Sheldon

tuppy wrote:
> > Actually the truth beknown YOU are who chose to make this

personal...
> > two days ago you couldn't resist taking this discussion out of the
> > public arena because it permitted YOU to appear as you really

are... a
> > LOSER and a COWARD... sending me intimidating email wins you no
> > argument, merely shows YOUR true colors, you JEW HATER. I'm done

with
> > you, tubby.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Yup..I hit the wrong button but sent the very same email to the

group, now
> didn't I? Coward?? If you say so. Jew hater? Again, an example of

you
> not knowing what you are talking about. Shel the hate monger. Your

done
> with me? Oh that hurts....LOL.

The email you sent me didn't show up here so who knows. And anyway,
posting copies of personal email is offensive, if it's of a vituperate
nature like the one you sent me that's even more offensive.

And I never address argumentive posts by email, not ever... wanna
argue, do it here out in the open where everyone can see, not behind
closed doors like a coward. And I never post private email... but at
least you admit to sending it.

Sheldon

Margaret Suran

Steve Pope wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>If the deli were a kosher one, you would certainly know it. First of
>>all, there would be a certificate in the window, signed by a rabbi,
>>which would attest to that fact. Also, the place would be closed on
>>all major Jewish holidays and every week from a couple of hours before
>>sundown on Friday, until either an hour after sundown on Saturday
>>night, or until Sunday.

> Except for 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC, which is certified as
> kosher yet stays open seven days a week.
>
> Steve

You will not see any obviously Orthodox Jews eating at the 2nd Ave.
Deli. They have (or had) a Succah on the sidewalk for Succoth, but
you only see regular diners in it, not the ones traditionally dressed,
with sidelocks over their ears and under their head coverings and
Tsitses (sp?) hanging down from under the shirt or jacket. Lately,
there seems to be more compromise with some Orthodox Jews when it
comes to Kosher Laws, but the really Orthodox ones have become ever
more adherent to those laws.

This is something so intimate and personal, I feel weird even
discussing it. Not having grown up in a kosher household, I do not
consider myself qualified to discuss it. Every time I do, I find out
the next day, that I have been mostly wrong. (

Sheldon

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Margaret Suran > wrote:
> >

> >>If the deli were a kosher one, you would certainly know it. First

of
> >>all, there would be a certificate in the window, signed by a rabbi,

> >>which would attest to that fact. Also, the place would be closed

on
> >>all major Jewish holidays and every week from a couple of hours

before
> >>sundown on Friday, until either an hour after sundown on Saturday
> >>night, or until Sunday.

> > Except for 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC, which is certified as
> > kosher yet stays open seven days a week.
> >
> > Steve

> You will not see any obviously Orthodox Jews eating at the 2nd Ave.
> Deli. They have (or had) a Succah on the sidewalk for Succoth, but
> you only see regular diners in it, not the ones traditionally

dressed,
> with sidelocks over their ears and under their head coverings and
> Tsitses (sp?) hanging down from under the shirt or jacket. Lately,
> there seems to be more compromise with some Orthodox Jews when it
> comes to Kosher Laws, but the really Orthodox ones have become ever
> more adherent to those laws.
>
> This is something so intimate and personal, I feel weird even
> discussing it. Not having grown up in a kosher household, I do not
> consider myself qualified to discuss it. Every time I do, I find out

> the next day, that I have been mostly wrong. (

Don't worry about it, Margaret... opine away... you won't find two
rabbis who will agree on anything. Questioning everythinhg (but, why)
is the entire basis of Judaism.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Katra wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > > oups.com...

> > > Yes. This is the important point Sheldon. There are many "kinds"

of
> > > salami.....the Hungarian varities being my favorites......I now

> > gather that
> > > "Kosher Salami" is a particular type of salami, with, as you

mention,
> > > slightly different variations in seasoning depending on the

maker. It
> > could
> > > be made under non-kosher conditions as well as a real kosher

product.
> > The
> > > rest of your post seems to be quite sensible too.
> > >
> > > Charliam

> > Yes, I suppose one could make non-kosher "kosher salami", but I've
> > never seen any sold commercially. But I'm sure many people make
> > "kosher salami" at home but don't use kosher meat or follow any

laws of
> > kasruth. There's a recipe for "kosher style salami" in "Great

Sausage
> > Rcipes and Sausage Meat Curing"
> > by Rytek Kutas... pg 216.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Is your salami Kosher Shel'? ;-D
> --
> K.

