Need Rice Pudding Recipe using cooked rice

Old 28-05-2005, 11:01 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default Need Rice Pudding Recipe using cooked rice

Hello all,
I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked. I prepared rice for a pilaf and it got just a tiny
bit too done so I figured I'd try to make rice pudding from it. A
simple recipe would be best that doesn't involve cooking the pudding in
a water bath or anything because unfortunatly I won't have time for a
recipe with special needs. :-)

TIA,
Jennifer

Old 28-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Michel Boucher
Usenet poster

wrote in
oups.com:

Hello all,
I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked. I prepared rice for a pilaf and it got just a
tiny bit too done so I figured I'd try to make rice pudding from
it. A simple recipe would be best that doesn't involve cooking the
pudding in a water bath or anything because unfortunatly I won't
have time for a recipe with special needs. :-)

I was thinking the same thing today. Found this recipe in my
unsorted pile which I may try later tonight. Although I have not
tried it, I do believe it follows the grand old design and its
origins are respectable, although some here, I am sure, will
disagree. Note that I will be using short grain sushi rice and not
long grain or basmati.

Rice Pudding

1 cup Rice, cooked
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Raisins
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 Egg, separated
Nutmeg

Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar and milk and stir into the rice.
Add the butter and raisins. Pour into a buttered baking dish. Beat
the egg whites until frothy, add the powdered sugar and spread on top
of rice pudding. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake at 325-F for 30
minutes.

Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book - Fine Old Recipes, Culinary
Arts Press, 1936.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song
Old 29-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Rusty
Usenet poster

On 28 May 2005 15:01:39 -0700, wrote:

Hello all,
I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked. I prepared rice for a pilaf and it got just a tiny
bit too done so I figured I'd try to make rice pudding from it. A
simple recipe would be best that doesn't involve cooking the pudding in
a water bath or anything because unfortunatly I won't have time for a
recipe with special needs. :-)

TIA,
Jennifer

Creamy Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
* 2 cups milk, divided
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2/3 cup golden raisins
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice
and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups
milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15
to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins.
Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir
in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.

http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/CrmyRicPdding.asp

Creamiest Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 gallon milk
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* ground cinnamon to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1/2 gallon
milk, sugar and rice. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Remove pan from heat and let rest 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup milk, salt and vanilla.
Stir into rice mixture and return pot to low heat, stirring
constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch dish and cover with
plastic wrap, folding back the corners to allow the steam to escape.
3. When pudding has cooled to room temperature, remove plastic wrap
and sprinkle surface of pudding with cinnamon. Cover tightly (with
fresh wrap) and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight before serving.

http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/CrmistRicPdding.asp

Rusty
Old 29-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Michel Boucher
Usenet poster

Rusty wrote in
:

I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked.

Creamy Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 3/4 cup uncooked white rice

Creamiest Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

Nice follow-through, there, Rusty :-)

Old 29-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Rusty
Usenet poster

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:34:30 -0500, Michel Boucher
wrote:

Rusty wrote in
:

I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked.

Creamy Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 3/4 cup uncooked white rice

Creamiest Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

Nice follow-through, there, Rusty :-)

Nice reading there Mike. :-P

Old 29-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Michel Boucher
Usenet poster

Rusty wrote in
news
On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:34:30 -0500, Michel Boucher
wrote:

Rusty wrote in
m:

I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
already been cooked.

Creamy Rice Pudding

INGREDIENTS:

* 3/4 cup uncooked white rice