Fuzzy

Default Use of pulp after juicing?

Hi all,
I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be nice
to.
It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
composting it.
Help appreciated. :-)

notbob

On 2004-04-27, Fuzzy > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.

Yep. Toss the juicer, eat the fruit/veggies whole, get health/nutrition
benefits of juice and pulp/fiber at same time.

nb
Tesoro

"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be

nice
> to.
> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
> composting it.
> Help appreciated. :-)

Why are you getting rid of the nutritious part and drinking the high
glycemic part? If you must drink juice, drink whole juice. Should've bought
a Vita-Mix, which makes juice using the whole fruit or vegetable without
wasting anything.

Fuzzy

Your opinion is appreciated.
That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?
Thanks all the same. :-)

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-04-27, Fuzzy > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.

> Yep. Toss the juicer, eat the fruit/veggies whole, get health/nutrition
> benefits of juice and pulp/fiber at same time.
>
> nb

Kate Dicey

Fuzzy wrote:

> Your opinion is appreciated.
> That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
> But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?
> Thanks all the same. :-)
>
> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2004-04-27, Fuzzy > wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.

> > Yep. Toss the juicer, eat the fruit/veggies whole, get health/nutrition
> > benefits of juice and pulp/fiber at same time.
> >
> > nb

Compost's yer best bet! The pulp is usually to dry to use for anything,
and with some fruits (and veggies) too fibrous to eat, or, in the case
of things like strawberries and raspberries, too seedy. Makes excellent
compost for the next crop, however!

I have the juicer that fits in the Magimix, and that certainly leaves
you with a stiff fibrous paste that really wouldn't be pleasant to eat.

The other thing I do is whizz up whole fruits and make smoothies.

Yellow Smoothie:

1 small mango
1 medium banana
juice of one orange
1 small tub of 0% fat greek yoghurt
1/4 pint of skimmed milk
1 teaspoon of honey

Zizz the whole lot madly until you get a smooth thick creamy
consistency. Pour into tall glasses and slurp through a fat straw.

Red Smoothie

1/2 pint frozen red fruits (I can buy a mix of all sorts of red berries
from my local farm shop)
1/2 pint fresh orange juice
2 bananas
1 teaspoon honey

Again, zizz the lot until nice and smooth, and serve as before.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Peter Aitken

"Tesoro" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Fuzzy" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
> > I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
> > Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be

> nice
> > to.
> > It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead

of
> > composting it.
> > Help appreciated. :-)
> >

> Why are you getting rid of the nutritious part and drinking the high
> glycemic part? If you must drink juice, drink whole juice. Should've

bought
> a Vita-Mix, which makes juice using the whole fruit or vegetable without
> wasting anything.

Or better yet just eat the fruits and vegetables whole. Much better for you!

--
Peter Aitken

Julia Altshuler

Others are correct when they say that getting the whole fruit or
vegetable is your best bet, but if you're intent on separating pulp from
juice and then eating both, you can incorporate the pulp in soups and
bread. This doesn't produce fabulous recipes, but it is acceptably
edible and answers your question. Toss in half a cup of vegetable pulp
in each quart of soup such as chicken noodle or tomato vegetable soup.
It can go in a mushroom barley too. It can also be put in a yeast
bread. I can't give you an exact amount, but it might go in the sponge
stage of a whole grain bread. The pulp won't have much flavor so think
of it as extra bran.

--Lia

Fuzzy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be nice
> to.
> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
> composting it.
> Help appreciated. :-)

Ada Ma

I guess doing it the Julia way is a bit like using up the pulp after making soya
milk and almond milk. The name for the soya pulp leftover is called okara.
May be if you do a search for okara recipes you'd find some ideas. I'd been
looking for them and they often use the okara for:

as a burger mix (I guess it'd a bit hard using fruit pulp)
bread baking
making muffins

Ada

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Others are correct when they say that getting the whole fruit or
> vegetable is your best bet, but if you're intent on separating pulp from
> juice and then eating both, you can incorporate the pulp in soups and
> bread. This doesn't produce fabulous recipes, but it is acceptably
> edible and answers your question. Toss in half a cup of vegetable pulp
> in each quart of soup such as chicken noodle or tomato vegetable soup.
> It can go in a mushroom barley too. It can also be put in a yeast
> bread. I can't give you an exact amount, but it might go in the sponge
> stage of a whole grain bread. The pulp won't have much flavor so think
> of it as extra bran.
>

> --Lia
>

> Fuzzy wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
>> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
>> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be
>> nice
>> to.
>> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
>> composting it.
>> Help appreciated. :-)

PENMART01

Cures constipation... blended with water beats Metamucilage all to hell.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jack Schidt®

"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be

nice
> to.
> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
> composting it.
> Help appreciated. :-)

The pulp has given its all for the juice, so compost is your best bet. The
froth isn't much use either. If you're really frugal, you could mix the
pulp with Elmer's glue and make little figurines...

Jack Pile

joy

Default Don't toss it!

Oh goodness don't toss it out!!

