Damsel

Default Best Cut for Lamb Kabobs?

Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in awhile
back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever tried lamb
before, and we haven't had any since.

What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
about lamb, so be kind.

Thanks,
Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 29 May 2005 07:48:26p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in awhile
> back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever tried lamb
> before, and we haven't had any since.
>
> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
> about lamb, so be kind.
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best choice
is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be cut into 1 to
1½ inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as 48 hours for best
results.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel

Wayne Boatwright > said:

>Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best choice
>is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be cut into 1 to
>1½ inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as 48 hours for best
>results.

Bless your pea-pickin' heart, Wayne.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Lynn from Fargo

Wayne's right - leg. All I use on lamb is olive oil, smashed garlic,
grated onion, lemon juice and (a little) salt.

Lynn from Fargo
Experimenting on Wednesday with filet of pork and Melba's Cherry Jam
(and lime juice & chipotle.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best cho =

ice
> is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be cut into 1=

> 1? inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as 48 hours for best
> results.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 29 May 2005 11:54:08p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > said:
>
>>Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best
>>choice is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be
>>cut into 1 to 1½ inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as
>>48 hours for best results.

> Bless your pea-pickin' heart, Wayne.

You're welcome, dear.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Sarah

oups.com...

=======================================

> Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best cho ice
> is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be cut into 1 to
> 1? inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as 48 hours for best
> results.

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Carol, I was watching Tamsin Day Lewis on TV yesterday making lamb kebabs,
(Kabobs) they looked delicious! Here's the link to the recipe (there's also a
picture of them)
http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/...D/512135.shtml
I've always made lamb kebabs with diced leg of lamb, but boned lamb chops work
great, as the high fat content keeps the meat juicy.

Sarah

Damsel

"Lynn from Fargo" > said:

>Wayne's right - leg. All I use on lamb is olive oil, smashed garlic,
>grated onion, lemon juice and (a little) salt.

From the woman herself! Thanks!

>Lynn from Fargo
>Experimenting on Wednesday with filet of pork and Melba's Cherry Jam
>(and lime juice & chipotle.

I've gotta try a jar of that jam. Problem is, I'd probably eat the whole
jar with a spoon. Saves on carbs, ya know. Skipping the bread.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Damsel

"Sarah" > said:

>Carol, I was watching Tamsin Day Lewis on TV yesterday making lamb kebabs,
>(Kabobs) they looked delicious! Here's the link to the recipe (there's also a
>picture of them)
>http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/...D/512135.shtml
>I've always made lamb kebabs with diced leg of lamb, but boned lamb chops work
>great, as the high fat content keeps the meat juicy.

Thanks, Sarah!

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Andy

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Wayne's right - leg. All I use on lamb is olive oil, smashed garlic,
> grated onion, lemon juice and (a little) salt.
>
> Lynn from Fargo
> Experimenting on Wednesday with filet of pork and Melba's Cherry Jam
> (and lime juice & chipotle.

Wayne's right leg???
kilikini

"Andy" > wrote in message
6...
> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > Wayne's right - leg. All I use on lamb is olive oil, smashed garlic,
> > grated onion, lemon juice and (a little) salt.
> >
> > Lynn from Fargo
> > Experimenting on Wednesday with filet of pork and Melba's Cherry Jam
> > (and lime juice & chipotle.

> Wayne's right leg???

You are so bad! :-D

kili

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 29 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in
> awhile back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever
> tried lamb before, and we haven't had any since.
>
> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely
> nothing about lamb, so be kind.
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

The shoulder would work. Shoulder roasts are way cheaper and take to a
marinade well. I use shoulder roasts for stir frys as well as roasts.
Just remove the excess fat. I could rarely have lamb, the ex hated the
smell of it cooking. So cook your first one outside...just in case.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Dave Smith

Damsel wrote:

> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in awhile
> back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever tried lamb
> before, and we haven't had any since.
>
> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
> about lamb, so be kind.

I made them last week with boneless leg. They were delicious. It is one
place on a lamb where you can get a decent sized chunck of lean meat without
a lot of fat and connective tissue. Those critters aren't very big, so
shoulder roast meat tends to be on the thin side. .

RR

Damsel > wrote:

>Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in awhile
>back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever tried lamb
>before, and we haven't had any since.
>What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
>about lamb, so be kind.
>
>Thanks,
>Carol

Leg, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
Garlic and rosemary were made to go with lamb ;-).
IMO, grass-fed lamb has far better flavour than grain-fed lamb so, if
you can find it, use locally raised grass-fed lamb. Australian
grass-fed lamb is also a good choice (my local Costco sells boneless
leg of Australian grass-fed lamb that is excellent).
Sprinkle a bit of rosemary on the coals while grilling.

