FXDWG

Default Crockpot Chili??

Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:

Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or let it cook
while it's in the crock pot??

Thanks!
George

FXDWG wrote:
> Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:
>
> Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or let it cook
> while it's in the crock pot??
>
> Thanks!

You will always get a much more flavorful result browning stuff first.
Ginny Sher

On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:11:44 -0400, FXDWG > wrote:

>Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:
>
>Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or let it cook
>while it's in the crock pot??
>
>Thanks!

I usually brown the meat first but the last time I made it, I was in a
hurry and put the meat in raw. I *really* didn't care for the texture
of the meat doing it that way. Brown the meat...

Ginny
jmcquown

Ginny Sher wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:11:44 -0400, FXDWG > wrote:
>
>> Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:
>>
>> Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or let it cook
>> while it's in the crock pot??
>>
>> Thanks!

> I usually brown the meat first but the last time I made it, I was in a
> hurry and put the meat in raw. I *really* didn't care for the texture
> of the meat doing it that way. Brown the meat...
>
> Ginny

It may also depend on the type of meat. If using chunks of beef, I'd be
more willing (but not necessarily do it) to use the beef not previously
browned simply because of having more muscle to hold up under long cooking.
Ground beef, pork, etc. benefits from browning because IMO without it it
simply turns to mush in the chili.

Jill

The Ranger

FXDWG > wrote in message
> Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:
>
> Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or
> let it cook while it's in the crock pot??

Brown the meat first. This will always give you better flavor.

The Ranger

Ginny Sher

On Sat, 7 May 2005 13:57:07 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Ginny Sher wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:11:44 -0400, FXDWG > wrote:
>>
>>> Quick question about making chili in a crock pot:
>>>
>>> Is it preferable to brown the meat before starting, or let it cook
>>> while it's in the crock pot??
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> I usually brown the meat first but the last time I made it, I was in a
>> hurry and put the meat in raw. I *really* didn't care for the texture
>> of the meat doing it that way. Brown the meat...
>>
>> Ginny

>It may also depend on the type of meat. If using chunks of beef, I'd be
>more willing (but not necessarily do it) to use the beef not previously
>browned simply because of having more muscle to hold up under long cooking.
>Ground beef, pork, etc. benefits from browning because IMO without it it
>simply turns to mush in the chili.
>
>Jill

Yep, that's what happened to me. I used ground turkey. Blech!
Ginny