Default How long is oil good for?

I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french fries... how long
should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more a function of use or time? Is
there an easy way to tell when the oil needs to be changed?
hahabogus

Default > wrote in
:

> I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french fries... how
> long should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more a function of use or
> time? Is there an easy way to tell when the oil needs to be changed?

If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If the oil is way
darker than when it frirst went in the deep fryer and if the oil has
absorbed a flavour from the foods cooked (ie fish). Canola oil is normally
good for about a year. But frying at temps near it's smoking point lowers
it's smoking point.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Levelwave©

hahabogus wrote:

> If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If the oil is way
> darker than when it frirst went in the deep fryer and if the oil has
> absorbed a flavour from the foods cooked (ie fish). Canola oil is normally
> good for about a year. But frying at temps near it's smoking point lowers
> it's smoking point.

Does the oil have to be refrigerated?

~john

hahabogus

Levelwave© > wrote in
:

> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If the oil is
>> way darker than when it frirst went in the deep fryer and if the oil
>> has absorbed a flavour from the foods cooked (ie fish). Canola oil
>> is normally good for about a year. But frying at temps near it's
>> smoking point lowers it's smoking point.

> Does the oil have to be refrigerated?
>
> ~john

No, just store the oil in a cool place out of direct sunlight.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Doug Freyburger

Default wrote:

> I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french fries...
> how long should I keep/reuse the oil?

Those are two VERY different questions.

Canola oil in the original sealed container will last years. After
opening unused canola oil still in the container will last a few
years.

The best length of time to use oil in a deep frier is once. Every
time oil is heated it has more transfats. So ideally use as little
as you can and change it daily. As a practical matter consider
changing some of it daily. The more you change the better the fries.

Scott

In article >,

> I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french fries... how long
> should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more a function of use or time? Is
> there an easy way to tell when the oil needs to be changed?

Summary of info from "How to Read a French Fry":

avoid oxygen, light, and moisture--store in the smallest container it'll
fit in, and in a cool, dark place.

Discard when the smoke point drops to close to the frying temperature,
or when it develops off-odors, or becomes noticeably darker than unused
oil.

The book also recommends adding a tablespoon of old (not rancid) oil to
each cup of new--saying that brand-new oil doesn't cook as well as oil
that's broken in a little.

please mail OT responses only