Sean Berger

Default looking for bread pudding recipe

I'm looking for a chocolate bread pudding recipe that ran in the SF
Chonicle Sunday magazine fifteen or so years ago-- bittersweet liquid
poured over cubed+piled sourdough (or possibly just french bread) on
the service plate and allowed to set for a long time to work in.
Served with fresh whipped cream. Oh, lordy, it was delicious...! Any
help? Thanks!
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Sean Berger wrote on 09 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I'm looking for a chocolate bread pudding recipe that ran in the
> SF Chonicle Sunday magazine fifteen or so years ago-- bittersweet
> liquid poured over cubed+piled sourdough (or possibly just french
> bread) on the service plate and allowed to set for a long time to
> work in. Served with fresh whipped cream. Oh, lordy, it was
> delicious...! Any help? Thanks!

Might be one of these.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Bread Pudding

Recipe By :Better Homes and Gardens
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 1/4 cups milk
5 eggs -- beaten
16 ounces chocolate syrup (1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 ounces French bread -- cut in 1" cubes
3 ounces semisweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped
3 ounces white chocolate or white baking bar -- coarsely
chopped
Bourbon Chocolate Sauce
4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl stir together
milk, eggs,
syrup, brown sugar and vanilla. Spread bread cubes in an ungreased 3
quart
baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped semisweet and white chocolate. Pour
egg
mixture evenly over bread. Bake, uncovered, for 50-55 minutes or until
pudding
is puffy and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly
(pudding
will fall in center). Drizzle with warm Bourbon Chocolate Sauce.
Bourbon
Chocolate Sauce: In a heavy saucepan stir semisweet chocolate over low
heat just
until melted. Stir in whipping cream and sugar. Cook and stir over
medium heat
for 5-6 minutes or just until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat;
whisk
until smooth. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons bourbon, if desired. Cool
slightly before
serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 278 Calories; 12g Fat (38.4%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
115mg Cholesterol; 188mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Bread Pudding

Recipe By :Jo Anne Merrill
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Chocolate Desserts

1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 1/2 ounces baking chocolate
2 tablespoons margarine
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
Whipped cream -- optional

Place in top of double boiler the 1-1/2 cups milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup
stale bread crumbs and 1-1/2 ounces chocolate. Cook over hot water
until smooth.

Stir in 2 tablespoons margarine.

Beat eggs until light; add salt, vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Whisk into
the chocolate mixture. Cook until thick.

Pour into a serving dish or to make a firmer pudding, pour into a
greased (with margarine) casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes at 350
degrees. Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts after cooking if you prefer. Chill
and serve with whipped cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 443 Calories; 19g Fat (36.1%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 65g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
123mg Cholesterol; 357mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve this cold with whipped cream.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chocolate Bread Pudding (England)

none

3 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
2 cup half-and-half
2 cup loosely packed soft white bread cru; mbs
2 jumbo eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

HEAT THE CHOCOLATE AND CREAM in a large saucepan over low heat for
12-15 minutes, stirring frequently until chocolate is completely
melted. Remove pan from the heat, stir in the crumbs, and let stand
for one hour. Preheat oven to 350F. Beat the eggs until frothy, blend
in the sugar, vanilla and salt, then mix the eggs into the chocolate.
Pour the pudding into a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole, set it in a
shallow baking pan, and pour enough hot water into the pan to come
half-way up the sides of the casserole. Bake the pudding uncovered
for 50 to 60 minutes until the pudding is set like custard. To test
it, insert a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, pudding
is done. Serve the pudding warm, topped with dollops of whipped
cream. Serves 6. > Submitted By (DAVID COCHRUN)
On 23 JUN 1995 071133 -0500

Yield: 6 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chocolate Bread Pudding With Spiced Cream

none

1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips; melted
1/4 cup grand marnier or other orange-flavo; red liqueur
2 cup half-and-half
8 slice day-old white bread; crusts removed and cut in
2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 spiced cream; see recipe

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Grease a 6-cup (9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4-inch) loaf pan with butter.

3. Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, melted chocolate
and
Grand Marnier together in a large mixing bowl until very smooth. Add
the
half-and-half and mix well. Add the bread and let the mixture sit for
30
minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top
with
the unmelted chocolate chips. Pour the remaining bread mixture over the
chocolate chips. Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 55
minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

5. To serve, cut the pudding into 1-inch-thick slices. Top with the
spiced
cream.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Busted by Barb on 2/20/98

Recipe by: Emeril Lagasse

Posted to MC-Recipe Digest by " > on Mar
22,
1998

Yield: 1 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chocolate Bread Pudding With Strawberry Sauce

none

1/3 lb chocolate, dark
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, superfine
4 eggs; seperated
1/4 lb butter, unsalted; cut in small pieces
3 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, white
1 tablespoon sugar, superfine
----STRAWBERRY SAUCE----
1 1/8 lb strawberries
2 tablespoon sugar, superfine
2 tablespoon brandy

Process the chocolate in a food processor until finely chopped. Bring
cream
just to simmering point in a saucepan. With the motor running, pour hot
cream over chopped chocolate and process until smooth. Add 1/4 cup
sugar,
egg yolks one at a time, butter, and vanilla essence and process until
combined. Combine breadcrumbs and chocolate mixture in a large bowl and
mix
well. Butter a round 20cm diameter cake tin or souffle dish and
sprinkle
with the extra caster sugar. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and glossy. Gently
fold
whites into the chocolate mizture until thoroughly combined. Spoon
mixture
into prepared tin and place in a baking pan. Pour in enough hot ater to
come halfway up the sides of the tin and bake at 180C for 45-50
minutes, or
until cooked when tested with a skewer. Leave in tin for 10 minutes
before
turning out on a serving platter. Serve warm or cold, with Strawberry
sauce. *** Strawberry Sauce *** Process 250g of the strawberries,
hulled,
with 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and the brandy until smooth and well
combined. Transfer to a small saucepan and cook over low heat until
just
simmering. Add the other 250g of hulled and chopped strawberies and
cook
gently until warmed through. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Yield: 8 servings

