cooking 0 26-05-2010 06:41 AM
Orange zest Mike N. Preserving 4 22-08-2008 04:09 PM
Substitutiion for orange zest - clementines or tangerines zest Dee.Dee General Cooking 13 21-12-2007 09:21 PM
Golden Roasted Turkey Breast with Orange Zest, Spinach [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2007 03:04 AM
Orange zest in jam? Joyce Preserving 2 19-07-2005 10:30 AM