Um, will the next pope be Catholic?

Sheldon

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:

> > of

> > mention,

> > maker. It

> > product.

> > laws of

> > Sausage

> > > Is your salami Kosher Shel'? ;-D
> > > --
> > > K.

> > Nah, it's seen too much porking!
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Ooh that was BAD!!! <lol>

You two are both quite the DIRTY birds...!!!

;---p

--
Best
Greg

Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
> > Steve Pope wrote:

> of

> on

> before
> > >

> > > Except for 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC, which is certified as
> > > kosher yet stays open seven days a week.
> > >
> > > Steve

> > You will not see any obviously Orthodox Jews eating at the 2nd Ave.
> > Deli. They have (or had) a Succah on the sidewalk for Succoth, but
> > you only see regular diners in it, not the ones traditionally

> dressed,
> > with sidelocks over their ears and under their head coverings and
> > Tsitses (sp?) hanging down from under the shirt or jacket. Lately,
> > there seems to be more compromise with some Orthodox Jews when it
> > comes to Kosher Laws, but the really Orthodox ones have become ever
> > more adherent to those laws.
> >
> > This is something so intimate and personal, I feel weird even
> > discussing it. Not having grown up in a kosher household, I do not
> > consider myself qualified to discuss it. Every time I do, I find out

> > the next day, that I have been mostly wrong. (

> Don't worry about it, Margaret... opine away... you won't find two
> rabbis who will agree on anything. Questioning everythinhg (but, why)
> is the entire basis of Judaism.

I agree, and the Jewish tradition of learning and knowledge is what
helped me to realize how bogus Judaism and the other organized religions
really are. I was taught to question, but the Rabbi's were never able
to answer my questions to my satisfaction.
Scotty

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even forty
> years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every one
> of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll only
> believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me what's a
> "toot".
>
> Sheldon

From somewhere on the web: A "toot" is made of a square of waxed,
mustard-color paper, which is twisted
into a cone, filled with mustard and then folded shut.

Scott.

Steve Pope

Scotty > wrote:

> From somewhere on the web: A "toot" is made of a square of waxed,
> mustard-color paper, which is twisted into a cone, filled with
> mustard and then folded shut.

I am unhappy that I never visited an Automat when they
still existed.

S.

Sheldon

Scotty wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

> > You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even

forty
> > years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every

one
> > of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll

only
> > believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me

what's a
> > "toot".
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> From somewhere on the web: A "toot" is made of a square of waxed,
> mustard-color paper, which is twisted
> into a cone, filled with mustard and then folded shut.
>
> Scott.

'Zactly! Draw that man a Knick (Ruppert Knickerbocker).

And don't forget to vote for Miss Rheingold.

http://www.beerhistory.com/library/h...heingold.shtml

Sheldon

Charles Gifford

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> And don't forget to vote for Miss Rheingold.
>
> http://www.beerhistory.com/library/h...heingold.shtml
>
> Sheldon

Man! That brings back memories! Thanks for the link Sheldon!

Charliam

Sheldon

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > And don't forget to vote for Miss Rheingold.
> >
> > http://www.beerhistory.com/library/h...heingold.shtml
> >
> > Sheldon

> Man! That brings back memories! Thanks for the link Sheldon!
>
> Charliam

It's a goodie, a real brew lover can spend weeks there.;

Sheldon

Gregory Morrow

Sheldon wrote:

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > >
> > > And don't forget to vote for Miss Rheingold.
> > >
> > > http://www.beerhistory.com/library/h...heingold.shtml
> > >
> > > Sheldon

> > Man! That brings back memories! Thanks for the link Sheldon!
> >
> > Charliam

> It's a goodie, a real brew lover can spend weeks there.;

I wish they'd bring back Miss Turnstiles...

--
Best
Greg

tuppy wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > > oups.com...

