Default Can I freeze fresh spinach leaves?

I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches

However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
going bad.

Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??
kilikini

> wrote in message
> I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
>
> However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
> bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
> usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
> going bad.
>
> Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
> use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??

I know you can freeze it if it's shredded because you can buy it that way
pre-packaged. I would think if you try to do a whole leaf, you would ruin
the texture and color of it, however. But, that's just my guess.

kili

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
> I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
>
> However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
> bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
> usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
> going bad.
>
> Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
> use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??

No - it will turn to black, slimy gunk. As a general rule you cannot freeze
fresh vegetables, they must be at least partially cooked first.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

Peter Aitken wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
> >
> > However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
> > bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
> > usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
> > going bad.
> >
> > Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
> > use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??

> No - it will turn to black, slimy gunk. As a general rule you cannot freeze
> fresh vegetables, they must be at least partially cooked first.

You would never be able to use it as you would fresh, no way.
Perhaps if you blanched it and used it in other dishes that use
frozen spinach, but not as a fresh spinach salad.

nancy

>No - it will turn to black, slimy gunk. As a general rule you cannot freeze
>fresh vegetables, they must be at least partially cooked first.

I see.... thanks

Oh well..... it was a thought. lol

PENMART01

> me6
>
>I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
>
>However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
>bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
>usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
>going bad.

What do you do, eat one leaf a day... six ounces of raw spinach is hardly a
portion, especially after it's cleaned.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

>>What do you do, eat one leaf a day... six ounces of raw spinach is hardly a
>>portion, especially after it's cleaned.
>>

>6 oz. of prewashed Baby Spinach is enough for 4 smallish salads.

All I know is I wind up throwing some of it away.

Im single and live alone. I like spinach but don't eat it every day.
PENMART01

says:

>>>What do you do, eat one leaf a day... six ounces of raw spinach is hardly a
>>>portion, especially after it's cleaned.
>>>

>>6 oz. of prewashed Baby Spinach is enough for 4 smallish salads.

>All I know is I wind up throwing some of it away.
>
>Im single and live alone. I like spinach but don't eat it every day.

Well then since you're asking about freezing simply freeze part *before* it
goes bad. duh

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>(SportKite1) writes:
>
>>penmart01wrote:

>>What do you do, eat one leaf a day... six ounces of raw spinach is hardly a
>>portion, especially after it's cleaned.
>>

>6 oz. of prewashed Baby Spinach is enough for 4 smallish salads.

Yeah, right, for smallish hamsters.

So according to your math a 10 oz box of frozen spinach is 6 servings... I'd
hate to have eat in your abode.

When fresh spinach is dressed it wilts way down... a half pound cleaned spinach
(baby or adult) dressed with hot bacon is salad for two... and not a very
filling salad at that, not unless your few forkfuls of leaves contains the
entire pound of bacon.

Btw, one jar of pureed Gerbers Jr is 6 ounces of pure spinach... barely one
adult serving.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Dog3
>
>I could eat a bag of 6oz spinach in a salad. It's really not all that much.
>If you're going to use it wilted or blanched in a recipe, 6oz is not nearly
>enough.

'Zactly.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
> I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
>
> However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
> bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
> usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
> going bad.
>
> Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
> use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??

Basically, No. You would have to blanch them before freezing. After
thawing, they would be limp - fine for cooking but not eating raw in a
salad.

sticks

Right Nancy, it will be just like frozen spinach, but you have to
blanche first and freeze un cookie sheets
then put in plastic freezer bags. You can't freeze it in a clump lol.
HAVE To BLANche, then squeeze out liquid, and freeze fast to preserve
color. If anal about color add a bit of a crushed vitamin C tablet.

Hugs,
Sticks

> You would never be able to use it as you would fresh, no way.
> Perhaps if you blanched it and used it in other dishes that use
> frozen spinach, but not as a fresh spinach salad.
>
> nancy

MrAoD

me6 writes:

>I like eating fresh spinach... raw.... in salads or on sandwiches
>
>However i live alone and Im always throwing spinach away cause it goes
>bad on me before I can eat it. And the smallest bags I can find are
>usually 5-6 ounce bags which is still too much for me to use up before
>going bad.
>
>Soo.... I was wondering if I can safely freeze fresh spinach....and
>use what I need by thawing it out.... little at a time??

As others have said, no. The texture you crave goes away even if you blanch it
before freezing.

A suggestion: Do you have a yard? Spinach is *very* easy to grow. Even if
you're living in an apartment you can grow it on a window ledge.

Six-seven plants and you've got more fresh spinach than you can probably
handle, just pinch of the outer leaves.

If planting outdoors start from seed in an area which will become partly shady
as the trees' foliage comes in - indoors in a spot that receives 2-3 hours of
direct light, no more. Excessive heat and sunlight causes spinach to bolt
(throw up a seed head and become bitter).

Or do succession planting. Spinach is, IIRC, about 45-55 days from seed to
harvest.

Best,

Marc