Roach Coach Etiquitte?

Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
The Ranger
Usenet poster

Default Roach Coach Etiquitte?

notbob , answered with wit and precision, sf's question
in message news:Yusdc.105181$JO3.74385@attbi_s04...
What's a roach coach?

You know ....a gaggin' wagon ...vehicular foodslaughter ...swill
on wheels ...roadkill express ...the upchuck truck ...you get
the idea.

They are those big ol' rolling white enamel and diamond pattern
stainless steel clad panel trucks with lift up doors and a full grill
inside and spew out a cornucopia of grease dripping fast food of
the kind that make Americans swoon. Who can forget those roach
coach classics like malibu chicken sandwich, chinese sausage n' rice,
breakfast burrito, and the ubiquitous deep fried chimachanga. Let's
not forget hot black coffee strong enough to warm the heart of a
Marine drill instructor. Yum!

Dang, your description is funny! I've saved it.

BTW: I'd only heard about half of those title. My education is complete now.

The Ranger

Old 09-04-2004, 04:18 PM
The Ranger
Usenet poster

Nancy Young asked in message
The Ranger wrote:

John Gaughan wrote in message

The more important question is, why order from a roach coach?
I do not know about the rest of you guys but I value my health.
I do not trust those things.

Puh-shah! That's silly.

The roach coaches around the businesses I've worked are cleaner
than many of the local restaurants. Besides, some of the best togo
food I've eaten has been at these things! One couple (Vietnamese)
prepped some of the BEST spring rolls and hot sauces! I was
placing an order five days a week. Then I changed jobs. The next
roach coach was a taco dealer! Darned good eats, dude!

Don't you think they'd be easier to keep roach free than a building?

Yes but roaches and other vermin can unwittingly be brought into a place
through the boxed items that are carried aboard. But, as a rule, I'm not
nearly as worried about the cleanliness of these cafes on wheels as some of
the more dank-n-dark hole in the wall places I've discovered.

Well, the truck used to come by every morning and every lunch,
people would watch out for it, the truck is here! Where else to
get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a bagel, toasted or not,
maybe an egg and cheese sandwich, whatEVER, for breakfast,
or a variety of decent food at lunch?

Like a rolling diner. And when you work in a place where there
is no cafeteria, it's a godsend.

Indeed! And when they make even halfway-decent food, the wait can be
excruciatingly long! The Vietnamese couple would spend 30 minutes at our
place in the morning and then over 60 at lunch! The line was longer than
Togo's* around the corner.

The Ranger

*Togo's Sandwiches; local franchise that is very popular.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

The Ranger wrote:

Nancy Young asked in message

Don't you think they'd be easier to keep roach free than a building?

Yes but roaches and other vermin can unwittingly be brought into a place
through the boxed items that are carried aboard.

Oh, I know! I'm just saying, if they did get roaches, it's a self
contained unit, not like a building. Where would they hide if
there isn't an apartment upstairs or something. I don't think I
explained that very well, but I'm thinking, empty it out, put in
a bug bomb and shut the doors.

Well, the truck used to come by every morning and every lunch,
people would watch out for it, the truck is here! Where else to
get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a bagel, toasted or not,
maybe an egg and cheese sandwich, whatEVER, for breakfast,
or a variety of decent food at lunch?

Like a rolling diner. And when you work in a place where there
is no cafeteria, it's a godsend.

Indeed! And when they make even halfway-decent food, the wait can be
excruciatingly long! The Vietnamese couple would spend 30 minutes at our
place in the morning and then over 60 at lunch! The line was longer than
Togo's* around the corner.

Gawd, sometimes the wait was excrutiating because it was like
10 degrees out. Ack. But this guy just served up your usual grill
items, sandwiches, fruit, like that. Sausage and pepper subs.
It was good. Truck was spotless.

nancy
Old 09-04-2004, 08:20 PM
MareCat
Usenet poster

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:59:13 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 04:29:05 GMT, sf wrote:

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:37:23 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

What is the proper etiquette when ordering from a roach coach?

What's a roach coach?

OK - I'll bite:

A silver truck that has a small kitchen (grill, microwave(?)
deep-fryer, refridgeraror/freezer) inside, and serves quick
service foods and vending machine fare. Usually staffed by two
people - a cook, and a driver/cashier. They drive around to
different companys or areas and serve the US version of street
food.

AKA: Catering Truck.

Sound familiar now?

-sw

i.e., the taco trucks that are *everywhere* in Houston and similar
places.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Pan Ohco
Usenet poster

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:17:42 GMT, "Mr. Wizard"
wrote:

I usually fire my Winchester Police Issue 12 ga. pump
into the air and I have their complete attention and the
place to myself.

You don't even have to fire it, just the sound of it chambering a
round, will get you everyone undivided attention.
Pan Ohco
Old 10-04-2004, 05:13 AM
John Gaughan
Usenet poster

Jack Schidt® wrote:
Nah, lighten up, amigo. Most RC's are in good health, unlike a lotta
sit down joints.