> > > Yes. This is the important point Sheldon. There are many "kinds"

of
> > > salami.....the Hungarian varities being my favorites......I now

> > gather that
> > > "Kosher Salami" is a particular type of salami, with, as you

mention,
> > > slightly different variations in seasoning depending on the

maker. It
> > could
> > > be made under non-kosher conditions as well as a real kosher

product.
> > The
> > > rest of your post seems to be quite sensible too.
> > >
> > > Charliam

> > Yes, I suppose one could make non-kosher "kosher salami", but I've
> > never seen any sold commercially. But I'm sure many people make
> > "kosher salami" at home but don't use kosher meat or follow any

laws of
> > kasruth. There's a recipe for "kosher style salami" in "Great

Sausage
> > Rcipes and Sausage Meat Curing"
> > by Rytek Kutas... pg 216.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> And while I am really not trying to be a commercial for Vienna

products here
> in Chicago, I believe this is exactly what you are talking about

apropos to
> their salami.

Recently, Chicago public TV aired a show about two local products --
Vienna Beef Hot Dogs and Jay's Potato Chips. If I remember right,
Vienna Beef started out Kosher, although they are not now Kosher. (And
Jay's was originally named Japp's or Mrs Japps, but they changed their
name after Pearl Harbor. Me I still miss Wise potato chips).

-bwg

-bwg

Stan Horwitz

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> Recently, Chicago public TV aired a show about two local products --
> Vienna Beef Hot Dogs and Jay's Potato Chips. If I remember right,
> Vienna Beef started out Kosher, although they are not now Kosher. (And
> Jay's was originally named Japp's or Mrs Japps, but they changed their
> name after Pearl Harbor. Me I still miss Wise potato chips).

Wise potato chips are not available in the Chicago area? I don't eat
potato chips much, but I am pretty sure Wise potato chips are still
sold here in the Philadelphia area.
tuppy

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> tuppy wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> of
> > > gather that

> mention,

> maker. It
> > > could

> product.
> > > The

> > > Yes, I suppose one could make non-kosher "kosher salami", but I've
> > > never seen any sold commercially. But I'm sure many people make
> > > "kosher salami" at home but don't use kosher meat or follow any

> laws of
> > > kasruth. There's a recipe for "kosher style salami" in "Great

> Sausage
> > > Rcipes and Sausage Meat Curing"
> > > by Rytek Kutas... pg 216.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > And while I am really not trying to be a commercial for Vienna

> products here
> > in Chicago, I believe this is exactly what you are talking about

> apropos to
> > their salami.

> Recently, Chicago public TV aired a show about two local products --
> Vienna Beef Hot Dogs and Jay's Potato Chips. If I remember right,
> Vienna Beef started out Kosher, although they are not now Kosher. (And
> Jay's was originally named Japp's or Mrs Japps, but they changed their
> name after Pearl Harbor. Me I still miss Wise potato chips).
>
> -bwg
>
> -bwg

There are many food shows that feature regional specialties and when they
come to Chicago, it is Vienna Beef hot dogs and nobody elses. It is funny
though that when these shows come to Chicago for Italian Beef or pan pizza,
a whole new world opens up.

Thanks for the URL. It's clear that it isnt distributred here. I may
have seen a small bag (singfle serving size) two or three times in the
almost 30 years I've been living in Chicago. But that's it.

-bwg

Ranee Mueller

In article . net>,
"tuppy" > wrote:

> As a side note, Koshering meat and the way meat is prepared in Islam,
> called Hallal are not the same and the dietary rules for both a
> significantly different. While both abstain from any contact with
> pork products, Hallal allows for the consumption of shellfish, fish
> without any scales, and preparation of meat with milk.

This is also not uniform, as the Shiites do not eat shellfish, or
fish without scales. I'm not sure about the dairy and meat.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

salami A Moose In Love General Cooking 0 29-04-2010 03:08 AM
Hopefully last word on Kosher Salt (difference between Sea Salt and Kosher) [email protected] General Cooking 17 05-05-2009 12:51 PM
Safe to dry out kosher salami at room termperature? [email protected] Preserving 5 15-03-2006 09:34 PM
Salami Tampa Florida General Cooking 10 15-08-2004 08:50 AM