Use the veggie pulp in soups stews and for hamburger filler or meatloaf,
meatballs, toss some in with fried rice dishes! All this can be premade and
frozen.

The fruit would probably go good in some chicken stews or with ground
chicken or turkey as a filler.

Chip dip! Yes chipdip.. toss some in with some yogurt or sour cream and
spices to make chip or veggie dip. Chicken soup base and beef soup base
mixed with some garlic/curry/lemon pepper/dill what have you makes some
awesome dips.. A little extra fiber in it would make it go futher too.

Try making some popsicles out of the fruit and some koolaid for the kids..
kids will eat just about anything and it would be good for them. Or how bout
icecubes for slushie summer drinks? Mix some in Jello! Now bout
experimenting with some fruit roll ups too? Use the pulp spread it thin and
dry it out..

Keep small containers in your freezer and just add to them when you make
juice.. Once you have enough pulp to make something experiment!

Freeze what you don't use and cook up a huge pot of soup one day when you
have enough..

I had an aunt who could make soup and stew out of anything and everything..
course.. it was strange getting soup from her with one sausage floating
around... she'd even use the green on the bottom of cauliflower for pete
sakes! who saves that?

Some chicken or beef soup base some whole veggies and a bit of meat of some
kind you'd have some great soups and heathy too!

Experiment experiment experiment!

This coming from a woman who's never owned a juicer btw *s*.. But hey
anything's worth a try and nothings worth wasting!

I really need a juicer now *chuckle*

"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be

nice
> to.
> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
> composting it.
> Help appreciated. :-)

SportKite1

>From: Donna Rose

>One of the things I like to do is to keep a few peeled bananas in the
>freezer. I use these for making smoothies; they thicken the smoothies
>and make them cold, which is how I like mine.

Yup. We slice ours before freezing and lay them flat in a freezer safe bag.
They break off easier that way and don't tax our overworked cheap blender as
much as a whole banana would. *grin*

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: "Jack Schidt®"

>The pulp has given its all for the juice, so compost is your best bet.

We use a Champion juicer and find the pulp to still have a lot of flavor left.
One of my raw foodie friends saves her pulp, seasons it with herbs and spices,
then lays it flat in her dehydrator to make crackers. Another friend uses
carrot and zucchini pulp to make quick breads and cookies.

>The froth isn't much use either.

For a 16 oz juice I get maybe a 1/2 of froth, but only if I juice really fast.
The slower I go, the less froth. But I always pour the juice from one glass to
another to integrate the froth into the juice.

Ellen

SportKite1

>For a 16 oz juice I get maybe a 1/2 of froth

A half INCH of froth...lol...that is if I am moving fast. Heh!

Ellen

PENMART01

>(SportKite1) wrote:
>
>>For a 16 oz juice I get maybe a 1/2 of froth

>A half INCH of froth...lol...that is if I am moving it fast. Heh!

Limber, ain't we.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
SportKite1

>Limber, ain't we.

You have no idea how demanding people can be.

Ellen

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tesoro" > wrote in message
> Why are you getting rid of the nutritious part and drinking the high
> glycemic part? If you must drink juice, drink whole juice. Should've

bought
> a Vita-Mix, which makes juice using the whole fruit or vegetable without
> wasting anything.

Even the bitter tasting peels? That is why I don't care for most commercial
OJ as they squeeze so hard the bitter oils get into the juice. I love fresh
squeezed, but I add the pulp also.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> Or better yet just eat the fruits and vegetables whole. Much better for

you!

> --
> Peter Aitken

Every try to swallow medication with a bit of apple or carrot? It does not
go down the same as with squeezed juice.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Tesoro

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Tesoro" > wrote in message
> > Why are you getting rid of the nutritious part and drinking the high
> > glycemic part? If you must drink juice, drink whole juice. Should've

> bought
> > a Vita-Mix, which makes juice using the whole fruit or vegetable without
> > wasting anything.
> >

> Even the bitter tasting peels? That is why I don't care for most

commercial
> OJ as they squeeze so hard the bitter oils get into the juice. I love

fresh
> squeezed, but I add the pulp also.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

No, you would peel any fruit that is normally peeled before using the
Vita-Mix.

Fuzzy

Thanks to ALL who contributed especially Joy (most informative), Julia and
SportKite.
The information you supplied will be used in time hopefully.
Much appreciated. :-)

In rec.food.cooking notbob > wrote:
> On 2004-04-27, Fuzzy > wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.

> Yep. Toss the juicer, eat the fruit/veggies whole, get health/nutrition
> benefits of juice and pulp/fiber at same time.

That was my first thought. I don't understand these juicers for
"health".

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking Fuzzy > wrote:
> Your opinion is appreciated.
> That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
> But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?

Water will quench your thirst better than sugary fruit juice.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Kate Dicey

wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking Fuzzy > wrote:
> > Your opinion is appreciated.
> > That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
> > But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?

> Water will quench your thirst better than sugary fruit juice.

