Leslie M.

Default shrimp and grits side dish?

I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having so much fun
with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and grits for my parents this
weekend. What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along with
it?

Thanks!
Leslie

projectile vomit chick

"Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message
> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having so much fun
> with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and grits for my parents this
> weekend. What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along with
> it?

A big bucket of gruel and a warm can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Enjoy.

John Gaughan

Leslie M. wrote:
> What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along with
> it?

Coleslaw.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

JLove98905

Howsabout some okra? or fried green tomatoes?

-jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Doug Cutler

Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
season here in the Good Olde South.
Doug

"Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message
> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having so much fun
> with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and grits for my parents this
> weekend. What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along with
> it?
>
> Thanks!
> Leslie

Nancy Young

Doug Cutler wrote:

> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
> season here in the Good Olde South.

Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.

nancy
Nancy Young

Dog3 wrote:

> Nancy Young > seeing her/his name in stars

> > Doug Cutler wrote:
> >>
> >> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
> >> season here in the Good Olde South.

> > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.

> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some

I was thinking, just how friggin hot is it down there? No wonder I
have a picture of me nekkid in my birth state of Georgia.

nancy (do you have to cook chickens or do they just get roasted
in the sun?)
The Ranger

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
4...

:
> > Doug Cutler wrote:
> >> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming
> >> into season here in the Good Olde South.

> > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.
> >

> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
> Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the shrimp
> and grits.

*NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about ruining a good batch
of shrimp?

Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly simmer some greens
drizzled with bacon fat, serve everything next to a slab of cornbread with
fresh-whipped honey-butter, and round it all off with a glass of sun-brew
tea (not sweet tea!) and you're good t' go!

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."

Peter Aitken

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
> 4...
> > Nancy Young > seeing her/his name in stars

wrote
> :
> > >
> > > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.
> > >

> > I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
> > Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the shrimp
> > and grits.

> *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about ruining a good

batch
> of shrimp?
>
> Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly simmer some greens
> drizzled with bacon fat, serve everything next to a slab of cornbread with
> fresh-whipped honey-butter, and round it all off with a glass of sun-brew
> tea (not sweet tea!) and you're good t' go!
>
> The Ranger
> --
> "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."

I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones. Plain they
are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some pepper, they can be
great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is just the
southern style of polenta.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Doug Cutler wrote:
> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming
> into season here in the Good Olde South.
> Doug

I'd have to agree with that

Jill
> "Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message
>> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having so much
>> fun with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and grits for my
>> parents this weekend. What kind of side dish would you all
>> recommend to go along with it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Leslie

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
>> 4...
>>> Nancy Young > seeing her/his name in stars

> wrote
>> :

>>> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
>>> Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the shrimp
>>> and grits.

>> *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about ruining a
>> good batch of shrimp?
>>
>> Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly simmer some
>> greens drizzled with bacon fat, serve everything next to a slab of
>> cornbread with fresh-whipped honey-butter, and round it all off with
>> a glass of sun-brew tea (not sweet tea!) and you're good t' go!
>>
>> The Ranger
>> --
>> "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."
>>

> I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones. Plain
> they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some pepper, they
> can be great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is
> just the southern style of polenta.

Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them; and
even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and sliced like
polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.

Jill

Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Peter Aitken wrote:

<snipped>

> > I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones. Plain
> > they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some pepper, they
> > can be great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is
> > just the southern style of polenta.

> Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them; and
> even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and sliced

like
> polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.
>
> Jill

I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Peter Aitken wrote:

> <snipped>
>
>>> I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones.
>>> Plain they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some
>>> pepper, they can be great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp.
>>> Remember, grits is just the southern style of polenta.

>> Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them;
>> and even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and
>> sliced like polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing*
>> shrimp with grits.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

Nothing wrong with that if the grits are properly prepared/seasoned. I
never see anyone complaining (much) about polenta.

Jill

The Ranger

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> > *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
> > ruining a good batch of shrimp?
> >

> LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

<gasp!> Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the same sentence with
that granular Kindergarten Glop is heresy! They used to dunk people (or
worse) for espousing such views...

ObBeet Recipe:
From: http://www.hugs.org/Baby_Beets_with_Ginger.shtml

Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
Title: Baby Beets with Ginger
Categories:
Yield: 4 Servings

1 1/2 lb Baby beets; peeled and trimmed
1 Sprig fresh Italian parsley
1 Sprig fresh thyme or lemon or lemon thyme
3 2" strips orange peel
1/4 c Plus (see next ingredient)
1 ts Red wine vinegar
1/4 c Sugar
3 tb Coarsely chpd. crystallized ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
2 c Water

Cut larger beets in half, so all are of uniform size.

Tie the thyme, parsley, and orange peel together
with a string or in a piece of cheesecloth to make
a bouquet garni.

In a medium sized saucepan, place the beets, 2
cups water, 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar, bouquet garni,
and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce
heat and simmer until beets are tender, about 1
hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the bouquet
garni and discard. Remove the beets with a slotted
spoon to a serving dish, leaving the sauce in the
pan. Add the remaining vinegar to the pan to
deglaze it, scraping down the sides. Taste and
adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon the
sauce over the beets and serve immediately.

