Chicken Stock/Broth Ratings

Old 09-04-2005, 02:32 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default Chicken Stock/Broth Ratings

Just a short while ago we had a long discussion of chicken broths. In
the June 2005 issue of Cook's Illustrated are published the results of
its taste test of 18 commercial chicken broths. Rankings of the
finalists are given below.

1.RECOMMENDED (in order of preference)

Swanson certified organic free range chicken broth, in a 32 oz carton

Better Than Bouillon chicken base

Swanson "Natural Goodness" chicken broth in a 32 oz carton. This is
Swanson's low sodium version

Imagine organic free range chicken broth in a 32 oz carton

2. RECOMMENDED WITH RESERVATIONS

College Inn light and fat free chicken broth in 32 oz carton. Some
tasters found it too bland

Orrington Farms chicken flavored soup base and food seasoning in a 16
oz jar of powdered concentrate. Includes beef tallow.

3. NOT RECOMMENDED

Trader Joe's free range chicken broth. "Tasters couldn't make up
their minds whether this broth tastes more like 'bad takeout Chinese
soup' or the 'cardboard' container it comes in. The 'wretched odor'
earned it no extra points".

Kitchen Basics Natural chicken stock. "Not one taster believed this
brand really was chicken broth. 'Medicinal and beefy--are you sure
this is chicken?' asked one worried taster. 'Tastes like Vegemite
tea'. Beads of oil floated on top."

Pacific organic free range chicken broth in 32 oz carton. "One taster
noticed an 'interesting mushroom smell' but that's as positive a
comment as tasters could muster. 'Watery', 'chemical', 'dirty', and
'like an entire vegetable drawer gone bad' were more representative
observations".

Several products were thought not good enough to make it to the final
test round: Telma reduced sodium cube; Carmel kosher chicken soup
base; Shelton's 100% organic chicken broth; Health Valley fat free
chicken broth (can and carton); Campbell's low sodium chicken broth;
Nature's Promise organic chicken broth (carton); Shariann's organic
chicken broth; Herb Ox very low sodium chicken granulated bouillon.

Mac