Mike Tetrault

Default GENERAL TAO'S CHICKEN

Anyone have any successful recipes?

I have found LOTS of different recipes on various sites, but would like a
pre-tested and fairly simple one.

Thanks in advance!

BigDog

Mike Tetrault wrote in rec.food.cooking

> Anyone have any successful recipes?
>
> I have found LOTS of different recipes on various sites, but would like

> pre-tested and fairly simple one.
>
> Thanks in advance!

This is for those who truly love this dish. It makes about 4-6
servings.

The Sauce
In a large bowl mix all of the following:
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup water
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tsp minced ginger
¾ cup sugar
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar (you can use white vinegar)
½ cup rice wine or saki
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 tsp of MSG (optional)
Mix all of this together till sugar and cornstarch have dissolved.
Refrigerate till needed. Mix well before using as ingredients will
settle.

The Chicken
3 pounds of boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces and put in
a large bowl.
Add the following:
¼ cup soy sauce
black or white pepper to taste
1 egg beaten
Mix all the ingredients together till chicken is coated and then add:
½ to 1 cup of Cornstarch till chicken is evenly coated in thick batter
add a little cooking oil so that the chicken will separate easily
Deep fry the chicken pieces a small amount at a time in 350 degree oil
till crispy. The chicken will tend to stick together so you will need to
move it around in the hot oil while cooking to keep it separate.
Drain on paper towels and move to final step.

Put it all together
In a large pot or wok, add a little oil and stir fry the following:
1 cup of minced green onions (scallions) save some of the green tops for
garnish
2 dried Chinese hot peppers (chile japones work great)

Stir-fry the peppers and onions briefly then add the sauce we made
before. Bring the sauce to a boil stirring frequently. The sauce will
darken as it starts to thicken, this may take 10-15 minutes. Once it is
thickened put all the fried chicken pieces in and mix gently. Let the
sauce re-heat the chicken then you are ready to serve.
(You can use a little chicken broth to thin the sauce or use a little
cornstarch mixed in water to thicken the sauce as necessary).
Serve over rice with the tops of the green onions as garnish. Enjoy!

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Mr. Wizard

"BigDog" > wrote in message

> Serve over rice with the tops of the green onions as garnish. Enjoy!
>

> --
> BigDog
> To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Great recipe!
It was awesome!

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"BigDog" > wrote in message

<snip>
> ¼ cup rice wine vinegar (you can use white vinegar)
> ½ cup rice wine or saki

<snip>

I try very hard not to correct people but sometimes I just can't help
myself...it's sak*e*. People say, "Oh, I just spell it the way it's
pronounced" but it's not even pronounced "saki". The 'e' is pronounced like
the 'e' in 'end' or 'kelp'...

Recipe looks good, though. Once I finish eating all my leftover spaghetti
(a few more days, I think), I think I'll try it!

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

Chef R. W. Miller

10 oz Chicken Legs, deboned
2 c Soya Oil
1 tb Ginger Root, minced
2 Scallions, chopped
1 tb Garlic, minced
2 tb Dry Chili Pepper
2 tb Sugar
2 tb Soy Sauce
1 1/2 ts Vinegar
2 tb Cornstarch
1/4 c Chicken Stock
1 t Sesame Oil

-----MARINADE-----
1 Egg White
1 tb Cornstarch
1 tb Soy Sauce
---------------------------

For the best results use skinned deboned legs of capon. Cut the
chicken into pieces no larger than 1 inch square. Prepare marinade by
combining egg white, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a large
bowl. Add chicken pieces and set aside for two hours. In a deep pot,
heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. In a basket, or with a
slotted spoon, lower several marinated chicken pieces into the fat.
Fry about one or two minutes or until the chicken becomes crisp; test
for doneness before completing the batch. Continue until all pieces
have been fried. Set oil and cooked chicken pieces aside. In a wok,
on high heat, reheat two tablespoons of the reserved oil. Add
prepared ginger, scallions, garlic and chili peppers. Stir to prevent
burning. Add the fried chicken and stir quickly.Add sugar, soy sauce,
vinegar and cornstarch mixed with chicken stock. Remove from the heat
and stir sesame oil into the sauce. Spoon the mixture on to a hot
platter and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4.

