sona

Default yummy south indian dishes

wooh! I can make delicious idlies in just 15-20 minute. want to know
the receipe? mail me and more dishes for south india.

Bronwyn

Post a recipe here please!

Vilco

Mi e' parso che sona abbia scritto:

> wooh! I can make delicious idlies in just 15-20 minute.
> want to know the receipe? mail me and more dishes for
> south india.

Are you a spammer in need of valid email addresses, or are you
simply ignoring what a newsgroup is?
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

David Hare-Scott

"sona" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> wooh! I can make delicious idlies in just 15-20 minute. want to know
> the receipe? mail me and more dishes for south india.

There is no way you are getting a valid email address from me (or many
others here I suspect). If you are genuine you would be sharing recipes on
this NG.

David

sona

I am in no need of valid addresses. i only wanted to share the receipe.

sona

sona

Rava Idli for 5 persons

Semolina 2 cups
Sour curd-3 cups
salt
coking soda-1 tea spoon
For seasoning:
Refined oil-1 table spoon
mustard seeds-2 tea spoons
jeera - 2 tea spoons
cashewnuts - 20
salt to taste

method:
heat oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, jeera when they splutter
add cashew nuts. whem they r browm add semolina and fry for 5 minutes.
then remove from flame and add curds and cooking soda mix thoroughly.
keep aside for 5 minutes. then put the batter inthe idli maker. and
steam for 7 minutes.
remove the idlies form the idli maker (about 24 idlies)and serve hot
with coconut chuteny or sambar. in hardly 20 minutes u will be ready
with delicious breakfast.

sona

sona

Rava Idli for 5 persons

Semolina -2 cups
Sour curd-3 cups
cooking soda-1 tea spoon
For seasoning:
Refined oil-1 table spoon
mustard seeds-2 tea spoons
jeera - 2 tea spoons
cashewnuts - 20
salt to taste

method:
heat oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, jeera when they splutter
add cashew nuts. whem they r browm add semolina and fry for 5 minutes.
then remove from flame and add curds, salt and cooking soda mix
thoroughly. keep aside for 5 minutes. then put the batter inthe idli
maker. and steam for 7 minutes.
remove the idlies form the idli maker (about 24 idlies)and serve hot
with coconut chuteny or sambar. in hardly 20 minutes u will be ready
with delicious breakfast.

sona

Shaun aRe

"sona" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am in no need of valid addresses. i only wanted to share the receipe.
>
> sona

No problem, and you've done so, thanks! Don't be disheartened, there's lots
of spam and address harvesting for spam goes on in these groups, so people
get a little suspicious sometimes. Post your recipes here! - Everyone who
wants them gets them then, and it saves you all the time and hassle of
E-mailing to many different people.

Cheers! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe
--
May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.

Shaun aRe

"sona" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> jeera - 2 tea spoons

Jeera = cumin seed for anyone wondering (or afraid of Google, heheheh...).

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Charles Gifford

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "sona" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > jeera - 2 tea spoons

> Jeera = cumin seed for anyone wondering (or afraid of Google, heheheh...).
>
> Cheers!
>
> Shaun aRe

Actually, I believe that it is black cumin seed. Different than cumin.

Charlie

Shaun aRe

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "sona" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > jeera - 2 tea spoons

> > Jeera = cumin seed for anyone wondering (or afraid of Google,

heheheh...).

> > Cheers!
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Actually, I believe that it is black cumin seed. Different than cumin.

It's used for both (and they are both from the parsley family, and share
*some* taste characteristics), but IIRC, there's usually a pre-fix for black
cumin - kala jeera being one of them, shahi (sp?) jeera being another I've
seen often.

Where I lived all my life until this past couple of years (and where I work
now) has a very large Asian community - I only recognized the name 'jeera'
from all the shopping I'd done in the Asian grocers we have all over, same
with 'methi' (fenugreek). I used to know more, but I seem to have smoked a
few holes in my memory... heheh...

