Ed

Default Dutch Oven to use on Propane Stove

Hello,

I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2 to
4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!

Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.

Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
have good heat distribution?

We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Ed Self

Wayne Boatwright

"Ed" > wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail
> projects. We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30
> people for 2 to 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven
> for tasty baked items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>
> Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef
> stove that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11
> LBS, although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>
> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+
> people) that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was
> imagining some kind of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our
> two burner propane stove, with a lid to circulate heat above the food
> for baking purposes. I can't seem to find anything except overs that
> are round and/or designed to be used over fire. Most dutch ovens seem
> to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron or aluminum). Are there
> any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still have good heat
> distribution?
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large
> kettles that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Ed Self

If you goal is baking, why not consider a "camp oven"? They are designed
specifically for baking, can be used on a camp stove, are light weight,
and fold flat. See the equipment at:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/b_camp-ovens_22689254

I have used coast iron dutch ovens for outdoor baking, but that clearly
is not what you want for your purposes.

HTH
Wayne

Penny S

Ed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large
> kettles that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Ed Self

there's a backpacker's oven,
http://www.bakepacker.com/

Strider

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 GMT, "Ed" >
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
>We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2 to
>4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
>items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>
>Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
>that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
>although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>
>Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
>that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
>of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
>with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
>seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
>over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
>or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
>have good heat distribution?
>
>We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
>that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
>Any suggestions are welcome!
>
>Ed Self

Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?

Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
top.

I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.

Strider
Jim Dauven

Use the Dutch Oven for what it was designed for. Place the Dutch
oven in the coals of a fire. Heap coals on top of it and bake away.

If you want a stove top oven, coleman makes one that isn't worth
a crap. I improved on the coleman design by making one of thicker
metal inner walls, and placing pumice (large grains of volcanic sand)
between the thicker and inner walls and thin outer wall. The walls
are 3/8 inch thick held apart by little 1/4 inch dia stand offs
internally threaded for a #10 screw. The bottom is made from a
piece of 1/4 inch steel plate. The thing is about 5 times
heavier than the coleman oven. However the plus side is that it
takes 1/4 the fuel to heat up and holds the heat much better. In
fact you have to turn the heat on the stove top down to keep the
thing from over heating when baking.

The Independent

In rec.food.cooking Ed > wrote:

> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
> over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
> or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> have good heat distribution?

I don't think you'll find anything that fits over two burners, but if
you buy two smaller dutch ovens or large pots, you should get by fine.
Check army/navy or restaurant supply stores in your area to see what
they have available.

Kamus of Kadizhar

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 +0000, Ed wrote:

> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
> over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
> or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> have good heat distribution?
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
> that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.

There's always the 'hunley' solution: take an old tank (propane would
work fine) and cut it in half lengthwise. Weld a hinge on one side so you
can open it. Put racks on the lower half. Weld some feet to it so it
doesn't roll. Place it in a fire or on top of your stove with a
thermometer in the lid.

A half-decent welder can make one of these in an hour or less - you're not
going for beauty.... If you tip him/her well - or invite him/her to the
party, s/he might even weld a handle on there for you ;-)

Size the 'oven' as you need: a 6 gal. tank might make some muffins, a 500
gal. tank will do half a pig. You probably want something in between.

Since you already haul full propane tanks in, an empty one would be a
cinch.

(It's called the hunley because if you use a 500 gal. propane tank, it
looks just like a miniature Hunley. There's even a guy here who has one
with a boat prop on one end. The 500 gal. size works best when towed by a
large Ford pickup, though.)

--Kamus

--
o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
| May God's dog serenade your campfire, may the rattlesnake and
o | the screech owl amuse your reveries, may the Great Sun dazzle
>[] | your eyes by day and the Great Bear watch over you at night.

/\ |
\ \ | - Edward Abbey, Beyond the Wall

Gary S.

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:58:14 -0700, Jim Dauven >
wrote:

>If you want a stove top oven, coleman makes one that isn't worth
>a crap. I improved on the coleman design by making one of thicker
>metal inner walls, and placing pumice (large grains of volcanic sand)
>between the thicker and inner walls and thin outer wall. The walls
>are 3/8 inch thick held apart by little 1/4 inch dia stand offs
>internally threaded for a #10 screw. The bottom is made from a
>piece of 1/4 inch steel plate. The thing is about 5 times
>heavier than the coleman oven. However the plus side is that it
>takes 1/4 the fuel to heat up and holds the heat much better. In
>fact you have to turn the heat on the stove top down to keep the
>thing from over heating when baking.

