shrimp and grits side dish?

Old 23-04-2004, 05:14 PM
The Ranger
Usenet poster

Default shrimp and grits side dish?

Glenn Jacobs asked in message
.. .
[snip]
Tell me about roasting asperagus, sounds interesting.

Roasted Asparagus

INGREDIENTS:
4 lb. fresh asparagus, snapped
3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh-ground pepper
1/4 cup almond slivers or sesame seeds

METHOD:
Arrange asparagus in Pyrex casserole dish in a single layer. Lightly
drizzle VOO over; sprinkle with salt and garlic pieces, grind pepper over
all. Bake at 400F for 12 minutes. Turn at about minute 7. Finish dish with
almond slivers or sesame seeds. Serve.

The Ranger
--
"I can't wait 'til I'm a teenager! Then you won't be able to order me
around!"

Old 23-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Barry Grau
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message .com...
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Aitken wrote:

snipped

I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good ones. Plain
they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese and some pepper, they
can be great, and a nice accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is
just the southern style of polenta.

Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added to them; and
even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or baked in a loaf and sliced

like
polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.

Jill

I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of the grits.

Shrimp served on a bed of grits was a Bill Neal signature dish. Neal
authored a number of "southern" cookbooks, including "Bill Neal's
Southern Cooking" and "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie." He
was also the proprietor of "Crook's Corner," a respected restaurant
in, I beleive Carrboro, NC (a suburb of Chapel Hill). I was lucky
enough to have eaten there a couple times before Neal died.

-bwg
Old 24-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Barry Grau" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Aitken" wrote in message

.com...
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Aitken wrote:

[...]

And that's in fact where I first had shrimp and grits (I live in Chapel
Hill, next door). I am surprised to hear that Neil died. Do you know any
details?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 24-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Leslie M.
Usenet poster

"Doug Cutler" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just coming into
season here in the Good Olde South.
Doug

I roasted asparagus as a side dish to the shrimp and grits. Was

delicious. Thanks for the idea.

Leslie

Old 24-04-2004, 02:13 AM
T E
Usenet poster

here you go
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/side/side19.html

Old 27-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Barry Grau
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message .com...
"Barry Grau" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Aitken" wrote in message

.com...
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Aitken wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, I don't. I did find this touching appreciation of him, though.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2003/07/009.shtml

-bwg
Old 01-05-2004, 12:11 AM
telmgren
Usenet poster

"The Ranger" wrote in message
Dog3 dognospam@adjfkdla;not wrote in message
4...
*NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
ruining a good batch of shrimp?

LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

gasp! Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the same sentence with
that granular Kindergarten Glop is heresy! They used to dunk people (or
worse) for espousing such views...

Hush up! Shrimp & Grits are awesome!

Old 01-05-2004, 07:58 PM
A.C.
Usenet poster

*NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
ruining a good batch of shrimp?

LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

gasp! Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the same sentence with
that granular Kindergarten Glop is heresy! They used to dunk people (or
worse) for espousing such views...

Hush up! Shrimp & Grits are awesome!

i reckon its an aquired taste. i've loved grits all my life. they're really
a canvas waiting to be flavored. the best grits are the real kind. stone
ground yellow black speckled grits. they take atleast a half hour to cook
and have the most creamy texture. never eat instant grits, they're nasty.
quick grits are better if they're cooked longer. i've always thought of
grits as a savory dish but, lots of people eat them with brown sugar, honey
or whatever to make them into a sweet cereal

Old 01-05-2004, 11:43 PM
William Prien
Usenet poster

I grew up in SE TX, and we always had grits for breakfast, served with
milk and maybe brown sugar or butter. My Mom never ade them the
"savory" way, nor did anyone else in my family. But the savory recipes
soumd really tasty, like the ones for baked garlic cheese grits,etc.

William

Old 02-05-2004, 02:20 PM
telmgren
Usenet poster

"William Prien" wrote in message
om...
I grew up in SE TX, and we always had grits for breakfast, served with
milk and maybe brown sugar or butter. My Mom never ade them the
"savory" way, nor did anyone else in my family. But the savory recipes
soumd really tasty, like the ones for baked garlic cheese grits,etc.

I like to serve the baked garlic cheese grits with barbeque. It seems to
make a nice balance to the tangy sauce.