How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

Old 15-04-2005, 03:09 PM
avocado
Usenet poster

Default How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

Anyone know?

Old 15-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

avocado wrote:
Anyone know?

Depends a lot on which rice... but generally 1 cup raw equals 3 cups
cooked. The best you could do is before cooking weigh both the rice
and water, then extrapolate for evaporation... or simply run a test
batch. What are you preparing, I've never seen a recipe calling for
cooked rice by weight... and why would it matter if you cooked a little
extra, nothing costs less than rice, which is the primary reason so
many zillions subsist on it. Btw, I've never seen a recipe calling for
avocado by weight either, or sold by weight... you are either a troll
or dumber than a banana.

Sheldon

Old 15-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

avocado wrote:

Anyone know?

Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

If you need something more precise than that you are going
to have to experiment, or you can just cook a little extra
and find something to do with an ounce or two or cooked
rice.

Old 15-04-2005, 04:56 PM
avocado
Usenet poster

I'd rather be a troll than a stone jerk, thanks for your response.

Old 15-04-2005, 05:15 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Dave Smith wrote:
avocado wrote:

Anyone know?

Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

If you need something more precise than that you are going
to have to experiment, or you can just cook a little extra
and find something to do with an ounce or two or cooked
rice.

Cooked rice freezes perfectly well. No reason not to make a little extra.

Jill

Old 15-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

Dave Smith wrote:
avocado wrote:

Anyone know?

Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

You are truly a mental midget... the fact that rice absorbs water in no
way negates the weight of the rice.... what a jerk... Dave, go jump in
a lake, acccording to you the world would be rid of 200lbs of shit.

Rice does NOT weigh a lot less than water... a cup of raw white rice
weighs 7 ounces, one ounce less than a cup of water (1 cup of water
happens to weigh 8 ozs). Cooking 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water does
NOT cancel out any of the weight of the rice (7 ozs is constant)...
only that water which evaporates is lost. But there are so many
variables, type of rice, type of pot/lid, temperature and time
cooked... the only way to know with any degree of acuracy is to weigh
AFTER cooking... cook a little extra and weigh after cooking. But then
we need to know if that rice is weighed immediately or after it cools.
I'm still waiting for this recipe that calls for weighing cooked
rice... must be for the birds.

Sheldon

Old 15-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Gregory Toomey
Usenet poster

avocado wrote:

Anyone know?

About 170g.

gtoomey
Old 15-04-2005, 06:21 PM
George
Usenet poster

Sheldon wrote:

I'm still waiting for this recipe that calls for weighing cooked
rice... must be for the birds.

Sheldon

Like these?

Fried Rice with Salted Fish

Ingredients
# 400g leftover cooked rice, kept overnight
# 75g prawns, shelled
# 50g salted fish, chopped and soaked
# 2 tbsp frozen green peas
# 2 eggs
# 3 tbsp oil
# 1 tsp sesame oil

Seasoning:
# 1/2 tsp salt
# 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
# 1/4 tsp sugar
# 1 tsp light soy sauce
# Dash of pepper

Garnishing:
# 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
# 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
# 1 tbsp chopped red chilli

Method
Heat oil in a wok until hot, fry salted fish until crispy and golden.
Dish out and set aside.

Heat remaining oil and add in sesame oil. Add prawns and fry until
heated through. Put in the rice and toss briefly and add in seasoning.
Stir-fry well to combine.

Make a well in the centre of the rice. Beat in the eggs. Add a dash of
pepper and cover the eggs with the rice for one to two minutes.

Toss and fry rice well until well heated through. Should it be a bit too
dry, add a little more oil to glaze. Add in the peas and toss well to
combine. Put back the fried salted fish to mix.

Incredible Pork Fried Rice

Serves 4 Prep: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes

2 OXO chicken stock cubes
450g/1lb pork fillet
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into short strips
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g/7oz spring cabbage, shredded
400g frozen cooked rice or precooked rice
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (optional)

# Cut the pork into thin strips. Put the soy sauce and honey into a
bowl, add the pork and turn to coat all over.
# Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, or wok.
When hot add the pork and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until browned all
over. Remove from the pan onto a plate.
# Heat the rest of the oil to the pan, add the pepper, spring onions and
garlic and toss over a high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the shredded
cabbage and toss together for a further 2-3 minutes.
# Crumble in the 2 chicken stock cubes, add 4 tbsp water then the rice
and return the pork to the pan, cook together for 3-4 minutes until the
rice is hot.
# Serve with a scattering of sesame seeds if wished.
Old 15-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

George wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Those are called "Anal Fried Rice". No one weighs ingredients for
fried rice... I got your runny hunny.