The Ranger

Glenn Jacobs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:38:47 GMT, Doug Cutler wrote:

> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
> season here in the Good Olde South.
> Doug
>
> "Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message
>> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having so much fun
>> with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and grits for my parents this
>> weekend. What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along with
>> it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Leslie

Tell me about roasting asperagus, sounds interesting.

JakeInHartsel

The Ranger

Glenn Jacobs > asked in message
.. .
[snip]
> Tell me about roasting asperagus, sounds interesting.

Roasted Asparagus

INGREDIENTS:
4 lb. fresh asparagus, snapped
3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh-ground pepper
1/4 cup almond slivers or sesame seeds

METHOD:
Arrange asparagus in Pyrex casserole dish in a single layer. Lightly
drizzle VOO over; sprinkle with salt and garlic pieces, grind pepper over
all. Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes. Turn at about minute 7. Finish dish with
almond slivers or sesame seeds. Serve.

The Ranger
--
"I can't wait 'til I'm a teenager! Then you won't be able to order me
around!"

Barry Grau

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message .com>...
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Peter Aitken wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> > > I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones. Plain
> > > they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some pepper, they
> > > can be great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is
> > > just the southern style of polenta.

> > Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them; and
> > even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and sliced

> like
> > polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

Shrimp served on a bed of grits was a Bill Neal signature dish. Neal
authored a number of "southern" cookbooks, including "Bill Neal's
Southern Cooking" and "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie." He
was also the proprietor of "Crook's Corner," a respected restaurant
in, I beleive Carrboro, NC (a suburb of Chapel Hill). I was lucky
enough to have eaten there a couple times before Neal died.

-bwg
Peter Aitken

"Barry Grau" > wrote in message
om...
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

.com>...
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > > Peter Aitken wrote:

> > <snipped>

Plain

> > > Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them;

and
> > > even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and

sliced
> > like
> > > polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with

grits.

> > > Jill
> > >

> > I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

> Shrimp served on a bed of grits was a Bill Neal signature dish. Neal
> authored a number of "southern" cookbooks, including "Bill Neal's
> Southern Cooking" and "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie." He
> was also the proprietor of "Crook's Corner," a respected restaurant
> in, I beleive Carrboro, NC (a suburb of Chapel Hill). I was lucky
> enough to have eaten there a couple times before Neal died.
>
> -bwg

And that's in fact where I first had shrimp and grits (I live in Chapel
Hill, next door). I am surprised to hear that Neil died. Do you know any
details?

--
Peter Aitken

Leslie M.

"Doug Cutler" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
> season here in the Good Olde South.
> Doug
>
> I roasted asparagus as a side dish to the shrimp and grits. Was

delicious. Thanks for the idea.

Leslie

T E

here you go
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/side/side19.html

Barry Grau

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Barry Grau" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

> .com>...
> > > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > > . ..
> > >
> > > <snipped>

> Plain

> and

> sliced
> like

> grits.

> > > I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

> > Shrimp served on a bed of grits was a Bill Neal signature dish. Neal
> > authored a number of "southern" cookbooks, including "Bill Neal's
> > Southern Cooking" and "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie." He
> > was also the proprietor of "Crook's Corner," a respected restaurant
> > in, I beleive Carrboro, NC (a suburb of Chapel Hill). I was lucky
> > enough to have eaten there a couple times before Neal died.
> >
> > -bwg

> And that's in fact where I first had shrimp and grits (I live in Chapel
> Hill, next door). I am surprised to hear that Neil died. Do you know any
> details?

I'm sorry, I don't. I did find this touching appreciation of him, though.

<http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2003/07/009.shtml>

-bwg
telmgren

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> 4...
> > > *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
> > > ruining a good batch of shrimp?
> > >

> > LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

> <gasp!> Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the same sentence with
> that granular Kindergarten Glop is heresy! They used to dunk people (or
> worse) for espousing such views...

Hush up! Shrimp & Grits are awesome!

A.C.

> > > LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

> > <gasp!> Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the same sentence with
> > that granular Kindergarten Glop is heresy! They used to dunk people (or
> > worse) for espousing such views...

> Hush up! Shrimp & Grits are awesome!

i reckon its an aquired taste. i've loved grits all my life. they're really
a canvas waiting to be flavored. the best grits are the real kind. stone
ground yellow black speckled grits. they take atleast a half hour to cook
and have the most creamy texture. never eat instant grits, they're nasty.
quick grits are better if they're cooked longer. i've always thought of
grits as a savory dish but, lots of people eat them with brown sugar, honey
or whatever to make them into a sweet cereal

William Prien

I grew up in SE TX, and we always had grits for breakfast, served with
milk and maybe brown sugar or butter. My Mom never ade them the
"savory" way, nor did anyone else in my family. But the savory recipes
soumd really tasty, like the ones for baked garlic cheese grits,etc.

William

telmgren

"William Prien" > wrote in message
om...
> I grew up in SE TX, and we always had grits for breakfast, served with
> milk and maybe brown sugar or butter. My Mom never ade them the
> "savory" way, nor did anyone else in my family. But the savory recipes
> soumd really tasty, like the ones for baked garlic cheese grits,etc.

I like to serve the baked garlic cheese grits with barbeque. It seems to
make a nice balance to the tangy sauce.