Soybean Oil, where to find it

Old 02-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Larry G
Usenet poster

Default Soybean Oil, where to find it

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
built yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Old 02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Larry G
Usenet poster

"Larry G" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
"no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html

soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?

Sometimes I wish some of this commonly known info was more commonly known,
so I didn't feel like an idiot. :-|

Larry

Old 02-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Seth Goodman
Usenet poster

In article , on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700,
Larry G wrote:

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
built yet.

Soybean oil is extremely common - almost all oils labeled simply as
"vegetable oil" are actually soybean oil. Check labels at the
supermarket - the actual oil used will be in the ingredients list. Plain
Wesson, IIRC, is 100% soybean oil.

That said, I can't believe using any of the common highly refined oils
(canola, corn, peanut, etc.) would make much of a difference - they're
all almost tasteless.

--
Seth Goodman
Old 02-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Larry G" wrote in message
"Larry G" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
"no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html

soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?

Sometimes I wish some of this commonly known info was more commonly known,
so I didn't feel like an idiot. :-|

Larry

Soybean oil is a vegetable oil, but not all vegetable oils are soybean.
Check the ingredients list.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

I found 100% Soybean Oil on Ebay
Item number: 8191658097 Soybean Oil - 32oz. Bottle.. Good Luck....

Old 02-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Puester
Usenet poster

Larry G wrote:
Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
"no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What
about something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but
it's not built yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Most of the local markets carry soybean oil right next to the olive,
canola, corn and other oils. Wesson is one brand. Try another
grocery store.

gloria p
Old 02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Larry G wrote:
Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
"no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What
about something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but
it's not built yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

You just want refined vegetable oil. If it says "vegetable oil" on the
label instead of saying "corn oil" or "canola oil" or "peanut oil" or
whatever, it is almost certainly soybean oil. You can then verify by
looking at the tiny print on the back label where somewhere it will tell
you the oil content.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Steve Knight
Usenet poster

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700, "Larry G" wrote:

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

you mean your using the cheapest chicken you can find and your using flour and
MSG? that's about all there is to their chicken anymore.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old 02-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Larry G
Usenet poster

wrote:

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

you mean your using the cheapest chicken you can find and your using flour
and
MSG? that's about all there is to their chicken anymore.

That and some pepper I think. Whatever's in the recipe. If you have a better
recipe, have at it. I certainly welcome all ideas. I'd simply, like the
hamburger I told you about before, would like to try it for myself.

Larry

Old 03-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Elaine Parrish
Usenet poster

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Larry G wrote:

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
built yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Hey Larry,

"vegetable oil". One of the most common veggies for "vegetable oil"
soybean. The cheaper the oil, the more likely it is to be soybean.
Pretty much, soybean oil is whatever is not labeled Corn oil, Safflower
oil, or Canola oil in the oil section of the grocery store.

Elaine, too

Old 03-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Elaine Parrish
Usenet poster

Larry G wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I agree. I thought maybe the directions were making a distinction
between using oil instead of lard, which would be very different in taste,
and maybe even shortening, which "sets up" as it begins to cool.

I don't know when that recipe was first generated, but it hasn't been so
long ago that many restaurants commonly used lard. Mickey D's fries were
the best on the planet when they did. g

Elaine, too

Old 04-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Frogleg
Usenet poster

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:45:15 -0700, "Larry G"
wrote:

"Larry G" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
"no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html

soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?

It is, as your search turned up, one of the most commonly used veg
oils. However, there are other 'vegetable oils' that are also readily
available -- corn, cottonseed, peanut, olive, etc. Just check the
label and it will tell you. I just looked and one of my big bottles of
oil is labeled 'Vegetable Oil' and is soybean, while the peanut oil is
labeled 'peanut' and I think corn oil also is usually called that.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Szeyung Yu
Usenet poster

check your local Asian grocery. They might have it.