Storing Cornbread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:08 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default Storing Cornbread

I have an airtight plastic bread box. Storing cornbread in it causes
mold in 2 or 3 days. What should I store cornbread in?

Old 05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
AlleyGator
Usenet poster

" wrote:

I have an airtight plastic bread box. Storing cornbread in it causes
mold in 2 or 3 days. What should I store cornbread in?

Never found a way to keep it long without slicing and freezing - and
that's really a waste of time, because it doesn't taste right to me.
And it's probably easier to just make another batch than go through
all that. Usually, there aren't any leftovers here, but when there
are, I eat some with milk, sugar and cinnamon for breakfast and the
rest goes to the birds - they seem to appreciate it.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:08 AM
-L.
Usenet poster

Kate Gilbert wrote:
Hi L.
I had to tell you. You are the first person I have ever heard that
loved left over bread as much as my husband. One of his favorite ways to
eat it is , to slice it into pieces , then slice through it making two
pieces. Put a little butter or oil into a skillet . When its very hot.
Brown, the crumb side down. Turn when its brown, and fry the crust side
few seconds. Great with syrup or with scrambled eggs and country gravy
All you need is a fresh glass of orange juice. He has loved milk and
bread , since a little boy, too.

IMO, cornbread seved this way is so much tastier than pancakes or
waffles. It's really filling though - and so good it's easty to
overindulge. I just cut it into squares, split them, spread on some
butter and nuke for 10 seconds or so - Top with warmed syrup. Really
good with bacon or sausgae if you like those things.

Ok, now I have to go make some cornbread, LOL...

-L.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Kate Gilbert
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 05 Jun 2005 04:55:16p, Kate Gilbert wrote in rec.food.cooking:

-L. wrote:

wrote:

I have an airtight plastic bread box. Storing cornbread in it causes
mold in 2 or 3 days. What should I store cornbread in?

I cut mine into servings, and wrap each in foil and stick it in the
fridge - reheat in the oven within a couple days. I LOVE old cornbread
nuked with butter and maple syrup...yum! Probably one of my favorite
breakfasts.

-L.

Hi L.
I had to tell you. You are the first person I have ever heard that
loved left over bread as much as my husband. One of his favorite ways to
eat it is , to slice it into pieces , then slice through it making two
pieces. Put a little butter or oil into a skillet . When its very hot.
Brown, the crumb side down. Turn when its brown, and fry the crust side
few seconds. Great with syrup or with scrambled eggs and country gravy
All you need is a fresh glass of orange juice. He has loved milk and
bread , since a little boy, too.

That sounds delicious, and I will try it the next time I have some
leftover!

I often eat the leftovers as my grandfather and father did, crumbled into a
tall glass, then filled with buttermilk. Eat with a spoon.

Oh my ! Now you did it ..... Talk about good memories. Nice cold glass
of fresh churned buttermilk , big hot pan of cornbread and fresh butter
from that same churning. Now, to us that's food. Kate
Old 06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

-L. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Indeed it is, Kate. Are you any chance from MS?

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Kate Gilbert
Usenet poster

-L. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, I was raised in the hills of Virginia. Still love the foods I grew
up eating. An old Indian, once told me to eat as I was raised and I'd
be happier and healthier. Don't know how true that is, but I can't fault
him for the advice. Kate
Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

-L. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Virgina is about the only southern state I don't have relatives in. :-)
Most of mine are in MS, AL, and GA. I have to agree with the old Indian.
I'm never happier than when I'm eating foods like my mom prepared.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Cornbread Quantity Question Jeff K General Cooking 11 23-12-2004 03:51 PM
Turkey Stuffing CM General Cooking 18 08-11-2003 11:48 PM
Cornbread Oven Stuffing (3) Collection luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 01:29 PM
Kettle Cousin Cornbread Stuffing [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 01:26 PM
Cracklin Cornbread (2) Collection A1 WBarfieldsr Recipes (moderated) 0 12-10-2003 01:10 PM