Any pix or sketches available of your creation?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
The Ancient One

"Jim Dauven" > wrote in message
> Use the Dutch Oven for what it was designed for. Place the Dutch
> oven in the coals of a fire. Heap coals on top of it and bake away.
>
> If you want a stove top oven, coleman makes one that isn't worth
> a crap.

I agree it is very flimsy, you really gotta handle it with kids gloves, but
it does do a good baking job. I would never recomend it for a large group
though, one or two people at most. I to would like to see your improvments.

I improved on the coleman design by making one of thicker
> metal inner walls, and placing pumice (large grains of volcanic sand)
> between the thicker and inner walls and thin outer wall. The walls
> are 3/8 inch thick held apart by little 1/4 inch dia stand offs
> internally threaded for a #10 screw. The bottom is made from a
> piece of 1/4 inch steel plate. The thing is about 5 times
> heavier than the coleman oven. However the plus side is that it
> takes 1/4 the fuel to heat up and holds the heat much better. In
> fact you have to turn the heat on the stove top down to keep the
> thing from over heating when baking.
>
> The Independent
>

> Strider wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 GMT, "Ed" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail

projects.
> > >We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for

> > >4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> > >items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
> > >
> > >Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef

stove
> > >that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> > >although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
> > >
> > >Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+

people)
> > >that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some

kind
> > >of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

stove,
> > >with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I

can't
> > >seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

used
> > >over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast

iron
> > >or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but

still
> > >have good heat distribution?
> > >
> > >We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large

kettles
> > >that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions are welcome!
> > >
> > >Ed Self
> > >

> > Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?
> >
> > Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
> > to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
> > top.
> >
> > I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.
> >
> > Strider

Strider

wrote:

>Use the Dutch Oven for what it was designed for. Place the Dutch
>oven in the coals of a fire. Heap coals on top of it and bake away.
>
>If you want a stove top oven, coleman makes one that isn't worth
>a crap. I improved on the coleman design by making one of thicker
>metal inner walls, and placing pumice (large grains of volcanic sand)
>between the thicker and inner walls and thin outer wall. The walls
>are 3/8 inch thick held apart by little 1/4 inch dia stand offs
>internally threaded for a #10 screw. The bottom is made from a
>piece of 1/4 inch steel plate. The thing is about 5 times
>heavier than the coleman oven. However the plus side is that it
>takes 1/4 the fuel to heat up and holds the heat much better. In
>fact you have to turn the heat on the stove top down to keep the
>thing from over heating when baking.
>
>The Independent

Ed might wat to hire on a couple of more llamas if he makes one of
these.

Strider

>Strider wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 GMT, "Ed" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
>> >We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2 to
>> >4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
>> >items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>> >
>> >Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
>> >that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
>> >although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>> >
>> >Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
>> >that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
>> >of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
>> >with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
>> >seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
>> >over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
>> >or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
>> >have good heat distribution?
>> >
>> >We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
>> >that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions are welcome!
>> >
>> >Ed Self
>> >

>> Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?
>>
>> Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
>> to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
>> top.
>>
>> I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.
>>
>> Strider

The Watcher

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:54:16 GMT, Strider > wrote:

(snip)
>Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?
>
>Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
>to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
>top.
>
>I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.

I do that regularly when camping, but I bring extra metal pie plates for the
job. I take the large pot and put a pie plate face down on the bottom for a
spacer. Then I put a pie plate on top of that one with the biscuits(what I
usually bake in it). You can stack more on top if you want, but I haven't had
much success stacking them. I'm working on an improved version with a wire rack
for the pot. I like using the big pot because I often bring it camping anyway.
Strider

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:17:09 GMT, (The Watcher)
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:54:16 GMT, Strider > wrote:
>
>(snip)
>>Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?
>>
>>Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
>>to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
>>top.
>>
>>I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.

