Lynne A

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Recently I made a batch of cookies. Making one with "normal" ingredients,

> second batch where I substituted the white sugar with Splenda. The cookies
> with Splenda stayed the size as that they were when I placed them on the
> cookie sheet, round. They didn't flatten out like the "normal" cookies

did.

> I like the recipe and wondered how to incoporate the Splenda but still get

> normal looking cookie?
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> The Practical Bar B Q'r at,
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw
> www.bahai.org

I don't know that you can, Mike-at least I've never been able to achieve it.
The sugar melts and spreads, and the Splenda doesn't do that. You could try
making them with Diabetisweet, it melts and caramelizes like sugar does.

Lynne A

Piedmont

Default Splenda in cookie recipe..

Recently I made a batch of cookies. Making one with "normal" ingredients, a
second batch where I substituted the white sugar with Splenda. The cookies
with Splenda stayed the size as that they were when I placed them on the
cookie sheet, round. They didn't flatten out like the "normal" cookies did.

I like the recipe and wondered how to incoporate the Splenda but still get a
normal looking cookie?

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
The Practical Bar B Q'r at,
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw
www.bahai.org

The Joneses

Piedmont wrote:

> Recently I made a batch of cookies. Making one with "normal" ingredients, a
> second batch where I substituted the white sugar with Splenda. The cookies
> with Splenda stayed the size as that they were when I placed them on the
> cookie sheet, round. They didn't flatten out like the "normal" cookies did.
> I like the recipe and wondered how to incoporate the Splenda but still get a
> normal looking cookie?
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Have you tried looking at the Splenda website? Many recipes & FAQs there.
www.splenda.com
Edrena

Jean B.

Lynne A wrote:

> I don't know that you can, Mike-at least I've never been able to achieve it.
> The sugar melts and spreads, and the Splenda doesn't do that. You could try
> making them with Diabetisweet, it melts and caramelizes like sugar does.
>
> Lynne A

Would you please elaborate a bit on Diabetisweet's plusses and
minuses? Have you tried their brown "sugar" version? If so,
how is it? I was pleased to find it in the pharmacy section of
a local supermarket and am intrigued because it has the bulk that
Splenda lacks (after you measure it and mix it with the other
ingredients, that is).

--
Jean B.
itsjoannotjoann

Piedmont wrote:
> Recently I made a batch of cookies. Making one with "normal" ingredients, a
> second batch where I substituted the white sugar with Splenda. The cookies
> with Splenda stayed the size as that they were when I placed them on the
> cookie sheet, round. They didn't flatten out like the "normal" cookies did.
>
> I like the recipe and wondered how to incoporate the Splenda but still get a
> normal looking cookie?
>
> --

Did you use the regular Splenda or the Splenda For Baking? Although I
haven't used it in a cookie recipe, I did achieve excellent results in
a pumpkin roll.

Lynne A

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Lynne A wrote:
>
> > I don't know that you can, Mike-at least I've never been able to achieve

it.
> > The sugar melts and spreads, and the Splenda doesn't do that. You could

try
> > making them with Diabetisweet, it melts and caramelizes like sugar does.
> >
> > Lynne A
> >

> Would you please elaborate a bit on Diabetisweet's plusses and
> minuses? Have you tried their brown "sugar" version? If so,
> how is it? I was pleased to find it in the pharmacy section of
> a local supermarket and am intrigued because it has the bulk that
> Splenda lacks (after you measure it and mix it with the other
> ingredients, that is).
>
> --
> Jean B.

Jean, I have only used it a little, but from what I've seen so far, the only
minus is the cost. I made flan with it, and it tasted just like the real
thing, fabulous! As you say, it provides the necessary bulk, and I made a
proper caramel sauce with it for the flan that was really nice. I'm trying
to recall what else I used it for-haven't done any baking of any kind
lately. Oh, I used it for blueberry compote, and it thickened up just right
for that. A flourless chocolate cake, that's what else, I remember now<G>
It also seemed to turn out just as it should, but I hadn't made one with
sugar before to compare. It was nicely dense and gooey-ish, seemed to be
like it should. I haven't tried the brown sugar variety, haven't even seen
it in stores-I'll have to look for it.

Lynne A

Jean B.

Lynne A wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>
>>Lynne A wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know that you can, Mike-at least I've never been able to achieve

> it.
>
>>>The sugar melts and spreads, and the Splenda doesn't do that. You could

> try
>
>>>making them with Diabetisweet, it melts and caramelizes like sugar does.
>>>
>>>Lynne A

>>Would you please elaborate a bit on Diabetisweet's plusses and
>>minuses? Have you tried their brown "sugar" version? If so,
>>how is it? I was pleased to find it in the pharmacy section of
>>a local supermarket and am intrigued because it has the bulk that
>>Splenda lacks (after you measure it and mix it with the other
>>ingredients, that is).
>>
>>--
>>Jean B.

