FoodBanter.com

-   -   Does Dry Rice Go Bad? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/59031-does-dry-rice-go.html)

[email protected] 14-04-2005 02:03 AM

Does Dry Rice Go Bad?

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Sheldon 14-04-2005 02:15 AM

wrote:
> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

If properly stored milled rice will last indefinitely; kept dry and
prevented from absorbing odor. I suggest you transfer it into a sealed
glass container. Rice should always be transfered to a sealed glass
container as soon as it arrives home, as should all dry staples

zxcvbob 14-04-2005 02:15 AM

wrote:
> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
first.)

Best regards,
Bob

kilikini 14-04-2005 02:18 AM

zxcvbob wrote:
> wrote:
>> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?
>>

> Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
> White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
> first.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

kili

Rusty 14-04-2005 02:28 AM

On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, " >
wrote:

>I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

From the Kusha Rice company website:

http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html

"STORAGE
Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
container, however you may if desired...."

"SHELF LIFE
Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
indefinitely, please see storage information above...."

Rusty

John Bonnett 14-04-2005 02:37 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Open the bag and find out. Is it grey, green or fuzzy ? Does it smell OK ?
Are there
little wevil carcases scattered through out it ? If not is is probably
quite edible.

John<==take a chance...Columbus did !

Peter Aitken 14-04-2005 03:06 AM

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?
>>

> Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice. White
> rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes first.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

It never goes bad but it does slowly lose quality.

--
Peter Aitken

Always More Questions 14-04-2005 05:44 AM

In article >,
Rusty > wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, " >
> wrote:
>
> >I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> >rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

> From the Kusha Rice company website:
>
> http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html
>

> "STORAGE
> Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
> agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
> refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
> warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
> container, however you may if desired...."
>
> "SHELF LIFE
> Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
> indefinitely, please see storage information above...."
>

> Rusty

Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
fridge

zxcvbob 14-04-2005 05:48 AM

wrote:

>>>I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>>>rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?
>>>

>>Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
>>White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
>>first.)
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.
>
> kili

How could you tell? Seriously.

Bob

Rusty 14-04-2005 06:27 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:44:37 -0700, Always More Questions
> wrote:

>> From the Kusha Rice company website:
>>
>> http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html
>>

>> "STORAGE
>> Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
>> agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
>> refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
>> warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
>> container, however you may if desired...."
>>
>> "SHELF LIFE
>> Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
>> indefinitely, please see storage information above...."
>>

>Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>fridge

Yes. From the same website:

"FREEZER
You can freeze rice before or after cooking. Just be sure to place in
an airtight container to prevent frost from forming on it."

Rusty

jacqui{JB} 14-04-2005 06:36 AM

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

> How could you tell? Seriously.

I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale and a
bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
-j

aem 14-04-2005 07:15 AM

Always More Questions wrote:

> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not
> in the fridge

Get serious. Rice is cheap worldwide. If you eat it so rarely why
would you want it in your freezer? Every other vernal equinox go buy
some and cook it up. -aem

kilikini 14-04-2005 09:20 AM

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>> I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

>> How could you tell? Seriously.

> I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
> and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
> -j

Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
whole container out. It was nasty.

kili

Melba's Jammin' 14-04-2005 01:49 PM

In article om>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> > rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

> Rice should always be transfered to a sealed glass
> container as soon as it arrives home, as should all dry staples

Hear, hear! I especially like that it's easy to see the contents of the
jars and know how much I have on hand.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

WinCE_Newbie@no_email.com 14-04-2005 04:46 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:20:11 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jacqui{JB} wrote:

>>> How could you tell? Seriously.

>> I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
>> and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
>> -j

>Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
>whole container out. It was nasty.
>
>kili

I've experienced the same thing. It didn't take five years either. I
bought several bags of rice on sale and IIRC, I only had the last bag
for less than a year.

kilikini 14-04-2005 04:46 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article om>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>>> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

>> Rice should always be transfered to a sealed glass
>> container as soon as it arrives home, as should all dry staples

> Hear, hear! I especially like that it's easy to see the contents of
> the jars and know how much I have on hand.

It was too humid in Hawaii to do that; all dry goods had to be kept in
ziplock bags in the fridge or you'd have bugs galore within a month.
Florida's like that too, so everything goes right in the fridge. Cuts down
severly on space, though, but whatcha gonna do?

kili

Kate Connally 14-04-2005 07:32 PM

kilikini wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> >> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?
> >>

> > Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
> > White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
> > first.)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

Well, it shouldn't get rancid as there is no fat in it,
and I don't know about stale, unless you mean very dry so
that it takes forever to cook. I've had rice that wouldn't
cook up tender in the normal amount of time. I assumed it
was older and dried out more. The same thing can happen
with dried beans - the older they are the harder they are
to cook. Sometimes impossible. Try some of the rice
and see what happens.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Always More Questions 15-04-2005 05:42 AM

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Always More Questions wrote:
> >
> > Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not
> > in the fridge

> Get serious. Rice is cheap worldwide. If you eat it so rarely why
> would you want it in your freezer? Every other vernal equinox go buy
> some and cook it up. -aem

Cheap is cheap, but waste is waste. I buy a big bag of it and use it up
in about 6 months. Don't want it bug infested or going bad.

[email protected] 15-04-2005 04:56 PM

Always More Questions > wrote:

> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
> fridge

Absolutely. I guy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
plastic lined so there is no frost issue.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Peter Aitken 15-04-2005 05:33 PM

> wrote in message ...
> Always More Questions > wrote:
>
>> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>> fridge

> Absolutely. I guy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
> the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
> a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
> problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
> a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
> but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
> plastic lined so there is no frost issue.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Freezing raw rice is overkill in the extreme. It's like freezing canned
soup. No point to it. Dry rice keeps fine in a closed bag if kept in a cool
and pest-free location such as the back of a closet. We do it regularly with
about 6 varieties. Do not buy more than you can use in 6 months or at most a
year.

--
Peter Aitken

Bob (this one) 15-04-2005 08:04 PM

Peter Aitken wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
>
>>Always More Questions > wrote:
>>

>>>Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>>>fridge

>>Absolutely. I buy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
>>the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
>>a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
>>problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
>>a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
>>but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
>>plastic lined so there is no frost issue.
>>
>>Bill Ranck
>>Blacksburg, Va.

> Freezing raw rice is overkill in the extreme. It's like freezing canned
> soup. No point to it. Dry rice keeps fine in a closed bag if kept in a cool
> and pest-free location such as the back of a closet. We do it regularly with
> about 6 varieties. Do not buy more than you can use in 6 months or at most a
> year.

I think Bill's application is different; commercial rather than
residential. Much like when I bought exotic grains for my restaurants. I
found that they brought their own critters with them if I left them in
my storeroom. So we stored them in food-safe bags in our freezers. No
critters. No rancidity. No deterioration.

Pastorio