>I do that regularly when camping, but I bring extra metal pie plates for the
>job. I take the large pot and put a pie plate face down on the bottom for a
>spacer. Then I put a pie plate on top of that one with the biscuits(what I
>usually bake in it). You can stack more on top if you want, but I haven't had
>much success stacking them. I'm working on an improved version with a wire rack
>for the pot. I like using the big pot because I often bring it camping anyway.

I use a Sierra cup much the same way. It yields one good sized
buscuit, fine for me, but I don't know how this fellow is going to
feed 20 - 30 people.

Maybe a pot big enough for several stacked a muffin pans?

Strider
Dan Levy

"Ed" > wrote in message

> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

used
> over fire.

How about a suitably sized, oval enameled steel turkey roaster.

Strider

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:35:10 -0500, "Dan Levy" >
wrote:

>"Ed" > wrote in message
>
>> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
>> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
>> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

>stove,
>> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
>> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

>used
>> over fire.

>How about a suitably sized, oval enameled steel turkey roaster.

What a great idea!

I have one of these in aluminum. Might fit over both burners on the
Coleman.

I wonder if a meat thermometer could be mounted through the lid?

Strider
Sheryl Rosen

in article ylYbc.74260$JO3.40249@attbi_s04, Ed at
wrote on 4/4/04 2:20 PM:

> Hello,
>
> I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
> We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2 to
> 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>
> Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
> that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>
> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
> over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
> or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> have good heat distribution?
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
> that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Ed Self

What about those speckled pans they sell at hardware stores, WalMart, etc.
They are usually black with white speckles, or sometimes blue with white
speciles, enamel over some sort of metal. They are not expensive, usually
come with covers, and although lightweight, they work very well.

SteveB

"Ed" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
> We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2

> 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>
> Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
> that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>
> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

used
> over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast

iron
> or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> have good heat distribution?
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large

kettles
> that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Ed Self

A dutch oven cooks using coals. A cast iron kettle uses a fuel source.
Thin pots are called pots.

Get a Lodge dutch oven to bake in. Nothing will work as well, unless you
want to monitor it every moment during cooking. If you want a cast iron
kettle, buy a cast iron kettle. If you want a pot, buy a pot. If you want
a cheap cheesy camp oven, buy a cheap cheesy camp oven. If you want a cast
iron dutch oven that will bake like an oven, buy a cast iron Lodge.

Everything else is just junk.

Steve

Paul Wake

Dunno about a big, two burner-covering box, but you might look at Camp
Chef's "Ultimate Dutch Oven," which has (at least in the cast iron
variety; I'm not sure if their aluminum ovens are also built this way) a
convection cone rising up in the middle that transfers some stove heat
into the interior (holes on the top of the cone). You'd need a couple.

Camp Chef isn't much good for backpacking, but for car camping, Scout
camps, etc. their products cannot be beat. If you can afford them;
definitely not Coleman cheap.

--
Pull MYFINGER to e-mail me
http://www.xmission.com/~wake/
Nate

Have any of you guys tried the Cobb BBQ / Convection Oven
looks pretty good.

http://www.cobbq.com

"SteveB" > wrote in message news:<4xkcc.122058$Bg.115154@fed1read03>...
> "Ed" > wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
> > We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2

> > 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> > items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
> >
> > Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
> > that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> > although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
> >
> > Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> > that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> > of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

> stove,
> > with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> > seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

> used
> > over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast

> iron
> > or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> > have good heat distribution?
> >
> > We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large

> kettles
> > that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome!
> >
> > Ed Self
> >

> A dutch oven cooks using coals. A cast iron kettle uses a fuel source.
> Thin pots are called pots.
>
> Get a Lodge dutch oven to bake in. Nothing will work as well, unless you
> want to monitor it every moment during cooking. If you want a cast iron
> kettle, buy a cast iron kettle. If you want a pot, buy a pot. If you want
> a cheap cheesy camp oven, buy a cheap cheesy camp oven. If you want a cast
> iron dutch oven that will bake like an oven, buy a cast iron Lodge.
>
> Everything else is just junk.
>
> Steve

MaxiStep

We have a Cobb and use it every time we go camping. It is really good, cooks
a great roast chicken. The upside is that you cook on about 7-9 heat beads
and there is enough heat left to cook...say Damper or a cake and to heat
water for washing up. The downside is that here in Australia we often have
total fire bans in the country and so cannot use the Cobb.
Best invention since sliced bread.
Cheers
Maxine in Sydney Australia.

