Robt E

Default liquid glucose from powdered?

I've several recipes that call for liquid glucose. My local supermarket,
however, carries only powdered glucose. My question is whether I can
make liquid glucose from the powder. Is it simply a matter of boiling up
a syrup, as in a stock syrup? If so, does anyone know the proportions to
make a concentration like that available commercially? Or is this a non-
starter?

Thanks in advance.

RobtE

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:55:27 +0100, Robt E >
wrote:

>I've several recipes that call for liquid glucose. My local supermarket,
>however, carries only powdered glucose. My question is whether I can
>make liquid glucose from the powder. Is it simply a matter of boiling up
>a syrup, as in a stock syrup? If so, does anyone know the proportions to
>make a concentration like that available commercially? Or is this a non-
>starter?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>RobtE

You can use light corn syrup as a substitute for liquid glucose. The
liquid glucose(pure glucose in Europe) is used in bakeries in the US.
Light corn syrup has a little dextrine(sp)sugar in it, other than that
they are very similar.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:36:12 +0100, Robt E >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:55:27 +0100, Robt E >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I've several recipes that call for liquid glucose. My local supermarket,
>> >however, carries only powdered glucose. My question is whether I can
>> >make liquid glucose from the powder. Is it simply a matter of boiling up
>> >a syrup, as in a stock syrup? If so, does anyone know the proportions to
>> >make a concentration like that available commercially? Or is this a non-
>> >starter?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >RobtE

>> You can use light corn syrup as a substitute for liquid glucose. The
>> liquid glucose(pure glucose in Europe) is used in bakeries in the US.
>> Light corn syrup has a little dextrine(sp)sugar in it, other than that
>> they are very similar.
>>

>Yes, so I've gathered from what I've read (Google is my friend). The
>problem is that I'm in the UK. I've never seen corn syrup here, even in
>the bigger supermarkets.
>
>RobtE

Try a bakery there, they might spring you some or point you to a
source. You may be right, corn isn't a big crop in Europe.

: On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:55:27 +0100, Robt E >
: wrote:

: >
: >I've several recipes that call for liquid glucose. My local supermarket,
: >however, carries only powdered glucose. My question is whether I can
: >make liquid glucose from the powder. Is it simply a matter of boiling up
: >a syrup, as in a stock syrup? If so, does anyone know the proportions to
: >make a concentration like that available commercially? Or is this a non-
: >starter?
: >
: >Thanks in advance.
: >
: >RobtE
: You can use light corn syrup as a substitute for liquid glucose. The
: liquid glucose(pure glucose in Europe) is used in bakeries in the US.
: Light corn syrup has a little dextrine(sp)sugar in it, other than that
: they are very similar.

Corn syrup is dextrose, which is the naturally occurring form of glucose.
For all intents and purposes here they are the same thing. Corn sugar does
NOT have "a little dextrine sugar in it" - it IS dextrose.