So, I haven't a clue to which cumin Sona was referring to I suppose!

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Rhonda Anderson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
>>
>> "sona" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > jeera - 2 tea spoons

>> Jeera = cumin seed for anyone wondering (or afraid of Google,
>> heheheh...).
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Shaun aRe

> Actually, I believe that it is black cumin seed. Different than cumin.
>
> Charlie

According to Gernot Katzer's amazingly useful site (http://www.uni-
graz.at/~katzer/engl/), cumin is jeera or safaid jeera. He lists kala
jeera, shahi jeera, chahi jeera and kashmiri jeera as black cumin.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Shaun aRe

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>

> > "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> > eenews.net...
> >>
> >> "sona" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> Jeera = cumin seed for anyone wondering (or afraid of Google,
> >> heheheh...).
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Shaun aRe

> > Actually, I believe that it is black cumin seed. Different than cumin.
> >
> > Charlie

> According to Gernot Katzer's amazingly useful site (http://www.uni-
> graz.at/~katzer/engl/), cumin is jeera or safaid jeera. He lists kala
> jeera, shahi jeera, chahi jeera and kashmiri jeera as black cumin.

Heh, that's more or less what my reply was, but all I know of the names I
picked up at shops here. Thanks for that link BTW - fantastic, it's now on
my Links bar! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

kalanamak

Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
cumin" sometimes is.
blacksalt

Charles Gifford

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> It's used for both (and they are both from the parsley family, and share
> *some* taste characteristics), but IIRC, there's usually a pre-fix for

black
> cumin - kala jeera being one of them, shahi (sp?) jeera being another I've
> seen often.
>
> Where I lived all my life until this past couple of years (and where I

work
> now) has a very large Asian community - I only recognized the name 'jeera'
> from all the shopping I'd done in the Asian grocers we have all over, same
> with 'methi' (fenugreek). I used to know more, but I seem to have smoked a
> few holes in my memory... heheh...
>
> So, I haven't a clue to which cumin Sona was referring to I suppose!
>
> Cheers!
>

> Shaun aRe

You are right. I was in error. The only jeera I have that is marked as such,
is black cumin. My wilting brain got confused! <g> I should have done what
Rhonda did and check Gernot's site first! I wish Gernot still posted here
regularly!

Charlie, sorry for the inturuption

Rhonda Anderson

kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
@news.uswest.net:

> Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
> of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
> charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
> cumin" sometimes is.
> blacksalt

That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella sativa.
Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds they'd
found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin, but
had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site I
added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially useful
for the great photos.

I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
sona

Cumin (Jeera) is usually used both as whole seed or ground powder in
virtually any Indian curry dish which makes it one of the most
important of all Indian spices. Cumin seeds can be either white or
black. Black cumin seed have slightly more sweeter and delicate flavor
than the white seeds. It gives a powerful aroma which many people
associate with Indian food. It has bitter and nutty taste

Cumin is an ancient spice which history dates back to use in Egypt,
mentioned in bible, used by Greeks, references in middle age Europe.
Cumin is also known to be an appetite stimulant and believed to ease
stomach disorders such as diarrhea.
Cumin powder can be used in daily dishes like in curries and vegetables
etc. good for digestion.

Botanical Name: Cuminum cyminum
Family: Umbelliferae

Dee Randall

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
> @news.uswest.net:
>

>> Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
>> of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
>> charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
>> cumin" sometimes is.
>> blacksalt

> That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella sativa.
> Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds
> they'd
> found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin,
> but
> had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
> not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site I
> added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially useful
> for the great photos.
>
> I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.
>

> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Is not Nigella sativa, a black onion seed?
I've also seen them labeled 'onion seed."
Dee

Rhonda Anderson

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> .5...
>> kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
>> @news.uswest.net:
>>

>>> Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the
>>> shape of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not
>>> applied to charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of
>>> coal, but "black cumin" sometimes is.
>>> blacksalt

