richard green

Default Cling-stone peaches.

Guests for lunch tomorrow, so I poached some pears tonight in a light sugar
syrup with cinnamon and black pepper. The peaches will be served with
coconut icecream.
Problem is - they were cling-stone peaches, and they turned out to be
cling - skin as well - even after 20 minutes of slow poaching.
Has this been anyone elses's experience, and dloes anyone have any solution?

Richard.

PENMART01

> "richard green"
>
>Guests for lunch tomorrow, so I poached some pears tonight in a light sugar
>syrup with cinnamon and black pepper. The peaches will be served with
>coconut icecream.
>Problem is - they were cling-stone peaches, and they turned out to be
>cling - skin as well - even after 20 minutes of slow poaching.
>Has this been anyone elses's experience, and dloes anyone have any solution?

You cooked the fruit way too long... the trick to removing the skin is to
submerge fruit in boiling water for only a few seconds, so that the skin will
loosen *before* the flesh cooks. Also you'd have a much better chance of
pitting cling peaches while the flesh is still firm, in fact slightly underipe
frits will be more likely to give up their pits. Btw, peach with coconut is an
awful combination, you couldn't have chosen worse had you tried, those flavors
clash like a total wreck. Peaches go with vanilla, or honey vanilla ice cream.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

limey

"richard green" wrote in message

> Guests for lunch tomorrow, so I poached some pears tonight in a light

sugar
> syrup with cinnamon and black pepper. The peaches will be served with
> coconut icecream.
> Problem is - they were cling-stone peaches, and they turned out to be
> cling - skin as well - even after 20 minutes of slow poaching.
> Has this been anyone elses's experience, and dloes anyone have any

solution?

> Richard.

Next time, make sure you buy free-stone peaches and you won't have any
problem removing the pits with your fingers. Sheldon's correct about the
easy way to remove the skins, as well as the way to remove the pits of cling
peaches.

Dora

richard green

Tks for the tip. Now that I think about it, after cooking, the skin on the
peaches did look like it was more firmly adhered to the fruit underneath.
As for the peach coconut combo - thought I might be able to get away with it
with the added spice of the cinnamon and pepper.
Actually, its all I had on hand for a relatively impromptu lunch. My pals
are not foodies and will be happy as long as it's sweet. :-)