Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Looking for good whole grain bread recipe

My wife and I have been doing the Weight Watchers Core Plan.
We really like the switch to high fiber food, but one thing we miss is
fresh baked bread.

My wife only really made white bread from scratch.

Anyone have a recipe for hearty whole grain bread?
Curly Sue

On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:28:58 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>There are many recipes. I don't have one that I'm sure will hit your
>approval on "health" and taste. Bread has calories...so while it is
>good, I do opened faced sandwiches more than when I was younger.
>For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
>wheat berries)

Any recommendations about grinders? Size... type... brand? Do most
health food stores carry winter wheat berries?

I'm kind of interested in this although I'd probably still use a bread
machine :>

Sue(tm)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, kalanamak
> wrote:

> For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
> wheat berries)

> blacksalt

Show off. :-Q
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Curly Sue

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, kalanamak
> wrote:
>
>> For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
>> wheat berries)

>> blacksalt

>Show off. :-Q
>--

Hmmm, do you think by "my own" she means that she grows and harvests
them? :>

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:00:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

(Curly Sue) wrote:

>> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >Show off. :-Q
>> >--

>> Hmmm, do you think by "my own" she means that she grows and harvests
>> them? :>
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>We'd have to smack her for sure, Sue, if that's the case. :-) Might
>even make the trip west just for the purpose.
>--
>-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
>"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

You can take the girl out of Kansas...

Anyway, be careful if you go, she might hand you a scythe and put you
to work!

Sue(tm)
kalanamak

Curly Sue wrote:

> You can take the girl out of Kansas...
>
> Anyway, be careful if you go, she might hand you a scythe and put you
> to work!

I do know someone who hand harvests his own wheat. Anything from him is
a treat....fresh lima beans, yum, but I get my winter wheat from the
only NON-"we used to be an old hippy co-op but now we have huge amounts
of prepakaged yuppyfood for berky-wearers" store left in Seattle that
*I* can find..."The Grainery" just NW of the airport. They get it from
Canada.
Once you have the tool, grinding grain is not that big of a hassle, but
the nutty taste of non-rancid/stale WW flour is lovely.
blacksalt
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

>You probably know this, but unless you are planning on using your flex
>points, bread isn't core,

Yeah, I know. But more fiber means lower point value. Plus, we miss
making bread. So if we're going to make it, we want it as close to
Core as possible.

Emil

www.kingarthurflour.com
They make a good White Whole Wheat that makes a less dense whole wheat
bread.

--
Emil Luca

> wrote in message
>
>>You probably know this, but unless you are planning on using your flex
>>points, bread isn't core,

> Yeah, I know. But more fiber means lower point value. Plus, we miss
> making bread. So if we're going to make it, we want it as close to
> Core as possible.

kalanamak

Emil wrote:
> www.kingarthurflour.com
> They make a good White Whole Wheat that makes a less dense whole wheat
> bread.

FYI, google about this on groups: a fair number of people consider this
nasty flour giving a substandard taste.
blacksalt

Whole Grain Pasta vs. Whole Grain Bread JanetPelle General Cooking 6 28-04-2013 05:58 AM
Ping: Boron, multi grain bread recipe. ImStillMags General Cooking 3 07-11-2010 01:33 AM
Looking for a good grain mill [email protected] General Cooking 4 22-05-2009 11:01 PM
Whole grain bread Diane M Baking 1 12-07-2006 11:12 PM
Irish Soda Bread - Looking for a good recipe Dee Randall General Cooking 18 16-03-2006 05:37 AM