>> That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella
>> sativa. Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet
>> of seeds they'd
>> found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black
>> cumin, but
>> had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted
>> or not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one
>> site I added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's
>> especially useful for the great photos.
>>
>> I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.
>>

>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> Is not Nigella sativa, a black onion seed?
> I've also seen them labeled 'onion seed."
> Dee

According to Gernot's site, Nigella sativa is also called black onion
seed because it resembles onion seed. However, Nigella spp. are not
related to onions - they belong to a different family.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Frogleg

On 16 Jun 2005 01:25:26 -0700, "sona" > wrote:

>Rava Idli for 5 persons
>
>Semolina 2 cups
>Sour curd-3 cups
>salt
>coking soda-1 tea spoon
>For seasoning:
>Refined oil-1 table spoon
>mustard seeds-2 tea spoons
>jeera - 2 tea spoons
>cashewnuts - 20
>salt to taste

<snip method>

Seems to me 20 whole cashews are going to make pretty lumpy idli.
Should they be ground or chopped before using in this recipe?

Also, any substitutes for the cooking method? Not many of us have idli
steamers. :-)
sona

Cashew nuts should be choped and mixed in batter or can be placed on
batter before steaming
if u do not have idli steamer. u can stream in cooker but put the
batter in small bowls (half the bowl becoz the batter wil bulge after
steaming)
put litte water in cooker place a plate and keep the bowls over the
plate see that the batter dose not fall in the cooker and steam. after
steaming remove the idlis with help of sharp knife from the edges of
the bowl.

Shaun aRe

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
> @news.uswest.net:
>

> > Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
> > of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
> > charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
> > cumin" sometimes is.
> > blacksalt

> That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella sativa.

'False black cumin' 'false black onion seed' I've heard them called, to help
recovery from the confusion I suppose. I just call it Nigella seed.

> Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds

they'd
> found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin,

but
> had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
> not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site I
> added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially useful
> for the great photos.
>
> I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.

It's a lovely seed, quite... scented, mild flavour in a way, but I'm sure
it's a flavour you'd notice if you used it out of place. It's great in
breads, especially flat breads IMO.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> .5...
> > kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
> > @news.uswest.net:
> >

> >> Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the

shape
> >> of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
> >> charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but

"black
> >> cumin" sometimes is.
> >> blacksalt

> > That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella

sativa.
> > Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds
> > they'd
> > found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin,
> > but
> > had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
> > not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site

> > added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially

useful
> > for the great photos.
> >
> > I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.
> >

> > Rhonda Anderson
> > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> Is not Nigella sativa, a black onion seed?
> I've also seen them labeled 'onion seed."
> Dee

That's another incorrect term - they look like, but aren't onion seed/allium
of any kind (hence 'false black onion seed' as an oft used name).

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >

> > It's used for both (and they are both from the parsley family, and share
> > *some* taste characteristics), but IIRC, there's usually a pre-fix for

> black
> > cumin - kala jeera being one of them, shahi (sp?) jeera being another

I've
> > seen often.
> >
> > Where I lived all my life until this past couple of years (and where I

> work
> > now) has a very large Asian community - I only recognized the name

'jeera'
> > from all the shopping I'd done in the Asian grocers we have all over,

same
> > with 'methi' (fenugreek). I used to know more, but I seem to have smoked

> > few holes in my memory... heheh...
> >
> > So, I haven't a clue to which cumin Sona was referring to I suppose!
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> > Shaun aRe

> You are right. I was in error. The only jeera I have that is marked as

such,
> is black cumin. My wilting brain got confused!

Hey, no problem and in fact *thanks* - ypou made me examine my memory and
see what was in there ',;~}~

> <g> I should have done what
> Rhonda did and check Gernot's site first! I wish Gernot still posted here
> regularly!

Well, I'd not been to that site before, but now I have it in my links -
excellent site indeed.

> Charlie, sorry for the inturuption

Don't be a Charlie Charlie! 'Nowt teh be sorry fer'. Cheers,

Shaun aRe ',;~}~