Roach coaches are not all bad, but the ones I have seen were a bit dirty
and the food was not all that great. The convenience is always nice,
assuming they have consistent timing.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 10-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Charles Gifford
Usenet poster

"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
m...

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
What is the proper etiquette when ordering from a roach coach?

Do you just yell in your order while the cook has their back
turned or do you wait for some sort of acknowledgement that you're
there and then state your business?

Some guy cut in front of me today and I was a little ticked. but
then I got to thinking that I've seen other people do this while I
was waiting.

-sw

I usually fire my Winchester Police Issue 12 ga. pump
into the air and I have their complete attention and the
place to myself.

I prefer my Ruger 10 ga. Police Issue Riot Gun.

Charlie

Old 10-04-2004, 05:24 PM
notbob
Usenet poster

On 2004-04-10, Charles Gifford wrote:

I prefer my Ruger 10 ga. Police Issue Riot Gun.

No such animal.

nb
Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

John Gaughan wrote:
Jack Schidt® wrote:
Nah, lighten up, amigo. Most RC's are in good health, unlike a lotta
sit down joints.

Roach coaches are not all bad, but the ones I have seen were a bit dirty
and the food was not all that great. The convenience is always nice,
assuming they have consistent timing.

They vary greatly. One place I worked at had two that
would set up out back for lunch. One of them was total
crap.

The other served great food, and got me hooked on chicken
curry with onions and white rice. Until one day I ordered
a burrito. Ecch. Never ask an Southeast-Asian woman to
make you a burrito. Went back to the chicken curry and
it's one of the few things I miss about that place.

--Blair
"Ernie should take an unplayable lie here."
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
John Gaughan
Usenet poster

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Never ask an Southeast-Asian woman to
make you a burrito.

Never order American food from an ethnic restaurant. I always cringe
when I hear someone (usually a child) order a burger at a Chinese or
Mexican restaurant. Nothing good will ever come of that.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

John Gaughan wrote:

Never order American food from an ethnic restaurant. I always cringe
when I hear someone (usually a child) order a burger at a Chinese or
Mexican restaurant. Nothing good will ever come of that.

I don't know about that. There us a Chinese restaurant in one of the
towns I work in that has really good lunch specials including things
like hamburgs and hot beef sandwiches. Those specials are really good,
and their fries are the best around.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
notbob
Usenet poster

On 2004-04-10, John Gaughan wrote:

Never order American food from an ethnic restaurant. I always cringe
when I hear someone (usually a child) order a burger at a Chinese or
Mexican restaurant. Nothing good will ever come of that.

Geez, whatta bunch bull!

First of all, most Chinese and Mexican restaurants don't have hamburgers on
the menu or the materials to make one. Second, some of the best American
food I've ever tasted was made by foreigners. The best burger I ever bought
came from a Korean fish/chips/burger joint that started out to be a fish
market but never quite got past the burger/chips part. My favorite Southern
style BBQ joint is owned and run by a Japanese family that hires Mexican
help. The only non-chain burger joint in my town is also owned by Koreans
and their burgers beat everyone but In n' Out. In fact, most of the
non-chain burger joints in the SFBA are owned by Orientals. They've got
American fast food down cold.

nb
Old 10-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Never ask an Southeast-Asian woman to
make you a burrito.

Never order American food from an ethnic restaurant. I always cringe
when I hear someone (usually a child) order a burger at a Chinese or
Mexican restaurant. Nothing good will ever come of that.

What, like a burger is more complex to prepare than anything else in said
ethnic establishments? Gimme a break! Now if I'm in a burger joint and
someone orders tamales, I may raise an eyebrow...

Jack Xenophobic

Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 AM
notbob
Usenet poster

On 2004-04-10, Jack Schidt® wrote:

What, like a burger is more complex to prepare than anything else in said
ethnic establishments? Gimme a break! Now if I'm in a burger joint and
someone orders tamales, I may raise an eyebrow...

I'll never forget the time I went to lunch at one of those supposed upscale
Mexican chain restaurants. They had a buffet set up and couple ol' geezer
black cooks were holding down the fort. It was the only time I ever had
Mexican food where every dish had a distinct bubba-Q undertone to it. I can
tell ya, it just don't work!

nb
Old 11-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

notbob wrote:

I'll never forget the time I went to lunch at one of those supposed upscale
Mexican chain restaurants.

Hmmm. I always that that "upscale chain" was an oxymoron.

They had a buffet set up and couple ol' geezer
black cooks were holding down the fort. It was the only time I ever had
Mexican food where every dish had a distinct bubba-Q undertone to it. I can
tell ya, it just don't work!

Ahh..... upscale buffet.
I have to confess that I never really thought that ethnicity ever had a lot to
do with one's ability to cook. Sure, a person who is used to cooking a
particular ethnic cuisine and supplied with the proper ingredients might require
less training, but you're talking restaurant chains. They have their own
recipes, processes, ingredients and suppliers. A recent thread on buffets
indicated that many people consider them to be serving something much less than
top grade food.