Enjoy:
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels
"Mike Tetrault" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any successful recipes?
>
> I have found LOTS of different recipes on various sites, but would like a
> pre-tested and fairly simple one.
>
> Thanks in advance!

BigDog

Mr. Wizard wrote in rec.food.cooking

> Great recipe!
> It was awesome!

Thanks, I've found that one to be about the best
I've tried. And have a little sake (sp for Rona) with it.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
dwacon

Mr. Wizard wrote

> Great recipe!

Does addition of sesame seeds have anything more than an aesthetic appeal?

--
I made magic once.
Now the sofa is gone.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"BigDog" > wrote in message
> Mr. Wizard wrote in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Great recipe!
> > It was awesome!
> >

> Thanks, I've found that one to be about the best
> I've tried. And have a little sake (sp for Rona) with it.
>
> --
> BigDog
> To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Thanks :-).

Speaking of sake...I had some very nice sake the other day that was a bit
sweet. I liked it a lot, but I'm sure there are those who wouldn't. It
tasted a bit of flat 7-Up but not as sweet. Only 6-7% alcohol so one could
drink the whole bottle (about 500mL) and never notice!

rona

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."
--Bruce Graham

Mr. Wizard

"dwacon" > wrote in message
> Mr. Wizard wrote
>
> > Great recipe!

> Does addition of sesame seeds have anything more than an aesthetic appeal?

If you add sesame oil and seeds and back off on the pepper
you will have "Sesame Chicken".

Mike Tetrault

I tried this one over the long weekend...

I shall try it again with the following changes,

-flour the chicken instead, so its a little more crunchy
-increase (double?) the sugar, soy, vinegar, cornstarch, chicken stock to
get more of a sauce going....

It was nice and perfectly spicy and flavourful though...

"Chef R. W. Miller" > wrote in message
m...
> 10 oz Chicken Legs, deboned
> 2 c Soya Oil
> 1 tb Ginger Root, minced
> 2 Scallions, chopped
> 1 tb Garlic, minced
> 2 tb Dry Chili Pepper
> 2 tb Sugar
> 2 tb Soy Sauce
> 1 1/2 ts Vinegar
> 2 tb Cornstarch
> 1/4 c Chicken Stock
> 1 t Sesame Oil
>
> -----MARINADE-----
> 1 Egg White
> 1 tb Cornstarch
> 1 tb Soy Sauce
> ---------------------------
>
> For the best results use skinned deboned legs of capon. Cut the
> chicken into pieces no larger than 1 inch square. Prepare marinade by
> combining egg white, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a large
> bowl. Add chicken pieces and set aside for two hours. In a deep pot,
> heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. In a basket, or with a
> slotted spoon, lower several marinated chicken pieces into the fat.
> Fry about one or two minutes or until the chicken becomes crisp; test
> for doneness before completing the batch. Continue until all pieces
> have been fried. Set oil and cooked chicken pieces aside. In a wok,
> on high heat, reheat two tablespoons of the reserved oil. Add
> prepared ginger, scallions, garlic and chili peppers. Stir to prevent
> burning. Add the fried chicken and stir quickly.Add sugar, soy sauce,
> vinegar and cornstarch mixed with chicken stock. Remove from the heat
> and stir sesame oil into the sauce. Spoon the mixture on to a hot
> platter and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4.
>
> Enjoy:
> Chef R. W. Miller
> Marriott Resorts & Hotels
> "Mike Tetrault" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have any successful recipes?
> >
> > I have found LOTS of different recipes on various sites, but would like

> > pre-tested and fairly simple one.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Michel Boucher

Default General Tso's chicken was: GENERAL TAO'S CHICKEN

I don't mean to be picky...well, ok, I do mean to be picky. It is
neither here nor there to make minor typographical errors, but to
change the name of a recipe, even if by one letter, is to make it
unfindeable by any regular research means on the net, i.e. search
engines.

It's "General Tso's Chicken" (as transliterated in Wade-Giles) or
also "General Tsao's Chicken" (closer to the actual sound), but not
"General Tao's", or "General Taso's" or any other way I've seen it.

The recipe gets its name from Tso Tsungtang (again in Wade-Giles), a
Chinese general in the 19th century. Here is some background on the
dish and the man it is named after.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...9302-2002Apr16

Si non è vero è ben trovatto...

--