Enjoy.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
jmcquown

RR wrote:
> Damsel > wrote:
>
>> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in
>> awhile back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever
>> tried lamb before, and we haven't had any since.
>> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely
>> nothing about lamb, so be kind.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carol

> Leg, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
> Garlic and rosemary were made to go with lamb ;-).

Damsel *hates* rosemary! I can't emphasize it more strongly. Okay, maybe I
can... she despises rosemary. She'd probably rather roast in Hell than eat
rosemary. Okay, maybe not that bad, but seriously, she wouldn't put
rosemary on it, trust me.

Jill

> IMO, grass-fed lamb has far better flavour than grain-fed lamb so, if
> you can find it, use locally raised grass-fed lamb. Australian
> grass-fed lamb is also a good choice (my local Costco sells boneless
> leg of Australian grass-fed lamb that is excellent).
> Sprinkle a bit of rosemary on the coals while grilling.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:54:08 -0500, Damsel > wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright > said:
>
>>Carol, the best cut to use for lamb kabobs is the leg; the next best choice
>>is the shoulder cuts with the fat removed. The cubes should be cut into 1 to
>>1½ inch cubes. Marinate the meat overnight to as long as 48 hours for best
>>results.

>Bless your pea-pickin' heart, Wayne.

I used this marinade for mine and it was GREAT:

Penzey's Greek Seasoning Mix
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Garlic

Whip that all up then toss it with the lamb to marinade. We loved it.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh

Frenchy

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in awhile
> back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever tried lamb
> before, and we haven't had any since.
>
> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
> about lamb, so be kind.
>
> Thanks,

If you can get access to a Gourmet Butcher they may have "Lamb Heart of
Rump" or the "Lamb Eye Fillets". These are the very best and no
fat/gristle/membrane.

And make sure it is New Zealand lamb, not that crap Aussie stuff <smile>

Frenchy

Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

> I could rarely have lamb, the ex hated the
>smell of it cooking. So cook your first one outside...just in case.

LOL! When we do, it'll definitely be outdoors, on the grill. Does it
really smell nasty when you cook it?

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Dave Smith

Damsel wrote:

> > I could rarely have lamb, the ex hated the
> >smell of it cooking. So cook your first one outside...just in case.

> LOL! When we do, it'll definitely be outdoors, on the grill. Does it
> really smell nasty when you cook it?

It's a funny thing about lamb. A lot of people hate it and a lot of us
love it. Some of those who hate it say they can't stand the smell of it
cooking. I love the smell of lamb cooking, but I especially like the smell
of it cooking on the grill.

Damsel

RR > said:

>Leg, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
>Garlic and rosemary were made to go with lamb ;-).

I hear that about mint, too. I think I'll skip the rosemary. To me, it
tastes like I imagine pine needles would. Don't wanna eat a Christmas
tree! LOL!

>IMO, grass-fed lamb has far better flavour than grain-fed lamb so, if
>you can find it, use locally raised grass-fed lamb.

Since I'll probably have to special order the meat (I've never seen lamb in
any of the stores here), I'll make that request. Thanks!

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

>Damsel *hates* rosemary! I can't emphasize it more strongly. Okay, maybe I
>can... she despises rosemary. She'd probably rather roast in Hell than eat
>rosemary. Okay, maybe not that bad, but seriously, she wouldn't put
>rosemary on it, trust me.

You know me so well ....

Carol, chuckling

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Damsel

Siobhan Perricone > said:

>I used this marinade for mine and it was GREAT:
>
>Penzey's Greek Seasoning Mix
>Lemon Juice
>Olive Oil
>Garlic
>
>Whip that all up then toss it with the lamb to marinade. We loved it.

Do you know, off-hand, what's in the Greek seasoning?

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Damsel

"Frenchy" > said:

>If you can get access to a Gourmet Butcher they may have "Lamb Heart of
>Rump" or the "Lamb Eye Fillets". These are the very best and no
>fat/gristle/membrane.

This is starting to sound pretty expensive ....

