What to do with leftover chicken and ribs?

Old 31-05-2005, 02:42 PM
todd
Usenet poster

Default What to do with leftover chicken and ribs?

Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Thanks!

-todd

Old 31-05-2005, 02:49 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

todd wrote:
Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

Yes.

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze.

Wouldn't be good.

I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the
best way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

You can freeze it as is and use it to make chicken pot pie with gravy (for
moisture) later, or creamed chicken, or treat it with a mop like bbq pulled
pork. Or use it later to make the chicken salad or chicken chili.

Old 31-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Thanks!

-todd

A local soup kitchen might be glad to have it.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 31-05-2005, 03:07 PM
kilikini
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Thanks!

You could always ship them to me! We're low on food this week. :~)

kili

Old 31-05-2005, 03:17 PM
The Cook
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote:

Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Thanks!

-todd

You could freeze the chicken in usable sized packages. Thaw and warm
and you are ready for dinner. Same for the ribs.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 31-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Dog3
Usenet poster

"kilikini" wrote in
:

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Thanks!

You could always ship them to me! We're low on food this week. :~)

kili

I get dibs on the ribs. Chicken salad sounds good. I'd plan a party and
have the neighbors over. I'd do the ribs on the grill, have chicken salad
(mini sandwiches) and the side dishes. Baked beans, slaw and maybe whip up
a potato salad. Oh, grilled corn on the cob is a must. Dessert is up in the
air but I might actually dig the ice cream maker from the deep freeze. All
simple and easy. Gawd, what would I do with *those* leftovers

Michael
Old 31-05-2005, 04:43 PM
George
Usenet poster

todd wrote:
Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

I need something I can make that I can freeze.

Can I freeze cooked ribs as is?

What about all that chicken? ...not sure if chicken salad would
freeze. I considered a big pot of chicken chili, but the chicken is
actually rather bland and dry at this point so I'm not sure of the best
way to use the meat and make sure it doesn't dry out further.

I have made chicken chili a number of times with excess BBQ chicken. It
definitely won't dry out and chili freezes well.

Old 31-05-2005, 07:40 PM
todd
Usenet poster

Thanks - I have a batch of chicken chili in the crock pot and container
of chicken salad in the fridge. If the chili is good (tasted good
cold!) I may try a batch of white chili or something with the rest of
it.

Not sure about the ribs, yet, but I think the idea of inviting the
neighbors over for a feast is the best. I may freeze some, but I'm not
sure how long the ribs would last frozen...too hard to wrap up tightly
to get rid of the air pockets. Hmmmmmmmmm....just had a thought, I
could slather them in lots of BBQ sauce and they'd probably all freeze
great! (a zip lock bag full of sauce and ribs...minimal air exposure,
ready to reheat on the grill).

-todd

Old 31-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Chris
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure about the ribs, yet, but I think the idea of inviting the
neighbors over for a feast is the best. I may freeze some, but I'm
not
sure how long the ribs would last frozen...too hard to wrap up tightly
to get rid of the air pockets. Hmmmmmmmmm....just had a thought, I
could slather them in lots of BBQ sauce and they'd probably all freeze
great! (a zip lock bag full of sauce and ribs...minimal air exposure,
ready to reheat on the grill).

-todd

We slathered and froze our last batch of leftover ribs. We haven't
eaten them yet, but what I'm thinking is that I'll thaw them overnight,
put them in the oven in a tightly covered pan on low just to heat them
through, and then pop them on the grill for a few minutes.

I've got leftover rare flank steak and pork tenderloin from this
weekend....too much to eat in the next few days. Can I freeze the flank
steak in any fashion? I could make some chili to freeze (pork and
beef), and we could just OD on the steak this week...sandwiches on
baguettes with herbed goat cheese, etc. one night, stir fry another
night, fajita/burrito type things another...but if anybody has a better
idea (and you usually do!), I would love to hear it!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 AM
dwacon
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, just had a big catered party and I now have a pile of plain BBQ
chicken breasts and ribs. (a full banquet container of each). I know I
can make sandwiches or salads out of the chicken and the ribs are good
heated up on the grill, but I have too much to eat before it goes bad.

Theoretically, you could freeze as is (I would use the double-layer freezer
bags) and thaw in the Mwave... but YMMV...

But for the chicken, I would strip the breasts by hand and layer on a nice
hearty bread slathered with soft brie and mayo... and add some capers to the
sammich. Yum!

--
Pater Familias
http://www.cafepress.com/dwacon/493315

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0522-5, 05/31/2005
Tested on: 5/31/2005 9:40:55 PM

Old 02-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Chris
Usenet poster

"Chris" wrote in message

I've got leftover rare flank steak and pork tenderloin from this
weekend....too much to eat in the next few days. Can I freeze the
flank steak in any fashion? I could make some chili to freeze (pork
and beef), and we could just OD on the steak this week...sandwiches on
baguettes with herbed goat cheese, etc. one night, stir fry another
night, fajita/burrito type things another...but if anybody has a
better idea (and you usually do!), I would love to hear it!

I ended up making non-authentic
beans-and-tomatoes-so-go-ahead-and-shoot-me chili with the leftover
flank steak and pork tenderloin.

Sauteed some chopped onion, added spices (commercial chili powder,
cumin, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, dried ground chipotle, a little
cinnamon, some paprika) and a 1/2 a can of petite dice tomatoes in juice
(I love the petite diced tomatoes!). Simmered that a while, then added
the steak and pork (chopped up), plus a can of drained and rinsed black
beans. Simmered a while longer....and it was quite good! The meat
stayed nice and tender. Both the steak and the pork had been rubbed
with various spice rubs, but they blended well w/ the other spices, and
it ended up being a very tasty meal.

Chris

Old 02-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Food For Thought
Usenet poster

Any thoughts so I don't waste the good food?

Have another party!