Frogleg

>> "Ed" > wrote in message

>> > I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
>> > We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2

>> > 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
>> > items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>> >
>> > Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
>> > that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
>> > although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.

A Dutch oven is a heavy cast-iron pot with a lid. Not what you want.
Look for "camp oven". These appear to be metal boxes you can put on
top of a heat source.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=198246

Wayne Brown

Umm we use two types generally when out in the bush. The camp oven is cast
iron lid fits into the body and as suggested a shovel of coals under it and
a shovel of coals on top. Excellent damper. The other type is mild steel
about the same size lid fits over the main body again shovel of coals top
and bottom. Both away from the fire by metre or so to ensure the coals are
the only heat source. Where possible dig it into a small hole to stop heat
loss from the breeze.
Regards, Wayne
"Jim Dauven" > wrote in message
> Use the Dutch Oven for what it was designed for. Place the Dutch
> oven in the coals of a fire. Heap coals on top of it and bake away.
>
> If you want a stove top oven, coleman makes one that isn't worth
> a crap. I improved on the coleman design by making one of thicker
> metal inner walls, and placing pumice (large grains of volcanic sand)
> between the thicker and inner walls and thin outer wall. The walls
> are 3/8 inch thick held apart by little 1/4 inch dia stand offs
> internally threaded for a #10 screw. The bottom is made from a
> piece of 1/4 inch steel plate. The thing is about 5 times
> heavier than the coleman oven. However the plus side is that it
> takes 1/4 the fuel to heat up and holds the heat much better. In
> fact you have to turn the heat on the stove top down to keep the
> thing from over heating when baking.
>
> The Independent
>

> Strider wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 GMT, "Ed" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail

projects.
> > >We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for

> > >4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> > >items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
> > >
> > >Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef

stove
> > >that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> > >although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
> > >
> > >Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+

people)
> > >that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some

kind
> > >of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane

stove,
> > >with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I

can't
> > >seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be

used
> > >over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast

iron
> > >or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but

still
> > >have good heat distribution?
> > >
> > >We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large

kettles
> > >that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions are welcome!
> > >
> > >Ed Self
> > >

> > Have you tried using the big stew pot as an oven?
> >
> > Heat up the empty kettle on the stove, place an object in the bottom
> > to hold baking pan off the surface, place baking pan with dough on
> > top.
> >
> > I've doen this on a small scale using coals and ashes from the fire.
> >
> > Strider

Ron

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:20:14 +0000, Ed wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm involved with a group that does backcountry volunteer trail projects.
> We haul our gear with llamas and typically cook for 25 or 30 people for 2 to
> 4 days at a time. We've considered using a dutch oven for tasty baked
> items. Gosh, what a treat that would be!
>
> Weight is an issue. We already have a two burner aluminum camp chef stove
> that puts out 25,000 BTU's per burner. The stove only weighs 11 LBS,
> although the propane tank we carry is pretty weighty.
>
> Can you recommend a large dutch oven (suitable for cooking for 20+ people)
> that can be operated on top of a propane stove. I was imagining some kind
> of rectangular box that we could sit on top of our two burner propane stove,
> with a lid to circulate heat above the food for baking purposes. I can't
> seem to find anything except overs that are round and/or designed to be used
> over fire. Most dutch ovens seem to be made of thick heavy metal (cast iron
> or aluminum). Are there any dutch ovens that have thin metal, but still
> have good heat distribution?
>
> We primarily want to use the oven for baking. We already have large kettles
> that we use to cook wet/stewy sorts of food.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Ed Self

IMHO:
The Heavy weight is what makes it do it's job. Something lighter would
not hold the heat needed to bake well.

Ron

Getting to use my new Dutch oven Food Snob® General Cooking 0 13-06-2009 03:18 PM
Is Propane Safe to use on a Gas Stove Indoors? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 4 22-08-2008 10:43 PM
Dutch oven Islands General Cooking 18 27-03-2006 07:32 PM
Which size cast iron Dutch Oven? (for use in oven, not camping) Mike Cooking Equipment 7 15-02-2004 04:57 PM
Dutch oven Darryl L. Pierce General Cooking 31 09-01-2004 03:00 AM