>And make sure it is New Zealand lamb, not that crap Aussie stuff <smile>

Does anyone know if most of the lamb sold in the US is from down under?
I've seen several sheep farms right here in Minnesota.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Dave Smith

Damsel wrote:

> Siobhan Perricone > said:
>
> >I used this marinade for mine and it was GREAT:
> >
> >Penzey's Greek Seasoning Mix
> >Lemon Juice
> >Olive Oil
> >Garlic
> >
> >Whip that all up then toss it with the lamb to marinade. We loved it.

> Do you know, off-hand, what's in the Greek seasoning?

I use a the lemon juice, olive oil and garlic, add salt and pepper and
Oregano. You can also through in some marjoram.

Victor Sack

Damsel > wrote:

> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely nothing
> about lamb, so be kind.

Best are saddle, (hind) leg, and shoulder, in that order. For kebabs,
avoid frozen lamb - use fresh, locally produced meat if possible. Meat
of young lamb, especially saddle, can be so tender as to need no
marinating. Cut the meat, trimmed of external fat, into 1-1.5-inch
cubes, all the same size, if possible. If marinating is needed or
desired, use dry white wine and finely minced onions. In the last 1.5
hour add kefir or plain yoghurt to the marinade. Pat dry, thread on
skewers and grill over hot coals (about 4 inches above them), turning
and painting the meat with fat (but take care that the dripping fat
doesn't burn - put a vessel with water underneath). For pink meat,
about 10-12 minutes should suffice, for well-done about 15.

Victor
Damsel

Dave Smith > said:

>I use a the lemon juice, olive oil and garlic, add salt and pepper and
>Oregano. You can also through in some marjoram.

You guys are making me so hungry!

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Victor Sack wrote on 30 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Damsel > wrote:
>
> > What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely
> > nothing about lamb, so be kind.

> Best are saddle, (hind) leg, and shoulder, in that order. For
> kebabs, avoid frozen lamb - use fresh, locally produced meat if
> possible. Meat of young lamb, especially saddle, can be so tender
> as to need no marinating. Cut the meat, trimmed of external fat,
> into 1-1.5-inch cubes, all the same size, if possible. If
> marinating is needed or desired, use dry white wine and finely
> minced onions. In the last 1.5 hour add kefir or plain yoghurt to
> the marinade. Pat dry, thread on skewers and grill over hot coals
> (about 4 inches above them), turning and painting the meat with
> fat (but take care that the dripping fat doesn't burn - put a
> vessel with water underneath). For pink meat, about 10-12 minutes
> should suffice, for well-done about 15.
>
> Victor

My Favourite marinade for lamb shoulder...I don't do the Rosemary
Lamb Marinade

3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp rosemary (optional)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper

Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

>My Favourite marinade for lamb shoulder...I don't do the Rosemary
>Lamb Marinade
>
>3/4 cup dry red wine
>1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
>1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
>1 tbsp Dijon mustard
>1 tbsp brown sugar
>1 tsp rosemary (optional)
>1/2 tsp oregano
>1/2 tsp thyme
>1/2 tsp cumin
>1/4 tsp cinnamon
>Salt and pepper
>
>Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

How am I going to decide which marinade to try? Every single one that's
been offered looks good. I'll leave it up to Crash to decide. Alan, could
this be made without the Dijon?

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 30 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
> >My Favourite marinade for lamb shoulder...I don't do the Rosemary
> >Lamb Marinade
> >
> >3/4 cup dry red wine
> >1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
> >1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
> >1 tbsp Dijon mustard
> >1 tbsp brown sugar
> >1 tsp rosemary (optional)
> >1/2 tsp oregano
> >1/2 tsp thyme
> >1/2 tsp cumin
> >1/4 tsp cinnamon
> >Salt and pepper
> >
> >Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

> How am I going to decide which marinade to try? Every single one
> that's been offered looks good. I'll leave it up to Crash to
> decide. Alan, could this be made without the Dijon?
>
> Carol

Sorry Dams I've always not used the Rosemary but...
I've never not used Dijon in this.

I've only done roasts with this marinade though, so for kabobs who
knows? I'm not a Kabob kinda guy...too fiddlie and not a Manly Man's
dish as I see it.

To me lamb is best Med-rare... To me med-well or well cooked lamb isn't
as tasty.