> Jean, I have only used it a little, but from what I've seen so far, the only
> minus is the cost. I made flan with it, and it tasted just like the real
> thing, fabulous! As you say, it provides the necessary bulk, and I made a
> proper caramel sauce with it for the flan that was really nice. I'm trying
> to recall what else I used it for-haven't done any baking of any kind
> lately. Oh, I used it for blueberry compote, and it thickened up just right
> for that. A flourless chocolate cake, that's what else, I remember now<G>
> It also seemed to turn out just as it should, but I hadn't made one with
> sugar before to compare. It was nicely dense and gooey-ish, seemed to be
> like it should. I haven't tried the brown sugar variety, haven't even seen
> it in stores-I'll have to look for it.
>
> Lynne A

Maybe I'll try it in a blueberry buckle--or some strawberry
recipe. Is it kinder to one's digestive system than maltitol and
lactitol are?

--
Jean B.
Lynne A

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Lynne A wrote:
>

> >>Would you please elaborate a bit on Diabetisweet's plusses and
> >>minuses? Have you tried their brown "sugar" version? If so,
> >>how is it? I was pleased to find it in the pharmacy section of
> >>a local supermarket and am intrigued because it has the bulk that
> >>Splenda lacks (after you measure it and mix it with the other
> >>ingredients, that is).
> >>
> >>--
> >>Jean B.

> > Jean, I have only used it a little, but from what I've seen so far, the

only
> > minus is the cost. I made flan with it, and it tasted just like the

real
> > thing, fabulous! As you say, it provides the necessary bulk, and I made

> > proper caramel sauce with it for the flan that was really nice. I'm

trying
> > to recall what else I used it for-haven't done any baking of any kind
> > lately. Oh, I used it for blueberry compote, and it thickened up just

right
> > for that. A flourless chocolate cake, that's what else, I remember

now<G>
> > It also seemed to turn out just as it should, but I hadn't made one with
> > sugar before to compare. It was nicely dense and gooey-ish, seemed to

be
> > like it should. I haven't tried the brown sugar variety, haven't even

seen
> > it in stores-I'll have to look for it.
> >
> > Lynne A
> >

> Maybe I'll try it in a blueberry buckle--or some strawberry
> recipe. Is it kinder to one's digestive system than maltitol and
> lactitol are?
>
> --
> Jean B.

It seems to be for me, Jean. No issues with it, and I do have problems with
a lot of the commercial low carb goods because of the SA's.

Lynne A

Jean B.

Lynne A wrote:

>>>Jean, I have only used it a little, but from what I've seen so far, the

> only
>
>>>minus is the cost. I made flan with it, and it tasted just like the

> real
>
>>>thing, fabulous! As you say, it provides the necessary bulk, and I made

>>>proper caramel sauce with it for the flan that was really nice. I'm

> trying
>
>>>to recall what else I used it for-haven't done any baking of any kind
>>>lately. Oh, I used it for blueberry compote, and it thickened up just

> right
>
>>>for that. A flourless chocolate cake, that's what else, I remember

> now<G>
>
>>>It also seemed to turn out just as it should, but I hadn't made one with
>>>sugar before to compare. It was nicely dense and gooey-ish, seemed to

> be
>
>>>like it should. I haven't tried the brown sugar variety, haven't even

> seen
>
>>>it in stores-I'll have to look for it.
>>>
>>>Lynne A

>>Maybe I'll try it in a blueberry buckle--or some strawberry
>>recipe. Is it kinder to one's digestive system than maltitol and
>>lactitol are?
>>
>>--
>>Jean B.

> It seems to be for me, Jean. No issues with it, and I do have problems with
> a lot of the commercial low carb goods because of the SA's.
>
> Lynne A

Sorry for the late reply. I had a computer catastrophe....

Anyway, that is why I don't even try most of the products that have come
onto the market. I don't know why they have to contain problematic SAs
or hydrogenated oils or other turn-offs.

Jean B.
LynneA

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> Sorry for the late reply. I had a computer catastrophe....
>
> Anyway, that is why I don't even try most of the products that have come
> onto the market. I don't know why they have to contain problematic SAs or
> hydrogenated oils or other turn-offs.
>
> Jean B.

No problem Jean, I've been in and out myself lately. Sorry to hear about
the computer troubles, I had to reformat last weekend myself.

It's pure profitability, I'm sure-they use whatever's cheap and to hell with
the consumer's health. JMHO, of course!

Lynne A