Andy

Default Is it too early for corn?

My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.

I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.

I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.

I should've bought a few ears I guess,

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Charlene Charette

Andy wrote:
> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>
> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>
> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>
> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>
> Andy

Don't know about where you are, but I bought some corn in Houston (TX) a
couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Small, but mighty tasty.

--Charlene

--
To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
would be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Christine

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Andy wrote:
>> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
>> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>>
>> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
>> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>>
>> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
>> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>>
>> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Don't know about where you are, but I bought some corn in Houston (TX) a
> couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Small, but mighty tasty.
>
> --Charlene

Charlene,

Which grocery store did you find the good tasting corn? We usually wait
for the Olathe (Colorado) corn to come in. Hope it appears in Kroger again
this year.

Chris in Pearland, TX (burb of Houston)

The Cook

Andy > wrote:

>My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
>looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>
>I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
>seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>
>I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
>the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>
>I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>
>Andy

Depends on where you are. Here in North Carolina corn was just
planted within the last couple of weeks. August is usually the month
for fresh corn.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Dave Smith

Andy wrote:

> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>
> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>
> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>
> I should've bought a few ears I guess,

It's barely time to plant corn here. Some say that corn should be planted
when the leaves on the elm trees are as big as a mouse's ear.
IMO, fresh corn is not worth buying unless you get it from the farm market
the day it is picked.

jmcquown

The Cook wrote:
> Andy > wrote:
>
>> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but
>> they looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>>
>> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
>> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>>
>> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn
>> right off the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>>
>> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>>
>> Andy

> Depends on where you are. Here in North Carolina corn was just
> planted within the last couple of weeks. August is usually the month
> for fresh corn.

Yep, I haven't seen any good fresh corn in west TN for a few months. There
are some "wannabee" ears of corn for next to nothing, but not like the good
fresh picked stuff that comes at the end of summer.

Jill

Goomba38

jmcquown wrote:

> Yep, I haven't seen any good fresh corn in west TN for a few months. There
> are some "wannabee" ears of corn for next to nothing, but not like the good
> fresh picked stuff that comes at the end of summer.
>
> Jill

I was visiting in Atlanta this weekend and heard a radio ad for early FL
corn, at 8/$1.00
Goomba
Del Cecchi

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Andy wrote:
>> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
>> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>>
>> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
>> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>>
>> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
>> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>>
>> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Don't know about where you are, but I bought some corn in Houston (TX) a
> couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Small, but mighty tasty.
>
> --Charlene
>

> --
> To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it would
> be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken
>

> email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Here in Minnesota, it is a tad early. It hasn't sprouted yet. :-(

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 15 May 2005 05:44:36p, Del Cecchi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Andy wrote:
>>> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but
>>> they looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>>>
>>> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
>>> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>>>
>>> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right
>>> off the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>>>
>>> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Don't know about where you are, but I bought some corn in Houston (TX)
>> a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Small, but mighty tasty.
>>
>> --Charlene
>>

>> --
>> To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
>> would be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken
>>

>> email perronnelle at earthlink . net

> Here in Minnesota, it is a tad early. It hasn't sprouted yet. :-(

Well, most of the time, you can count on a lot of corn around here! <G>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
kilikini

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 15 May 2005 05:44:36p, Del Cecchi wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> Andy wrote:

>> Here in Minnesota, it is a tad early. It hasn't sprouted yet. :-(
>>

> Well, most of the time, you can count on a lot of corn around here!
> <G>

G R O A N.................... <g>

kili

Charlene Charette

Christine wrote:

>>Don't know about where you are, but I bought some corn in Houston (TX) a
>>couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Small, but mighty tasty.
>>
>>--Charlene

> Charlene,
>
> Which grocery store did you find the good tasting corn? We usually wait
> for the Olathe (Colorado) corn to come in. Hope it appears in Kroger again
> this year.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX (burb of Houston)

I got it at the Kroger on Hwy 6 @ Bissonnet. Haven't seen any recently.
Must have been a one-time deal.

--Charlene

--
To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
would be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Shaun aRe

"Andy" > wrote in message
6...
> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.
>
> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.
>
> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>
> I should've bought a few ears I guess,
>
> Andy

Young corn is my favourite - so tender and tasty, unless the corn is crap
stuff anyway!

Shaun aRe

Kate Connally

Andy wrote:

> My corner produce market had lots of white sweet corn for sale, but they
> looked smallish and weren't as fragrant as I'd expect.

I never buy corn-on-the-cob (I assume this is what you're
referring to) except at a roadside farm stand. Corn season
is mid-July through August. I would never buy corn in the
supermarket.

> I don't know where the corn is grown but if it's grown in year-round
> seasonal weather, it's not fresh, here.

They ship it in from Florida or Arizone or someplace.

> I remember spending summers in the cornfields eating sugar corn right off
> the stalks. We were worse pests than the crows.
>
> I should've bought a few ears I guess,

No, wait for summer. Where are you anyway? I'm in the
northeast (Pittsburgh). Here it's July and August. When
it comes we eat as much as we can while it's fresh.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Andy

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> No, wait for summer. Where are you anyway? I'm in the
> northeast (Pittsburgh). Here it's July and August. When
> it comes we eat as much as we can while it's fresh.
>
> Kate

Kate,

Hi, neighbor! I'm near Philly. The other wait is for Jersey tomatos!!!

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Kate Connally

Andy wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in
> :
>
> > No, wait for summer. Where are you anyway? I'm in the
> > northeast (Pittsburgh). Here it's July and August. When
> > it comes we eat as much as we can while it's fresh.
> >
> > Kate

> Kate,
>
> Hi, neighbor! I'm near Philly. The other wait is for Jersey tomatos!!!

Great, then you can drive out to Amish country and
find some really great freshly picked corn.
Kate