If you like lamb ...you'll like lamb a lot...If you don't, You won't
like it at one bit. Pick up the New Zealand lamb.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
>> My Favourite marinade for lamb shoulder...I don't do the Rosemary
>> Lamb Marinade
>>
>> 3/4 cup dry red wine
>> 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
>> 1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
>> 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
>> 1 tbsp brown sugar
>> 1 tsp rosemary (optional)
>> 1/2 tsp oregano
>> 1/2 tsp thyme
>> 1/2 tsp cumin
>> 1/4 tsp cinnamon
>> Salt and pepper
>>
>> Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

> How am I going to decide which marinade to try? Every single one
> that's been offered looks good. I'll leave it up to Crash to decide.
> Alan, could this be made without the Dijon?
>
> Carol

Use the one you got from Lynne who made the ones you liked so much! <G>

Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

>Damsel wrote:
>>
>> How am I going to decide which marinade to try?

>Use the one you got from Lynne who made the ones you liked so much! <G>

Wow ... good advice, Jill. Thanks. You just took a gigantic load off my
shoulders! But I'm saving the rest for future adventures.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
RR

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > wrote:

Snip

>To me lamb is best Med-rare... To me med-well or well cooked lamb isn't
>as tasty.

Amen.

>If you like lamb ...you'll like lamb a lot...If you don't, You won't
>like it at one bit. Pick up the New Zealand lamb.

I guess this is another case of YMMV.
We raised sheep and had our own, strictly grass-fed lamb for close to
20 years. Of course, it was the best ;-). Now, the closest we can come
to home grown is never frozen, Australian grass-fed lamb. If New
Zealand lamb is all that's available, I'll pass and go with pork or
chicken instead.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Dog3

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> RR wrote:
>> Damsel > wrote:
>>
>>> Lynn Gifford made marinated lamb kabobs for a Twin Cities cook-in
>>> awhile back. Crash and I both loved them. Neither of us had ever
>>> tried lamb before, and we haven't had any since.
>>> What would be a good cut for use in kabobs? I know absolutely
>>> nothing about lamb, so be kind.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Carol

>> Leg, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
>> Garlic and rosemary were made to go with lamb ;-).

> Damsel *hates* rosemary! I can't emphasize it more strongly. Okay,
> maybe I can... she despises rosemary. She'd probably rather roast in
> Hell than eat rosemary. Okay, maybe not that bad, but seriously, she
> wouldn't put rosemary on it, trust me.
>
> Jill
>
>> IMO, grass-fed lamb has far better flavour than grain-fed lamb so, if
>> you can find it, use locally raised grass-fed lamb. Australian
>> grass-fed lamb is also a good choice (my local Costco sells boneless
>> leg of Australian grass-fed lamb that is excellent).
>> Sprinkle a bit of rosemary on the coals while grilling.
>>
>> Enjoy.
>>
>> Ross.
>> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Dams hates rosemary? OMG I love it.

Michael
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 30 May 2005 08:17:35p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> RR wrote:

>>> Leg, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary.
>>> Garlic and rosemary were made to go with lamb ;-).

>> Damsel *hates* rosemary! I can't emphasize it more strongly. Okay,
>> maybe I can... she despises rosemary. She'd probably rather roast in
>> Hell than eat rosemary. Okay, maybe not that bad, but seriously, she
>> wouldn't put rosemary on it, trust me.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>>> IMO, grass-fed lamb has far better flavour than grain-fed lamb so, if
>>> you can find it, use locally raised grass-fed lamb. Australian
>>> grass-fed lamb is also a good choice (my local Costco sells boneless
>>> leg of Australian grass-fed lamb that is excellent).
>>> Sprinkle a bit of rosemary on the coals while grilling.
>>>
>>> Enjoy.
>>>
>>> Ross.
>>> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

> Dams hates rosemary? OMG I love it.
>
> Michael

Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. I use it on lamb, pork, potatoes, in
spaghetti sauce. When I lived in NE Ohio I had several rosemary plants
that gave me an endless supply.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel

Dog3 > said:

>Dams hates rosemary? OMG I love it.

You can have mine. I'm a thyme and tarragon girl. Not together, though.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 30 May 2005 03:27:24a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Andy" > wrote in message
> 6...
>> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>
>> > Wayne's right - leg. All I use on lamb is olive oil, smashed garlic,
>> > grated onion, lemon juice and (a little) salt.
>> >
>> > Lynn from Fargo
>> > Experimenting on Wednesday with filet of pork and Melba's Cherry Jam
>> > (and lime juice & chipotle.

>> Wayne's right leg???

> You are so bad! :-D
>
> kili

You sure are. I have enough trouble walking using both legs!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 30 May 2005 16:26:43 -0500, Damsel > wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone > said:
>
>>I used this marinade for mine and it was GREAT:
>>
>>Penzey's Greek Seasoning Mix
>>Lemon Juice
>>Olive Oil
>>Garlic
>>
>>Whip that all up then toss it with the lamb to marinade. We loved it.

