nancree

Default How to crisp the crust on rolls, baguettes, etc.

You can easily freshen and crisp the crusts on rolls, baguettes, etc.
by this easy method:
Wet the crust of the roll. (I hold my hand under a running faucet and
rub the water all over the roll.) Place dampened roll in a toaster
oven (easier and quicker than heating the whole oven). In a minute and
a half you will have a fresh roll with a crust that is crisp to the
touch.
When I buy a baguette, I cut it into thirds, wrapping two of them in
plastic film, and put them in the freezer. Later, I quickly defrost one
in the microwave,(10 seconds) and then wet the crust and put it in the
toaster oven (90 seconds). Voila! A fresh, crisp baguette.
This also works well with the bags of rolls that are sold in
supermarkets.
This is an especially good tip for us one-person-households.
Nancree