Bob

Default Restaurants in Hampton, VA?

I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks. Can
anybody recommend good places to eat here?

Bob

MrAoD

Bob asks:

>I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks. Can
>anybody recommend good places to eat here?

My inlaws live there.

No.

Best,

Marc
Frogleg

On 18 Apr 2004 08:56:26 -0500, "Bob" > wrote:

>I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks. Can
>anybody recommend good places to eat here?

There aren't any. If you like Thai, there's a tiny place in a shopping
strip just before the Langley gate on Armistead -- Chawee's.
Otherwise, head for Wmsbg. If you have deep pockets, go to The
Trellis.
John Gaughan

Bob wrote:
> I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks.
> Can anybody recommend good places to eat here?

I used to be stationed at Langley. I hated every second of it.

Anyway, there is a Mongolian Barbeque place on Colliseum. Take either
gate that goes out to Colliseum and hang a right on the road. Take it
past the overpass, and on the right there will be a yellow and red sign.
I do not remember the name but it was something about China or Mongolia.
Excellent food. If you hit Beth Manor Drive you went too far.

Go out the gate by the gym and officer housing, the one where you go
over the river. Right outside the gate on the right is a decent Mexican
place. We used to go there for lunch every week. If you value your life,
do not go out that gate when it is dark.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Goomba38

Bob wrote:

> I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks. Can
> anybody recommend good places to eat here?
>
> Bob

Across the river in Norfolk used to be a great Czech restaurant called "The
Monastery". They might be worth looking up? Its been 15 years or so, but
still memorable.
Goomba

Bob

Frogleg wrote:

> There aren't any. If you like Thai, there's a tiny place in a shopping
> strip just before the Langley gate on Armistead -- Chawee's.
> Otherwise, head for Wmsbg. If you have deep pockets, go to The
> Trellis.

I knew about the Thai place, but I haven't been here for about 8 years, so I
was hoping the dining prospects might have changed in the interval.

I don't have deep pockets, but I *do* have per diem while I'm here. :-) The
problem is that my working hours are very long, so I can either eat locally
or sacrifice sleep.

Thanks for the reminder about the Thai place. It reminded me that there's
also fairly decent Korean food to be found in the tavern located in that
same shopping center.

Bob

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Bob" > wrote in message
> I'm working at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, for the next couple weeks. Can
> anybody recommend good places to eat here?
>
> Bob

When we went down to Norfolk for the arrival of my son's ship June of last
year, we ended up at a restaurant in an old Rose's Five and Dime called
Uncle Lou's. Pretty good food and reasonable prices, also had a coffee
selection that you could opt to take home with you if you liked.

Not much else.
-Ginny

Frogleg

On 19 Apr 2004 03:09:07 -0500, "Bob" > wrote:

>I knew about the Thai place, but I haven't been here for about 8 years, so I
>was hoping the dining prospects might have changed in the interval.

>Thanks for the reminder about the Thai place. It reminded me that there's
>also fairly decent Korean food to be found in the tavern located in that
>same shopping center.

I don't know if that's still open or not. The Mexican place outside
the King St. gate was always fairly good and cheap.

Hampton/Newport News are just *dismal* for food. The only places that
thrive are the chains -- both slow and fast. The Daily Press used to
do a Readers' Favorites survey every year, and gave up because
Steak'n'Ale was consistently at the top of the list. Most non-chain
places fail after a year or 2. Oh, there *is* an Indian restaurant on
Jefferson Ave. Nawab. http://nawabonline.com/ for menu, etc. They have
a lunch buffet.