>Do you know, off-hand, what's in the Greek seasoning?

FYI, Penzey's lists the ingredients of all their mixes in their web
catalog.

Greek Seasoning
A traditional blend of lemon, garlic and oregano. To make GREEK SALAD
DRESSING: Mix 2 TB. seasoning with 2 TB. water, let stand 5 min. Add 1 / 4
Cup olive oil, 1 /4 Cup salad oil, 1 /3 Cup red wine vinegar (or 1 /4 cup
balsamic vinegar and 2 TB. water), plus 1 tsp. sugar if desired. Use to
dress vegetable salads, tomatoes and red onion with feta cheese and olives,
chicken and pasta salads, or a plain lettuce salad. For gyros, mix 1 TB. in
1 TB. water. Let stand 5 min., add 1 TB. olive oil and 1 TB. lemon juice.
Combine with 1 lb. cubed lamb (traditional), pork or chicken, refrigerate 2
hours. Broil until browned. Mix 2-3 tsp. with 1 Cup yogurt and 2 TB.
cucumber for gyro sauce. Great on grilled, baked or fried fish or chicken,
rub on 1 tsp. per lb. Hand-mixed from: coarse salt, garlic, lemon, black
pepper, Turkish oregano, marjoram.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...greekseas.html

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what ya do in the name of your god"
- Holly Near
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 30 May 2005 16:32:03 -0500, Damsel > wrote:

>"Frenchy" > said:
>
>>If you can get access to a Gourmet Butcher they may have "Lamb Heart of
>>Rump" or the "Lamb Eye Fillets". These are the very best and no
>>fat/gristle/membrane.

>This is starting to sound pretty expensive ....
>
>>And make sure it is New Zealand lamb, not that crap Aussie stuff <smile>

>Does anyone know if most of the lamb sold in the US is from down under?
>I've seen several sheep farms right here in Minnesota.

If it's Australian or New Zealand lamb, it should clearly say so on the
packaging. You might try looking for a local producer you can buy from
directly. There's a lot of web sites that serve small producers like that,
providing consumers with lists of farms to contact directly. I'm not able
to find the one I've used in the past at the moment, but I'll try to find
it for you.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what ya do in the name of your god"
- Holly Near
Dog3

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> On Mon 30 May 2005 08:17:35p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Damsel *hates* rosemary! I can't emphasize it more strongly. Okay,
>>> maybe I can... she despises rosemary. She'd probably rather roast
>>> in Hell than eat rosemary. Okay, maybe not that bad, but seriously,
>>> she wouldn't put rosemary on it, trust me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Dams hates rosemary? OMG I love it.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. I use it on lamb, pork,
> potatoes, in spaghetti sauce. When I lived in NE Ohio I had several
> rosemary plants that gave me an endless supply.

You lived in Ohio? I lived in Columbus. I fled like a refugee. I have
potted rosemary. They look terrific in the sunny parts of the yard. I will
try again to winter them. I've had little luck. Rosemary is one of my
faves. I like it especially with pork and roasted veggies. I use oregano in
pasta sauces, well... I use a lot of herbs and spices in the sauce,
rosemary being one of them but not a main one in pasta sauces.

Okay, I'm tired of leftovers. What's for lunch?

Michael
Dog3

Damsel > wrote in
:

> Siobhan Perricone > said:
>
>>I used this marinade for mine and it was GREAT:
>>
>>Penzey's Greek Seasoning Mix
>>Lemon Juice
>>Olive Oil
>>Garlic
>>
>>Whip that all up then toss it with the lamb to marinade. We loved it.

> Do you know, off-hand, what's in the Greek seasoning?
>
> Carol

I have never acquired the taste for lamb. I just can't stand the taste of
it. Gawd, and it reeks up the house. I make a very decent rack of lamb but
I just can't stand the taste. I don't use a seasoning mix but I use the
lemon juice, olive oil and a ton of garlic. I also use butter and rosemary
I also use S&P. I'll take whole pepper toast it briefly and rub it in.
Steven loves the rack of lamb and he is a big lamb eater. He's the first
one out with the knife when I cook one.

Michael

SCALLOP KABOBS Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 03:01 PM
Kabobs MJ General Cooking 11 12-06-2005 04:11 AM
Kabobs Tom Banner Barbecue 2 17-11-2003 05:29 AM