Default Pasta Question

Hi,

I've looked but I can't seem to find the answer. My daughter loves the
way pasta (mostly spaghetti) tastes at things like catered school
fuctions where the pasta comes in large trays and the sauce really
soaks in to the pasta.

I know this probably has several of you going in to low earth orbit,
but what is the trick to produce pasta that isn't clumped together yet
has the sauce soaked in and still sauce in the pan?

I have tried and I can't do this.

Thanks.

Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've looked but I can't seem to find the answer. My daughter loves the
> way pasta (mostly spaghetti) tastes at things like catered school
> fuctions where the pasta comes in large trays and the sauce really
> soaks in to the pasta.
>
> I know this probably has several of you going in to low earth orbit,
> but what is the trick to produce pasta that isn't clumped together yet
> has the sauce soaked in and still sauce in the pan?
>
> I have tried and I can't do this.
>
> Thanks.

There are about a million nope a gazillion recipies - just search "Baked Pasta"
or spaghetti and you'll get:

Home: Baked Pasta< Previous RecipeNext Recipe >

Baked Pasta
A spicy pasta casserole, a good one to serve a crowd. Of course you can use more
or less seasonings to suit your taste.

Ingredients:
4 cups penne or other small pasta
1 pound ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 teaspoon dried chilies
1/2 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Cook pasta and drain.

In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef, garlic and onion. Drain fat. Add
tomatoes, brown sugar, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer
15 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and pasta.

Cut cream cheese into 1/2 inch cubes and stir into the meat sauce.

Put the mixture in a 4 quart casserole dish, or 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle the
mozzarella cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes 8
servings.

Sheldon

> Hi,
>
> I've looked but I can't seem to find the answer. My daughter loves

the
> way pasta (mostly spaghetti) tastes at things like catered school
> fuctions where the pasta comes in large trays and the sauce really
> soaks in to the pasta.
>
> I know this probably has several of you going in to low earth orbit,
> but what is the trick to produce pasta that isn't clumped together

yet
> has the sauce soaked in and still sauce in the pan?

http://www.campbellsoup.com/spaghettios.asp

Sheldon

Jerry DeAngelis

Hello

Another way to accomplish this is to make the pasta as a "leftover".
Cook the pasta on day 1, put it in a container, and refrigerate. Take
out of refrigerator, add a little water or tomato sauce and cook again
on the stove top over low to medium heat, stirring to assure that it
does not burn. Now you have overcooked, pasta that has indeed soaked
up the sauce, but can still taste pretty good. If you have left overs
for a second night, put it in a fry pan, add olive oil, heat the oil
until quite hot, and fry the remaining pasta. This is good too.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've looked but I can't seem to find the answer. My daughter loves
> the
> way pasta (mostly spaghetti) tastes at things like catered school
> fuctions where the pasta comes in large trays and the sauce really
> soaks in to the pasta.
>
> I know this probably has several of you going in to low earth orbit,
> but what is the trick to produce pasta that isn't clumped together
> yet
> has the sauce soaked in and still sauce in the pan?
>
> I have tried and I can't do this.
>
> Thanks.

Dee Randall

"Jerry DeAngelis" > wrote in message
news
> Hello
>
> Another way to accomplish this is to make the pasta as a "leftover". Cook
> the pasta on day 1, put it in a container, and refrigerate. Take out of
> refrigerator, add a little water or tomato sauce and cook again on the
> stove top over low to medium heat, stirring to assure that it does not
> burn. Now you have overcooked, pasta that has indeed soaked up the sauce,
> but can still taste pretty good. If you have left overs for a second
> night, put it in a fry pan, add olive oil, heat the oil until quite hot,
> and fry the remaining pasta. This is good too.
>
> Regards
>
> Jerry @ The Artisan
> http://www.theartisan.net
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've looked but I can't seem to find the answer. My daughter loves the
>> way pasta (mostly spaghetti) tastes at things like catered school
>> fuctions where the pasta comes in large trays and the sauce really
>> soaks in to the pasta.
>>
>> I know this probably has several of you going in to low earth orbit,
>> but what is the trick to produce pasta that isn't clumped together yet
>> has the sauce soaked in and still sauce in the pan?
>>
>> I have tried and I can't do this.
>>
>> Thanks.

If I want a pasta that isn't clumped together and has sauce soaked in and
still sauce in a large skillet/pan, I make sure I have loads of sauce ratio
to the pasta. After the pasta is cooked I will unclump AS I add it to a
heavily buttered pan, stirring it around to coat with the butter. Then I
will add the cooked sauce, using enough to have some left over on the
bottom and heat thoroughly. (This is the way the "Sopranos" suggest in a
recipe.

Here are other ways I use remaining pasta, but not answering your
requirement question:
If I cook a lb. of pasta (always al dente), I put the remaining pasta in a
corning ware container. If I have enough sauce left over, I mix it in the
pasta and let it set all night. The next day I warm it in the microwave.
If I cook a lb. of pasta (always al dente), I put the remaining pasta in a
corning ware container. If I have enough sauce left over, I may pour the
sauce over the top -- but not mix it together. The next day I will
microwave slightly, then mix.
Or,
If I cook a lb. of pasta, (always al dente) I put the remaining pasta in a
corning ware container. If I have no sauce left over or want to use the
pasta differently the next day, I will heat the pasta in the microwave
ever-so-slightly then do what I intend doing with it.
Dee