So you never drink wine, beer, coffee, fruit juice, the odd whiskey, or
an occasional cup of fragrant China tea just for the pure pleasure of
it? Thirst is not the only reason for drinking. And further up the
thread someone mentioned something to help pills go down... It's my
experience that some pills taste so vile that fruit juice is a far
better lubricant than water!

If you want a flavoured drink to accompany a meal, fruit juice is a much
healthier option than cola or something made with tons of artificial
colours, flavours and sweeteners.

Juicing is also a very good way to use up the slightly tired apples at
the bottom of the fruit basket, the carrots you can't take with you on
holiday and will spoil before you get home, and the celery yer auntie
won't eat because the fibres get stuck between her denture plate and her
gums...

Oh, and juicing stuff is fun! It's a great way to keep teenagers
occupied in a boring wet day, too, along with tie dying T-shirts in the
microwave, and making hovercraft out of sandwich boxes...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
blake murphy

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:40:19 +1000, "Fuzzy" >
wrote:

>Your opinion is appreciated.
>That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
>But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?
>Thanks all the same. :-)

i wouldn't be too keen on eating orange peel.

your pal,
anita

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2004-04-27, Fuzzy > wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.

>> Yep. Toss the juicer, eat the fruit/veggies whole, get health/nutrition
>> benefits of juice and pulp/fiber at same time.
>>
>> nb

blake murphy

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:39:28 -0400, "Tesoro" >
wrote:

>"Fuzzy" > wrote in message
u...
>> Hi all,
>> I recently bought a juicer (one of those spinning ones).
>> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, in using the pulp left over.
>> Suggestions on the froth left over (don't like drinking that) would be

>nice
>> to.
>> It would be good if you could use it in a recipe of some sort, instead of
>> composting it.
>> Help appreciated. :-)
>>

>Why are you getting rid of the nutritious part and drinking the high
>glycemic part? If you must drink juice, drink whole juice. Should've bought
>a Vita-Mix, which makes juice using the whole fruit or vegetable without
>wasting anything.

hope you at least wash the carrots. the saying goes 'you'll eat a
peck of dirt before you die,' but i wouldn't want to speed up the
process, or maybe eat 2 or 3 pecks.

your pal,
blake
Jack Schidt®

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message

> > In rec.food.cooking Fuzzy > wrote:
> > > Your opinion is appreciated.
> > > That is not exactly what I was after, but you do have a point.
> > > But what if I just want a drink, without the rest?

> > Water will quench your thirst better than sugary fruit juice.

> So you never drink wine, beer, coffee, fruit juice, the odd whiskey, or
> an occasional cup of fragrant China tea just for the pure pleasure of
> it? Thirst is not the only reason for drinking. And further up the
> thread someone mentioned something to help pills go down... It's my
> experience that some pills taste so vile that fruit juice is a far
> better lubricant than water!
>
> If you want a flavoured drink to accompany a meal, fruit juice is a much
> healthier option than cola or something made with tons of artificial
> colours, flavours and sweeteners.
>
> Juicing is also a very good way to use up the slightly tired apples at
> the bottom of the fruit basket, the carrots you can't take with you on
> holiday and will spoil before you get home, and the celery yer auntie
> won't eat because the fibres get stuck between her denture plate and her
> gums...
>
> Oh, and juicing stuff is fun! It's a great way to keep teenagers
> occupied in a boring wet day, too, along with tie dying T-shirts in the
> microwave, and making hovercraft out of sandwich boxes...
> --

Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same day.

Jack Combo

Kate Dicey

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same day.
>
> Jack Combo

And even at the same time! I sometimes juice the less pretty fruits to
use as the moistener for fruit salads...

Oh, and freshly whizzed juice from Bramleys makes great mayo!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

> Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same

day.

> Jack Combo

Yeah, but you have to be careful of wayward germs and getting sick. For
safety, it is wise to add some ethanol to purify the juices.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Joseph Littleshoes

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> >
> > Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same

> day.
> >
> > Jack Combo

> Yeah, but you have to be careful of wayward germs and getting sick. For
> safety, it is wise to add some ethanol to purify the juices.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I'll drink to that!
--
JL

Kate Dicey

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same

> > day.
> > >
> > > Jack Combo

> > Yeah, but you have to be careful of wayward germs and getting sick. For
> > safety, it is wise to add some ethanol to purify the juices.
> > Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

> I'll drink to that!
> --
> JL

Hic!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Jack Schidt®

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> >
> > Ya know, you can drink fruit juice AND eat whole fruit all in the same

> day.
> >
> > Jack Combo

> Yeah, but you have to be careful of wayward germs and getting sick. For
> safety, it is wise to add some ethanol to purify the juices.
> Ed

Or some rubbing alcohol, for that Kitty Dukakis eye-opener!

Jack Ford

juicing RichD General Cooking 55 06-03-2014 01:14 PM
The Wonders of Juicing Zaz General Cooking 2 12-07-2009 08:14 PM
What do with the carrot pulp (or ny other pulp) after juicing? mm General Cooking 22 27-02-2007 09:36 PM
Juicing vegetables Abby Vegetarian cooking 6 17-03-2006 02:22 PM