Sheldon

Old 15-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Sheldon wrote:

avocado wrote:

Anyone know?

Depends a lot on which rice... but generally 1 cup raw equals 3 cups
cooked. The best you could do is before cooking weigh both the rice
and water, then extrapolate for evaporation...

"The best..." Bwah. "...extrapolate for evaporation..." That's a lot
like, um, guessing.

or simply run a test
batch. What are you preparing, I've never seen a recipe calling for
cooked rice by weight...

....and Shecky the Wizard has seen *every* recipe on earth...

and why would it matter if you cooked a little
extra, nothing costs less than rice, which is the primary reason so
many zillions subsist on it. Btw, I've never seen a recipe calling for
avocado by weight either, or sold by weight... you are either a troll
or dumber than a banana.

Or someone who doesn't use the normal American volumetric approach.
Anyone from virtually any other country on earth weighs recipe
ingredients for the sake of precision and consistency. Just like
professionals in the U.S.

But what would our resident U.S. Navy cook (retarded) know about
precision or professionalism?

Pastorio
Old 15-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Sheldon wrote:
George wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Speaks for itself, no...?

Bob
Old 15-04-2005, 08:26 PM
George
Usenet poster

Sheldon wrote:

Those are called "Anal Fried Rice". No one weighs ingredients for
fried rice... I got your runny hunny.

Sheldon

There are lots of people who follow recipes. That isn't my style but I
might do it the first time to get a feel for something I have never done
before. Following a recipe or asking questions when something is not
clear doesn't make someone "dumber than a banana..."

My guess is that the OP probably never made a dish requiring cooked rice
before, found a recipe that required a defined amount of cooked rice and
was trying to work it backwards to determine how much rice to cook.
Old 15-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Holy cow NancyBoy, you are such a ****ing genius. Did you miss the word
"approximately"? One cup of rice with 2 cups water makes approximately 3
cups cooked rice. Using your 7 oz. constant for rice, that would mean
that you are starting off with 23 oz. total. The OP needs 400 grams, a
little less than a pound. That 1 cup of rice I suggested would provide him
with the 400 grams that he needs and he will have a few oz. leftover, as I
suggested. No one said anything about the weight of the rice disappearing.

Being such a professional cook, I am sure that you realize that the amount
of rice in a recipe is not required to be exact, and if the OP thought that
it looked like a little too much for the recipe he could leave a little
out. But what he wanted to know was how much rice he needed to cook, and
it looks like 1 cup is going to give him enough.

Old 15-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

George wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Those are called "Anal Fried Rice". No one weighs ingredients for
fried rice... I got your runny hunny.

Sheldon

There are lots of people who follow recipes. That isn't my style but

might do it the first time to get a feel for something I have never

done
before. Following a recipe or asking questions when something is not
clear doesn't make someone "dumber than a banana..."

My guess is that the OP probably never made a dish requiring cooked

rice
before, found a recipe that required a defined amount of cooked rice

and
was trying to work it backwards to determine how much rice to cook.

You don't get it. For novice cooks it's even more important for
recipes to indicate the quantity of rice by volume... makes as much
sense for a recipe to indicate a pound of cooked rice as it is to
indicate a pound of cooked onions. Recipes are much easier to follow
and will be more likely to yield predictable results when ingredients
are listed in *standardized* format. For cooked rice the standard
recipe format is to indicate volume, not weight, because a good recipe
does not assume various cooks all prepare rice the same. When I come
across a recipe that lists a major ingredient in non-standard format I
deem it suspect in all of it's parts and discard it. Anyway, for fried
rice there is no reason to measure anything... you mean to say if it's
pork fried rice and calls for 4 ounces diced roast pork and your piece
of roast pork weighs 5 ounces you are going to toss that one measly
ounce... and the same with the rice and all other ingredients... normal
brained cooks don't cook back asswards. You are obviously one of those
novice cooks, extremely novice.

Sheldon

Old 15-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Sheldon

[...]