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Sean Berger

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:24:30 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:

>Might be one of these.
>
>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chocolate Bread Pudding
>Chocolate Bread Pudding (England)
>Chocolate Bread Pudding With Spiced Cream
>Chocolate Bread Pudding With Strawberry Sauce

Well, no... but--
1) dang that was fast . . . thanks!
2) if I can't find the original, playing with these should give me
fodder to create a close image...
Joseph Littleshoes

Sean Berger wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:24:30 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> > wrote:
>
> >Might be one of these.
> >
> >* Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Chocolate Bread Pudding
> >Chocolate Bread Pudding (England)
> >Chocolate Bread Pudding With Spiced Cream
> >Chocolate Bread Pudding With Strawberry Sauce

> Well, no... but--
> 1) dang that was fast . . . thanks!
> 2) if I can't find the original, playing with these should give me
> fodder to create a close image...

I hesitate to mention it cause it is not from the source you wanted,
but, i have an old family recipe for chocolate bread pudding from the
1930' that is served with a chocolate rum sauce. Let me know if you are
interested.

It is a bit simpler than that already posted, and, as with any chocolate
dish, the quality of the chocolate is, IMO, the determining factor.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Rick & Cyndi

"Joseph Littleshoes" <
> I hesitate to mention it cause it is not from the source you wanted,
> but, i have an old family recipe for chocolate bread pudding from the
> 1930' that is served with a chocolate rum sauce. Let me know if you are
> interested.
>
> It is a bit simpler than that already posted, and, as with any chocolate
> dish, the quality of the chocolate is, IMO, the determining factor.
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes
>======

Joseph, will you please post it? It sounds so wonderful...

Cyndi CravinChocolate

Joseph Littleshoes

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" <
> > I hesitate to mention it cause it is not from the source you wanted,

> > but, i have an old family recipe for chocolate bread pudding from

> the
> > 1930' that is served with a chocolate rum sauce. Let me know if you

> are
> > interested.
> >
> > It is a bit simpler than that already posted, and, as with any

> chocolate
> > dish, the quality of the chocolate is, IMO, the determining factor.
> > ---
> > Joseph Littleshoes
> >======

> Joseph, will you please post it? It sounds so wonderful...
>
> Cyndi CravinChocolate

The recipe is on my desk waiting to be transcribed, its 4:37 in the a.m.
and i think i will wait till later today to do so.
---
Joseph (when Broadway babies say good night its early in the morning)
Littleshoes

Rick & Cyndi

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Rick & Cyndi wrote:
>
>> "Joseph Littleshoes" <
>> > I hesitate to mention it cause it is not from the source you wanted,

>> > but, i have an old family recipe for chocolate bread pudding from

>> the
>> > 1930' that is served with a chocolate rum sauce. Let me know if you

>> are
>> > interested.
>> >
>> > It is a bit simpler than that already posted, and, as with any

>> chocolate
>> > dish, the quality of the chocolate is, IMO, the determining factor.
>> > ---
>> > Joseph Littleshoes
>> >======

>> Joseph, will you please post it? It sounds so wonderful...
>>
>> Cyndi CravinChocolate

> The recipe is on my desk waiting to be transcribed, its 4:37 in the a.m.
> and i think i will wait till later today to do so.
> ---
> Joseph

=======

Thank you in advance!!!

Cyndi

Sean Berger

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:44:30 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:
>
>Thank you in advance!!!

And from me as well!
Joseph Littleshoes

Here you go Cyndi. It is from a collection of recipes and notes
relatives compiled for a catering business they ran from the late 1920'
through the early 1950'. Which were going to be tossed and i asked for
them and have enjoyed not only the recipes but it is amazing to look
back at costs of the period. One of their specialities was a complete
dinner for 50 or more people that there cost was 50 cents per person.

Rum sauce recipe follows but the bread pudding is good with ice cream,
whipped cream or a simple chocolate or hot fudge sauce. A strawberry
sauce or chocolate whipped cream is good also.

Chocolate bread pudding
-----------------------------
1 & 1/4 pint milk

3 bread slices

1 tbs. butter

1 ounce bitter chocolate

4 ounce granulated sugar

3/4 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

butter for coating serving cups

Warm the milk. Butter the bread, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes and soak
in the warm milk. Melt the chocolate and add the sugar. Beat the egg
and add to the chocolate and sugar. Combine with the milk and bread.

Butter the baking dishes, fill and bake in a pan of water at 375 F until
set. About 1/2 hour.

As with any chocolate recipe the better the chocolate the better the
finished product.
------

Rum sauce
------------
butter 2 tbs.

sugar 2 & 1/2 cup

egg yolks 2

hot water 3 tbs.

rum 2 tbs.

egg whites 2

combine butter and sugar and cream together with a fork. Beat the egg
yolks till smooth ad add, then add hot water a few drops at a time add
the rum and mix will then, jut before serving add the beaten to soft
peak stage egg whites.

A good rum is a must, often times grain alcohol has a caramel colouring
added and is sold as "rum" Mount Joy is a good Jamaican rum.

Enjoy, and my apologies for not getting this out sooner.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Rick & Cyndi

*** TOP POSTING ***