First night / Second night - Meal Planning

Old 22-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Renee
Usenet poster

Default First night / Second night - Meal Planning

I don't usually have a Monday - Sunday meal plan because many times we'll
decide on the spur of moment to just do take-out, or pizza, or go out to
dinner. What I like to do instead is plan for a first night's meal and a
second night's meal somehow using the left-overs. For instance, whenever I
buy a top round for London Broil, I make sure to buy peppers and onions for
pepper steak to cook the second night with the left-over meat.

Does anyone have any similar first and second night meal plans they often
use? I'm always looking for ideas with this and haven't seen a lot of recipe
sites that make it this simple.

TIA

Renee

Old 22-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Tara
Usenet poster

We don't mind leftovers, so I often cook enough so we can have more of
the same the next day. But when we want a little change --

First night: chili
Second night: chili over baked potatoes, in omelets, burritos, chili
mac

First night: chicken
Second night: chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, creamed chicken,
enchiladas, chicken and rice, casseroles

First night: pot roast
Second night: hash

First night: pork roast
Second night: barbecue sandwiches

First night: ham
Second night: ham and eggs, ham and macaroni and cheese

Tara

Old 22-05-2005, 08:32 PM
sarah bennett
Usenet poster

Renee wrote:
I don't usually have a Monday - Sunday meal plan because many times we'll
decide on the spur of moment to just do take-out, or pizza, or go out to
dinner. What I like to do instead is plan for a first night's meal and a
second night's meal somehow using the left-overs. For instance, whenever I
buy a top round for London Broil, I make sure to buy peppers and onions for
pepper steak to cook the second night with the left-over meat.

Does anyone have any similar first and second night meal plans they often
use? I'm always looking for ideas with this and haven't seen a lot of recipe
sites that make it this simple.

TIA

Renee

i usually plan out 2 weeks worth of meals at a time- but do not decide
what to make each day till day of, usually. the method you are decribing
is the exception.

first night: flank steak w/ veggies and starchy thing
2nd night: taco-type stuff

first night: roast chicken
2nd night: chicken pot pie

1st night: chicken stock; soup made from stock w/ extra chicken cooked in it
2nd night: chicken salad from chicken poached in stock

1st night:chili
2nd night: chili dogs

1st night: spaghetti or lasagna (from scratch sauce)
2nd night: eggs cooked in tomato sauce, melted parmesan on top ("eggs in
purgatory" from 'the sopranos cookbook')

1st night: roast beef or pot roast
2nd night: shepherds pie or sandwiches (depending on amount of leftovers)

1st night: mac and cheese casserole with veggies
2nd night: baked potatoes with cheese sauce and veggies

1st night: sauteed or grilled chicken breasts w/ rice pilaf
2nd night: green salad with sliced chicken breast

often, when i make a soup as a "main dish", we eat the leftovers the
next day as a side, but thats not the same thing.

the first time i made sloppy joes, i was a cooking novice and made WAY
too much for just me and my husband. i didnt want to eat the same thing
the next day, so i thinned it with diced tomatoes and water, added
veggies and noodles, and voila! soup! it wasnt that great, but i was
very impressed with myself at the time, as it was pretty edible

i try to make as much labor intensive stuff (at least the stuff that
will hold in the fridge ok for a few days) on my days off of work, so im
not stuck in the kitchen for 2 hours a day after i get home from being
stuck in a kitchen for 8 hours

im very big on buying a load of peppers, f'rinstance, dicing them,
freezing them on a tray, and then bagging them up. gives me more time to
mince the garlic really fine.

--

saerah

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Old 22-05-2005, 08:54 PM
aem
Usenet poster

Renee wrote:
[snip]
What I like to do instead is plan for a first night's meal and a
second night's meal somehow using the left-overs. [snip]

Does anyone have any similar first and second night meal plans they
often use? I'm always looking for ideas ... [snip]

By far our most frequent use of leftovers is for fried rice. You can
throw almost anything into it. Aside from that, we like chicken a la
king from leftover roast chicken, as well as chunky chicken noodle soup
if I've also made chicken stock. Meatloaf, of course, is better for
sandwiches the second day than it is hot the first time around.
Especially in the summertime, cold sandwiches with a salad and a hot
side dish or soup are good uses of leftover roast beef and corned beef
and roast pork.